E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Dead Battery, Red Stop Vehicle message, Roadside & Dealership Report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,925 Likes on 3,091 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
After three years the 48V system still isn't sorted. MB is a low quality company with low quality products. The 48V system is one of a heap of examples.

p.s. the 48V system in the industry will be transient, it is a point on the electrification journey, not the destination. This means 48V systems will be orphans at some point with less customer support than today, if that is possible to be imagined.

Last edited by chassis; 10-09-2022 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (10-12-2022)
Old 07-25-2023, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gle 450
Mine 9055km red battery alert just got home with taxi

Originally Posted by chris1109
Adding my experience today to the list of sadness here. We have a 2022 GLE 450 with 1,361 miles total that we took delivery on April 9, 2022 (my wife hasn't been driving it much!).

Today I was about 20 miles into a drive of mostly highway driving when I got a yellow message about the 48v battery, followed immediately by a red "Malfunction" message. Within seconds I lost power and the "Coolant Too Hot Stop Vehicle Turn Engine Off" message appeared.

Unfortunately I was on the highway at highway speed. Fortunately I happened to be in the right lane and was able to get to the shoulder just before a bridge would have meant I was stuck in the right hand lane. I turned the engine off, waited five minutes, turned it back on. The engine info screen showed one temp at maybe 130 with a redline of ~ 240. I believe this is transmission temp? Or maybe coolant temp? The second temp looks like oil and was maybe 220 with a red line of about 275. About 1/2 between the blue and red lines which are presumably low normal vs high normal.

I was able to accelerate from there pretty aggressively back into traffic (thank goodness) and continue on to my destination. I drove back about 25 / 30 miles and neither temp ever got close to the red line.

Called Mercedes service and am waiting on next steps.

Very disappointing. Now my wife is apprehensive about driving it on the highway.

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (07-25-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC
Well this is a quite long thread. My car is a 2024 GLC 300. It failed me on December 25th as the second time of the same failure. So you all know what dealerships have to do, when they get a car in for service. They have to follow the manufacturers recommended service repair. That means they have to do the least line of resistance first, which in my case is a software update. Well that did not work and has left me stranded again. The dealership said they would have to follow the same process from the manufacturer. I live in California and we have lemon laws. If your car experiences two of the same issues, being a new car purchase new under a certain mileage, you are entitled for a manufacturer buyback or a cash compensation. This problem with the cars not starting and the 48 volt or 12V system seems to be riddled across the internet sites. Specifically the GLC website forum. But I am chiming in because there is a process that dealerships have to follow from the manufacturer. So unfortunately we are all victims or guinea pigs in this new technology. I think somebody else posted always by 2 years into a new design. Probably not a bad idea when it comes to automobiles. I'm not sure what I'm going to do or how I'm going to pursue it, but I am doing the homework right now and preparing myself for the worst. Hope you all have the best luck with this issue.

Last edited by RA040624; 12-26-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:14 PM

Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I went back three times. It has not failed me in a year. I am considering my next car will be a 4 door Porsche as a result. I love my AllTerrain but I worry about the 214s If I see that the 214s have the same issue that will be the deal breaker for me.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by SHYJoker
My GLC 2024 after a week and a half of ownership, was at the local trader Joe's only had driven at 4 mi. And open the door. The fans were going full blast and I had a message saying your engines overheated do not drive it. Take it to the dealership for service. Or something like that. Very similar to yours. I started and stopped at a few times. Fans kept going full speed, while I was on the phone to the service desk. They stopped. The next morning. Morning, I started the car and no problems and the engine light was gone. I knew the car was not overheating. So I believe all of these inconveniences or lack of starting or overheating messages. They are all interconnected through the software on these very technical systems. If I have them by this car back I am not sure what I would be getting in the same price point. The real big cell point for me on this GLC 300 was the fuel economy and the fairly posh ride!. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2023, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 193 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 Arriving soon. 24 GLE 450e.
Just wondering why your US spec car is showing metric miles and centigrade temp?
Old 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 E450 All Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by e55phil
I went back three times. It has not failed me in a year. I am considering my next car will be a 4 door Porsche as a result. I love my AllTerrain but I worry about the 214s If I see that the 214s have the same issue that will be the deal breaker for me.
Hey Phil, it's been awhile. As you know, we both had similar problems with our AT's at around the same time. I had to have my 48v battery replaced twice within the first few months I had the car; however, it's been almost 3 years now without any further problems, and I'm strongly considering buying out the lease in April. That said, the AT has been sittling idle for a week while I travel and if I have another problem when I return, that will be the end of it. Are you looking at the Panamera?
Old 12-26-2023, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
Just wondering why your US spec car is showing metric miles and centigrade temp?
Check the original post and author profile. SHYJoker is in Canada where metric is used.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e-class w213
hello, I'm new here in the forum and happy new year to all. I want to say that I have recently had the same problem with this warning on the dashboard of my Mercedes W213 2017 Stop Vehicle See Operators Manual and the photograph of the battery. but for me the strange thing is that the big battery works (also the start stop system is ok), also the small battery, the alternator and it works in a word my car works perfectly as before this message appeared I have already driven nearly 2500 miles with this problem on the dashboard and I know that the problem is somehow small but no one can find it and I just give money and go from service to service,has anyone had the same problem as mine, i still drive the car like this with this problem but i'm worried it won't stop completely and i want to find the problem,