E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

First post! Question about roof rack cross bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2022 | 01:44 PM

E450 All Terrain
First post! Question about roof rack cross bar

Hello everyone, I have not owned a mercedes since the W140C, which was an amazing car but plagued with an immense amount of issues. Vacuum issues, electrical issues, etc. I loved the car, but I swear I would never buy another benz. But here I am, the new owner of a 2022 All Terrain which I incredibly love. However, after installing the roof racks I noticed I can not use the sun roof's slide. Has anyone tried a different rack system other than the MB OEM system? Thank you in advance!
Old 06-08-2022 | 10:22 PM

E450 4Matic Wagon '19, MDX '09, 9-5 Aero '03, 280ZX '79, BelAir '57, VF700S Sabre '84
Hi and congratulations on your wagon.
I have used the Thule Aero bars on my '19 wagon. If I remember correctly the cross bars themselves did not interfere with the panoramic roof, but when using the accessory clamps on the bars I had to be really careful for the glass roof not to hit the bottoms of the bolts when open. I was able to place both of the bars in a position where the roof would open (both tilt and full open).
But between stressing over that and worrying about flying bikes or decapitated bikes, I got the stealth hitch, tray bike rack, and abandoned the roof carrier.

One more memory about those Aero bars, they have a channel on the bottom, which whistled like crazy. Solved it with wrapping the bottom of the bars with a clear protective film (Thule offered a faring/dam for the front bar but I never used it).

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2022 | 09:22 AM

2019 E450 Wagon
Originally Posted by davidhtruong
Hello everyone, I have not owned a mercedes since the W140C, which was an amazing car but plagued with an immense amount of issues. Vacuum issues, electrical issues, etc. I loved the car, but I swear I would never buy another benz. But here I am, the new owner of a 2022 All Terrain which I incredibly love. However, after installing the roof racks I noticed I can not use the sun roof's slide. Has anyone tried a different rack system other than the MB OEM system? Thank you in advance!
My Thule aerobars also interfere with the sunroof, as it slides back it contacts the inner part of the thule 'foot' and stops opening. I suppose one could mount the bars further back, but it looks oddly proportioned if you do. As noted, the roof rack is so loud that I never bother opening the sunroof anyway...
Old 06-09-2022 | 01:13 PM

E450 All Terrain
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13
My Thule aerobars also interfere with the sunroof, as it slides back it contacts the inner part of the thule 'foot' and stops opening. I suppose one could mount the bars further back, but it looks oddly proportioned if you do. As noted, the roof rack is so loud that I never bother opening the sunroof anyway...
I have the Mercedes OEM cross bars and use them all the time to surf, I guess I can throw my board in the back and call it a day but do like the look with the cross bars though