E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Hea Mercedes MBUX Wici (tips and Tricks) Please share

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 09:33 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Hea Mercedes MBUX Wici (tips and Tricks) Please share

I've driven my car now 7000 miles and I've played with MBUX, I have to admit I'm still learning things. I'm starting this wiki so that all of us can share little tips and tricks that we may have learned. Contributions Welcome

You may have seen Steven, Nick, Doug or the Guru on You Tube when they show MBUX in action. They've all covered a lot of ground I thought it might be helpful to write things down individually. It's in no order.

If you feel any of these instructions are two basic remember that this has to be helpful for everyone... people with experience and people learning it for the first time so if something seems basic just skip over it .

Before I get to some commands some general observations:

With MBUX there are several ways to do everything. I find some things are easier on either the touch screen or the track pad or the steering wheel or via voice commands.

You can be the judge of what works best for you.

*The center screen:

The center touch screen is like a tablet with icons, tabs or windows. If you change something you have to have that window or tab highlighted.

If I try and zoom in our out on the map but the map is not the active window I will change something else. This is basic I know but might help first time users.

I still make a mistake from time to time.

In many ways the center screen is the best/most-reliable/easiest-to-use interface because you touch what you want to do,

The only think I do not like about it is that you have to reach out to touch it.

*The steering wheel controls:

I am still getting the hang of these. For me some of the controls work better than others. The more you use it the better you will get at.

Keep in mind that if you swipe up or down or to the right or left on the controls you have to do it based on the steering wheel controls even if you are turning. This seems simple when you think of it but I got it wrong at first.

When I make a gradual turn so that the controls are NOT at 9 and 3 respectively (as when you are driving straight) I have to be careful to sweep my thumb to the right and left of the controls even if the car is not headed in a straight line.

This makes them work better if you remember.

* The Touch Pad.

This is also very effective and easy to do things. I like it best for some things

Whatever you're doing if you swipe down with two fingers on the touchpad or touch the top center the radio presets come up.

Once again, some things are easier to use than others for certain tasks. The more you play the more you learn.

Please expand on this.

Now for some commands:

To place a call:

* You can use Hea Mercedes: and when prompted:

** Say "Please "Call" Join Smith ... Assuming John Smith is in your phone book.

** Say Please "Call" 212-345-6789 and it will Mercedes will read back the number for you to approve.

The operative word here is "Call" but "Dial" also works.

I find Hea Mercedes will work sometimes and other times not work.

Reading out the number is easier than asking by name. So it's easier to say please dial 212 – 345-6789 then to say please call John Doe.

I find about 50% of the time that I say please call John Doe it doesn't work.

Frequently I will say please call John Doe on his mobile phone and Mercedes will ask me which number I want to call the landline or the mobile. For whatever reason I haven't figured out how to get Mercedes to call the mobile number when I add mobile to the command.

** You can go to your phone book but to me this is the hardest because it requires you to take your concentration off the road and I find the "search" problematic.

You can control the phone book from right side steering wheel controls (hardest) or the track pad or the center dash board screen.

** You can also touch the number on the center touch screen but you have to reach and take your eyes off the road.

** You can write or draw numbers on the track pad but that never worked for me. (I gave up attempting but it might work for you.)

I have to be honest with you and tell you that sometimes I revert to Siri because I find that Siri works better with the phonebook on my phone then hey Mercedes. Also I don't have to use Carplay in order to use Siri. Siri is always listening just like Hea Mercedes

I always try hey Mercedes first because it is faster than invoaking Siri but if it doesn't work I go to Siri.

NAVI:

Hi fine navigation is a little bit better and more reliable but you have to understand how something is listed in the Mercedes database.

Last night I said hey Mercedes navigate me to the Meadowlands. The Meadowlands is a big sports complex where football teams play.

Mercedes gave me a number of Meadowlands branded facilities such as Meadowlands restaurant, Meadowlands gas station, Meadowlands Courtyard hotel and so forth.

I experimented and said please scroll down and sure enough it scroll down in the last entry was the Meadowlands sports complex.

If I searched in Google for Meadowlands then the sports complex would come up first in the restaurants and hotels would come up second.

Why Mercedes does it the other way around I'm not sure. I am sure that if I had known that the Meadowlands was listed in the Mercedes database as Meadowlands sports complex and if I had asked to navigate there I'm sure it would've come up first. So Google uses some sort of AI and Mercedes probably is based alphabetically.

Sending a text

If I say hey Mercedes send the text to John Doe 60% of the time it will work. Once again it does not make the connection to the text can only be sent to a mobile phone so it will ask me which number I want to use. If I remember to say a Mercedes send a text to John Doe's mobile it still asks me which number I want to use.

Reading a text

First of all you can't see the text when the car is moving. I'm okay with it. I have not figured out what command to use to get Mercedes to read the incoming text to me.

If I touch the screen sometimes the text will come up and sometimes it won't but once again it's easier to use Siri for me until someone out there tells me what to do.

Please please post any command suggestions you have.

If anybody understands how to make the map and zoom in and out I'd be grateful for that. I've tried it on the screen by using my fingers like it's a iPad and that seems to work when navigation is activated. However I can't seem to make it work when navigation is not active.

Thanks

Phil