E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Keyless=go and Hands free

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E 350 4Matic, Previous 2018 e300, 2010 E320, 2004 c300, 2000 c class, 1985 380 sl, 1984 190, +
Keyless=go and Hands free

A year ago I purchased my 2021 E350 4matic. At the first service 7,000 miles I requested the advisor look at my trunk. I have never been able to open the trunk with my foot motion. Upon completion of the service the advisor explained that even though it is on the description, it was never installed on my car due to the CHIP shortage created by Covid. And there is no indication of when it will be available.

I thought perhaps I could locate the part and install it or have it installed. However, I cannot find exactly what part (by number) is missing.

Can anyone out there provide any input on this? Please help.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 600 Likes on 455 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
As I understand the situation, the feature, hands free operation of the trunk has been discontinued because of the chip shortage.

It is the missing chip, not a part that needs to put into place. Until the chip is available, the hands free feature will not work.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
Some people seem to think all this is just a matter of putting a chip in. That's not really how this works. The chip shortage means that certain modules are in short supply, so the entire module is missing that controls a certain function. A modern luxury car has around 150 electronic control modules for all of the various subsystems. Each one contains multiple chips. If the HANDS-FREE ACCESS was left out from the factory due to the shortage, then likely the necessary sensor in the bumper was also not installed. So far only the missing HERMES module is being promised to be retrofitted once supply is available again. Everything else is basically just being left out with usually a credit given on the invoice if it's a standard feature that was supposed to be included. People are getting cars with downgraded sound systems, or entire modules just missing. Don't count on those being retrofitted or made available for retrofitting.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-27-2022 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 600 Likes on 455 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by superswiss
Some people seem to think all this is just a matter of putting a chip in. That's not really how this works. The chip shortage means that certain modules are in short supply, so the entire module is missing that controls a certain function. A modern luxury car has around 150 electronic control modules for all of the various subsystems. Each one contains multiple chips. If the HANDS-FREE ACCESS was left out from the factory due to the shortage, then likely the necessary sensor in the bumper was also not installed. So far only the missing HERMES module is being promised to be retrofitted once supply is available again. Everything else is basically just being left out with usually a credit given on the invoice if it's a standard feature that was supposed to be included. People are getting cars with downgraded sound systems, or entire modules just missing. Don't count on those being retrofitted or made available for retrofitting.
As I said it is the chip that is missing and without the chip the hands free feature is inoperative. A credit has been given, I believe $100.. Do not expect in the future to pay $100 to get the module and/or chip.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by JTK44
As I said it is the chip that is missing and without the chip the hands free feature is inoperative. A credit has been given, I believe $100.. Do not expect in the future to pay $100 to get the module and/or chip.
Please read carefully what superswiss writes. Also if you read his other posts, you will find out he is an expert and does not write rubbish.

Yes a chip may be missing but it never is a single separate chip but a complete control unit that contains the chip. No workshop would have the tools to install any missing chips to any of the control units and the rest of the car would likely get confused if a control unit was installed with a missing (main) chip.

Further more, it would not be sufficient to install the missing control unit (and possibly some related parts). The car would need to be coded, the rest of the car would need to be made aware of the new feature, the control unit. This would be done at the dealership with via on-line SCN coding once the VeDoc has been updated.

On a sedan the control unit and the sensors are like this:

Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,125 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
I wonder how these feature deletions will affect a car's VIN decode listing of features. Provided that the list is updated to be an accurate reflection of what is built on the car, then all is good. However, IMO MB does not have a perfect record at this.

My car, for instance, specifies code J8A DSM STAR1 FBS4 REMOTE STARTABLE. But the car is not remote startable, and never has been, because it is not equipped. Thankfully I couldn't care less about remote starting. Just noting that this feature is a glaring error in my otherwise perfect feature list, not built during a ship shortage period (2016 model year).

So, I hope these "chip shortage" driven feature deletions are accurately documented, not only for new car buyers, but also in the lease return business. Dealers will have a difficult time certifying CPO status on these cars if not.
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 E450 All Terrain
Originally Posted by JTK44
My 2022 E450 AT (built but still waiting for a shipping assignment) does not have the rear trunk opener and according to my SA, MB USA will not retrofit to add it back even after chips/other parts become available.