Mercedes E Class suspension squeaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E220D 2017 W213
Mercedes E Class suspension squeaking

Hi guys,

My Mercedes’ started to randomly squeak. It started off when going over humps or dips in the road. Now it’s a constant squeaking noise even when driving especially at low speeds. The noise is coming from the right front driver side. Please see the YouTube link attached of the noise:

https://youtube.com/shorts/uyRDRCjLmVI?feature=share

and

https://youtube.com/shorts/_hMcDOPqoNI?feature=share

I had it checked by a few garages and only 2 identified the same issue.

I was told it could be one of the control arms but not certain which one, however searching on the forums and watching multiple videos I believe it’s this part:

please could you guys advise, any help would be appreciated. Dealers are quoting me £200 just to inspect the car lol.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by A13ul; 06-22-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Car
Does the sound change based on speed? Does applying or depressing the brake have any effect
Old 06-22-2022, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E220D 2017 W213
Originally Posted by th1ef
Does the sound change based on speed? Does applying or depressing the brake have any effect
Hi thanks for the reply,

when driving slowly you can hear the constant noises as per the video. Now it’s just gotten so much worse than before.

Happens mainly on uneven surfaces. When I’m on the dual carriageways for example, it’s not that loud then again, when going anything above 40ish MPH you don’t notice it as much.

Braking I am not sure tbh, I recently got my disc and pads all around changed. So sometimes they squeak as it’s still wearing in.

Last edited by A13ul; 06-22-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Three MB's: GLK, ML & E - Class with Panam Grill
Have the squeaky noise sometimes when temp is cold outside like in the 30's. Do these control arms bushings look fine? They are dry to the touch but doesn't look like they have leaked in the past and maybe the issue?

Dealer saw them and did say a thing.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:48 PM

Also if these front control arms are the cause of the squeaky noise, would the CPO warranty cover them OR they are considered wearables like brakes?
The following users liked this post:
Hennessya (01-15-2023)
Old 12-05-2022, 01:38 PM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W213, C238
I had a control arm replaced under warranty, and it solved the squeaking over humps and dips.
The following users liked this post:
Hennessya (01-15-2023)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:22 PM

Are these control arms filled with liquid like they used to have them and explain the sweating in the pictures?

Also is there a solid document/link someone can provide that says control arms are covered under CPO warranty. Of course my dealer says no even tough I got 45K miles and still under CPO Warranty.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:26 PM

Another observation is that today it was raining and when the suspensions is wet the ride is smooth like silky and no noise. When I got home I open the hood and with my hands lifted and dropped the car by holding the right side cross bracing bar and some small squeaks came out of the right shocks BUT the ride was so smooth and quiet like I just stated when it is raining. Couple questions:

1: Is it normal for the shocks to squeak a bit when you push up and down on one of the cross members under the hood?
2: Could the control arm bushing shown in picture above be torn and when it is wet the center bolt/tube gets lubricated and stops squeaking?
3: Could the sway bar be frozen tight like glued tight to the the sway bar mounts that when it is raining it gets loose and rotate, like it should be, eliminating the intermittent squeaky noise and making the ride so smooth like silk?

By the way I have the 19" AMG run flat tires while everyone knows they are hard, mine feels like I'm driving on steel tires not rubber. Wonder if the sway bar is my problem per observation No.3 above? Again it is intermittent squeak that can't be duplicated when you really need it to show it to the dealer and if they don't hear it they can't fix it and by the time the noise is constant I will be out of my CPO warranty.

Any input to the above three observation is very helpful from what everyone experienced.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:39 PM

Car
Originally Posted by rjz2177
Are these control arms filled with liquid like they used to have them and explain the sweating in the pictures?

Also is there a solid document/link someone can provide that says control arms are covered under CPO warranty. Of course my dealer says no even tough I got 45K miles and still under CPO Warranty.
If you are under warranty take it in and they will locate the sound. I was getting creeking notices going over large dips in the road (not bumps) but dips the type where you would see the car in front of you bounce up and down. They said the bump stops on the shocks needed lubrication, since then the noise went away. I used to have the same issue on my c class but dumped it before it ever got fixed. My e class has 50k and started squeaking like that but as I mentioned they fixed it by lubricating them under warranty.

edit:

I used to get a creaking on my c class front struts when pushing down, I had to replace the struts, contact dealer and take it in if it’s under cpo warranty

Last edited by th1ef; 12-07-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Mine is at 45K still under CPO. To make the diagnosis worse sometimes it only happens when you first drive the car under cold and dry outdoor conditions and one time it happened after a long drive for like 3-4 hours THAN it was REALLY LOUD which I never have a need for a long drive for hours with this car let alone take the shop foreman for on a ride like this.

Any input on my above 3 observations? Specifically; are the shocks supposed to make ANY light squeak when you rock the car hard while emergency brake are off? The reason I'm asking this for the left shock is that the dealer replaced my right shock (only one shock), both shocks bearings and shims; and the two front upper/rear control arms (those with the three anchors) last year for some rattling noise and by doing so those parts fixed that rattling noise last year.

That's the reason I'm thinking about my second observation above about the two other front lower control arms to be the issue since the rideability, in addition to the squeaking, is very hard like driving on steel tires. Unless; for this rideability issue is it possible that a defective sway bar & mounts that are frozen/stuck/glued together has anything to do with hard/stiff ride that you can feel every nick on the road?
Old 12-07-2022, 09:44 PM

Car
If you are under warranty take it in and they will locate the sound. I was getting creeking notices going over large dips in the road (not bumps) but dips the type where you would see the car in front of you bounce up and down. They said the bump stops on the shocks needed lubrication, since then the noise went away. I used to have the same issue on my c class but dumped it before it ever got fixed. My e class has 50k and started squeaking like that but as I mentioned they fixed it by lubricating them under warranty.

edit:

I used to get a creaking on my c class front struts when pushing down, I had to replace the struts, contact dealer and take it in if it’s under cpo warranty
Thanks for the quick reply. Mine is at 45K still under CPO. To make the diagnosis worse sometimes it only happens when you first drive the car under cold and dry outdoor conditions and one time it happened after a long drive for like 3-4 hours THAN it was REALLY LOUD which I never have a need for a long drive for hours with this car let alone take the shop foreman for on a ride like this.

Any input on my above 3 observations? Specifically; are the shocks supposed to make ANY light squeak when you rock the car hard while emergency brake are off? The reason I'm asking this for the left shock is that the dealer replaced my right shock (only one shock), both shocks bearings and shims; and the two front upper/rear control arms (those with the three anchors) last year for some rattling noise and by doing so those parts fixed that rattling noise last year.

That's the reason I'm thinking about my second observation above about the two other front lower control arms to be the issue since the rideability, in addition to the squeaking, is very hard like driving on steel tires. Unless; for this rideability issue is it possible that a defective sway bar & mounts that are frozen/stuck/glued together has anything to do with hard/stiff ride that you can feel every nick on the road?
what is your tire pressure at? I usually run fronts at 38 and rear at 42…
Old 12-07-2022, 11:37 PM

Mine are set by the dealer at 35
Old 12-20-2022, 11:06 PM

Well....Still have 5 months into the CPO...Noise barely ever consistent to show it to the dealer...I give up at the moment till the noise is constant for the dealer to put his finger on it.

Just received Command update to 6.80, and increased tire pressure to 38 on all tires...any possible way that this update may have adjustment on the suspension to make it soft?
Old 12-21-2022, 12:44 AM

Car
Well....Still have 5 months into the CPO...Noise barely ever consistent to show it to the dealer...I give up at the moment till the noise is constant for the dealer to put his finger on it.

Just received Command update to 6.80, and increased tire pressure to 38 on all tires...any possible way that this update may have adjustment on the suspension to make it soft?
no way. It’s in your head
Old 12-22-2022, 12:10 AM

no way. It’s in your head
isn't the adaptive suspension control managed by the computer when choosing comfort versus eco, sport & sport+?

If not; what's "Lowered Suspension w/ Selective Damping" option 677 is about versus the traditional shocks when the car doesn't have air suspension yet its got this "selective damping"???
Old 12-22-2022, 06:05 AM

Car
isn't the adaptive suspension control managed by the computer when choosing comfort versus eco, sport & sport+?

If not; what's "Lowered Suspension w/ Selective Damping" option 677 is about versus the traditional shocks when the car doesn't have air suspension yet its got this "selective damping"???
they are not updating that software — they are only updating the command head unit