E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Smartphone cable for MBUX media console sockets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Smartphone cable for MBUX media console sockets

After poor information from the dealer, did my due diligence and determined what the correct cable is compliant with the Mercedes MBUX media sockets in the dash center console and inside the arm rest center console.
The correct cable is actually an Apple Lightning cable plug. Since I use an Apple iPhone, the other end of the cable is a USB-C plug.
The actual 7" cable is called a Lighting Cable (.6 ft) Apple MFI Certified, USB C to Lightning. Be sure to purchase a certified quality cable so you will be guaranteed full speed throughput.
May be purchased at Amazon link: May be purchased at Amazon link:

Old 04-28-2022, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
i have a few cheap cables that work perfectly well.
it's true that some might not work, but personally i never had any problems.
In general "apple certified" seems to mean $$$
Old 04-28-2022, 09:24 AM

Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I found that in the center console old it only works for the camera which in my opinion is worthless because you have to turn it on each time. In the cup holder area I find that only that plug works with car play. If I could find a wireless card play adapter that works with MB UX I would buy it. I have found that all cables will charge the phone but only certain cables will work with car play. I also bought a connector on Amazon that is a right angle on both ends so that the cable doesn't stick out into the cup holder.

By the way, my friend has a Dodge truck and he uses car play and it takes up the entire screen on the top half in the bottom half is music much better if you ask me

regards to Egonvdv, he knows this car
Old 04-28-2022, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
i have a few cheap cables that work perfectly well.
it's true that some might not work, but personally i never had any problems.
In general "apple certified" seems to mean $$$
At first I thought like you, Apple means more money: my iPhone was not working with a generic cable: switched to an Apple cable and problem solved.

So it is really hit or miss with a non Apple cable: if it works for you great - but if not then either a different cable or an Apple cable.
The following users liked this post:
Egonvdv (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e55phil
I found that in the center console old it only works for the camera which in my opinion is worthless because you have to turn it on each time. In the cup holder area I find that only that plug works with car play. If I could find a wireless card play adapter that works with MB UX I would buy it. I have found that all cables will charge the phone but only certain cables will work with car play. I also bought a connector on Amazon that is a right angle on both ends so that the cable doesn't stick out into the cup holder.

By the way, my friend has a Dodge truck and he uses car play and it takes up the entire screen on the top half in the bottom half is music much better if you ask me

regards to Egonvdv, he knows this car
I bought this one at 58 euros: Carlinkit 2021 – MINI CarPlay Box pour Mercedes Volvo, prise en charge de la connexion automatique sans fil Bluetooth, chargement | AliExpress
the link says out of stock, but you can find it everywhere on Ali

btw, how do you mean "he knows this car" ?
Old 04-28-2022, 01:08 PM

Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
I bought this one at 58 euros: Carlinkit 2021 – MINI CarPlay Box pour Mercedes Volvo, prise en charge de la connexion automatique sans fil Bluetooth, chargement | AliExpress
the link says out of stock, but you can find it everywhere on Ali

btw, how do you mean "he knows this car" ?

Hi does the Carlinkit work with MBUX? I do not think it does.

When I say that you know this car I mean that you are very knowledgeable. I have seen that you answer many postings and you have good answers. Your posting helped me several times. You gave me the wire diagram is just one example.
Egonvdv (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the kind words :-)

i confirm that that one works with MBUX (which I have in my car too )

EDIT:
@e55phil , there is one thing to keep in mind with the carlinkit box:
SOMETIMES when you click on the navigation or media button, it will show you the carplay menu (IE; waze and music from your phone)
if you want the map or media of the car, then you have to go to the main menu of the car (home) and then click navigation or media.

Last edited by Egonvdv; 04-29-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:13 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
To all....The name Apple does not necessarily mean money. But it always means QUALITY. Amazing how frugal some of the Mercedes owners are.
You are looking for Apple MFI Certified cable.
The cable I provided a link for is only $12.99. I consider that very good value at a reasonable price for a quality build cable.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:41 PM

Received 261 Likes on 167 Posts
The car came with an adapter, but I got this one...works great...I like that it's black:

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-29-2022, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skytop
To all....The name Apple does not necessarily mean money. But it always means QUALITY. Amazing how frugal some of the Mercedes owners are.
You are looking for Apple MFI Certified cable.
The cable I provided a link for is only $12.99. I consider that very good value at a reasonable price for a quality build cable.
It has nothing to do with being Frugal
why would i pay 12 usd for a cable when i can get one for half the price which is EXACTLY the same ?

JTK44 (04-29-2022)