LED headlight swap RHD to LHD Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220d amg line
LED headlight swap RHD to LHD Options?

Hello
We have a UK W213 ('19) and have registered it in France. The flat beam of the HP LED headlights is not great for night driving (Lot of flashes from oncoming road users). I would rather change these for European lights as the existing are left road use only.
1. Is the swap of HP LED to HP LED coding free? Can a Bosch centre do this?
2. Is it coding free with the hella after market parts?
3. Can the ballast units be swapped with the lights? does that affect coding requirements?
4. Change to multibeam LED from HP LED, anyone offering this service in Kent or North of France?
5. Can the coding be done with the OBD xentry or the direct only?

I have asked dealers in the area the above, without success.
Cheers
Old 01-09-2023, 11:22 AM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
The answer is very simple and I have this on my car. This answer is predicated on you having the top spec multibeam headlights (projectors are next to the radiator grill). If you have the UK standard LED headlights (projectors on the outside of the headlight by the wing) then you have to buy new units as there is an internal reflector that creates the beam pattern.

There is only one headlight for the multibeam and the part number reflects whether it is LHD (right side traffic) or RHD (left side traffic) coded. There is is no reflector or similar and everything is controlled by coding. My UK was permenantly exported to Germany and Comand UK in Lightwater (Surrey) recoded my car from left to right side traffic and installed a 2nd rear fog light (needs a new left and side tailgate light unit). Coding is done via Xentry, but may be possible with other code readers.

Hopefully this helps? If it does PM me with a whatsapp number and we can chat and i'll put you in touch with Comand UK in LIghtwater, or you can get MB to code it. They were about 25% more expensive but my local dealer here in Germany would have done it for me without any issues.
The following users liked this post:
DanR200 (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:49 PM
SPONSOR

Received 814 Likes on 631 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by DanR200
Hello
We have a UK W213 ('19) and have registered it in France. The flat beam of the HP LED headlights is not great for night driving (Lot of flashes from oncoming road users). I would rather change these for European lights as the existing are left road use only.
1. Is the swap of HP LED to HP LED coding free? Can a Bosch centre do this?
2. Is it coding free with the hella after market parts?
3. Can the ballast units be swapped with the lights? does that affect coding requirements?
4. Change to multibeam LED from HP LED, anyone offering this service in Kent or North of France?
5. Can the coding be done with the OBD xentry or the direct only?

I have asked dealers in the area the above, without success.
Cheers

I code by remote
maybe I should make bigger ADDs
The following users liked this post:
Bfgslkman (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 12:25 PM

e220d amg line
Hello Benzninja,
Remote coding is interesting and may be an option I take, but it only answers part of the questions above.
I'm trying to work out the best path and am looking to the forum for a bit of clear guidance on the various options.
Cheers
Dan
Old 03-01-2023, 09:30 AM

e220d amg line
Headlight change update!
1. Team talk with Bfgslkman Thank you for your time.
2. Vin number taken and Merc database checked.
3. Make appointment.
Most economic option, based on the configuration in my machine was for a straight swap from LED HP RHD to LED HP LHD.
This re-used the existing electronic module which is bolted under the light fittings.
Then they are synced and headlight coding updated from 631 to 632 (or vice versa) with the datacard.
Also done at the same time was the addition of a left rear fog light unit (to comply with french regs) no coding required.

And the necessary was done by Comand in Lightwater. Thank you Gents.

To change to any of the other spec of headlights from LED HP requires adding modules, cabling. Radar & camera upgrades plus programming. Budget-wise this starts to get silly.

Cheers
Dan
Old 02-07-2024, 02:14 PM

W212 E350 cabrio
Originally Posted by DanR200
Headlight change update!
1. Team talk with Bfgslkman Thank you for your time.
2. Vin number taken and Merc database checked.
3. Make appointment.
Most economic option, based on the configuration in my machine was for a straight swap from LED HP RHD to LED HP LHD.
This re-used the existing electronic module which is bolted under the light fittings.
Then they are synced and headlight coding updated from 631 to 632 (or vice versa) with the datacard.
Also done at the same time was the addition of a left rear fog light unit (to comply with french regs) no coding required.

And the necessary was done by Comand in Lightwater. Thank you Gents.

To change to any of the other spec of headlights from LED HP requires adding modules, cabling. Radar & camera upgrades plus programming. Budget-wise this starts to get silly.

Cheers
Dan
Hello Guys,

Interesting, I just imported a E350 W212 (2011) from Japan. The sterringwheel is on the left, however they also drive left there. In the car menu there is an option to change the light modes, however the vision of the lights is flat and not accepted during the examination. So i am curious if by coding the lights can be changed for LHD traffic. Hope somebody can answer this one, hoping to prevent buying new units.

Thanks,

Ricardo
Old 02-07-2024, 04:02 PM
SPONSOR

Received 814 Likes on 631 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by RicardoNL
Hello Guys,

Interesting, I just imported a E350 W212 (2011) from Japan. The sterringwheel is on the left, however they also drive left there. In the car menu there is an option to change the light modes, however the vision of the lights is flat and not accepted during the examination. So i am curious if by coding the lights can be changed for LHD traffic. Hope somebody can answer this one, hoping to prevent buying new units.

Thanks,

Ricardo

You can try enable Tourist mode by coding
tourist mode enables a mode in Lights settings to switch RHD to LHD