E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Brake rotors as well as pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 04:43 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
E300
Brake rotors as well as pads?

My 2017 E300 has about 38,000 miles. A message on the instrument panel says it needs brake repairs and my dealer confirmed this. I’m taking it to an independent mechanic for the work. The question : should I just get the pads replaced or both pads and rotors? The car obviously has low mileage for its age. The mechanic says Mercedes recommends doing both. He also says the main issue would be brake noise if the rotors aren’t replaced but there’s no safety issue. He wants about $1000 to do both and $600 for the pads alone. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 447 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve
My 2017 E300 has about 38,000 miles. A message on the instrument panel says it needs brake repairs and my dealer confirmed this. I’m taking it to an independent mechanic for the work. The question : should I just get the pads replaced or both pads and rotors? The car obviously has low mileage for its age. The mechanic says Mercedes recommends doing both. He also says the main issue would be brake noise if the rotors aren’t replaced but there’s no safety issue. He wants about $1000 to do both and $600 for the pads alone. Thanks.
My brake light just came on. Just had the rear pads and rotors done on 2019 E450 at 31,000 miles. Cost me $1,000 with MB parts by my indy mechanic.

My rear rotors were very badly scored and had to be replaced. I had no choice.

Interesting the front drilled rotors are like new with lots of life left on the pads. I had always thought front pads and rotors wear out before rear as most of the braking is done by the front. My shop speculated that the electronic brakes on the rear may have caused the pads to wear out first and caused the scoring of the rotors. It was not a stone, etc. in the pads because both the left and right rear rotors were badly scored .

When it comes time to change the front pads, if the rotors look like they do now (like new) and upon measurement they are within new specs I will not replace them.

There is no harm in replacing rotors when you do the pads: it just might be unnecessary. BTW, the rear rotors from MB cost me $200 a piece - total $400. I think the drilled front rotors are more.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 713 Likes on 530 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Are we sure the warning light is for the pad wear indicator and not something else in brake system?

I am sure MB sets off the warning lights for all sorts of stuff.