E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E350d: Jerks and uneven idle during cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E350d, Skoda Octavia vRS
E350d: Jerks and uneven idle during cold start

Hello all, wish you a happy new year! We welcomed the new year by taking delivery of a long wheelbase E350d:

Although we’re thoroughly enjoying the mini S class experience with the LWB, 6 cyl engine, air suspension, etc. there is one issue that is souring our experience:

During the first start of the day (cold start), when the gearbox is slotted to D or R and the car creeps forward (or under slight acceleration), the RPMs are pretty erratic and the car vibrates/shakes pretty violently. Almost as if the gearbox is lugging the engine. Today, the car stalled in reverse as I was pulling out of the driveway. This behaviour is only experienced during the first few minutes after a cold start and once warmed up, she drives fine. It does get pretty cold in Bangalore, India (10 - 15 degrees C) during the winters but nothing that a car designed for European winters can’t handle.

We’ve escalated the issue with Mercedes and the car is with them now, but wanted to check if anyone else on the forum has experienced something similar with the 9G tronic gearbox or the 3L straight 6 diesel. Appreciate any help/suggestions in diagnosing the issue.

Cheers!
Old 01-15-2023, 03:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 E350W4
I always let my engine warm up a bit until the Tach shows a drop in RPM. Only takes a minute or 2.

I had some jerks in downshifting from 3 to 2. Dealer upgraded software and that fixed it.

2021 E350