E350e or E350d

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi Q3
E350e or E350d

Hi all,

Hope you can help answer a few Qs regarding the Merc hybrid cars. I've read that they have reliability issues and that they aren't really worth it due to the outlay. Just wanted to see if that's the common consensus on this forum? I've seen one on Autotrader - 2018 Blue Mercedes-Benz E Class 2.0 E350e 6.4kWh AMG Line (Premium Plus) Saloon 4dr Petrol Plug-in Hybrid G-Tronic+ Euro 6 (s/s) (299 ps) for sale for £25,944 in Winchester, Hampshire (autotrader.co.uk)
I do a mix of city and motorway driving, so it seems on paper at least, a good idea to get a hybrid.

Secondly if the above is a no-go, just wanted to see what peoples opinions are on whether its worth spending a little more and getting an E350d over an E220d. Also, is the Air suspension a must?

Ta.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
W213 e300 MY19 (Aus market)
This is very subjective and strictly based on my preferences and tastes:

I was in the market here for a 2019 e350d - I feel the OM656 2.9L I6 engine is quieter and very reliable. But diesels are not very popular down under so I couldn't find one to my liking and at a good price when I was buying. So we ended up buying a 2020 e300 demonstrator optioned out with all the bells and whistles, that was sitting on the dealer lot during covid lockdowns. I did test drive a 2018 e220d though and while I liked it, the missus wanted the creature comforts of the E300 premium options.

As for air suspension - my e300, the specific e220d we test drove and all E350ds down under have it. It is amazing only when you have 18" wheels or smaller. Sadly all models down under with air suspension come with 20" AMG rims which are outright uncomfortable, crashy and jarring when crossing a crack on the road. The reason I like the air suspension is that when you switch to Sport mode or Sport+ the car hunkers down and stiffens up, so it's great and flat on twisty roads at speed - there's very little body roll. On the other hand in Comfort mode the car becomes a luxury barge punting down the Thames (at 70mph). The base standard suspension is said to be comfortable and better damped than the air suspension, but always introduces some body roll at fast cornering. The air suspension gives you best of both worlds. If you like sporty driving, get the air suspension. I downsized my wheels to 18" after 5 months of tolerating the crashy 20"s and now it's the most beautiful riding thing.

I did not entertain the e300e because it is said to be prone to having problems and needing expensive repairs. Also the steep step in the boot turned me off as we do long road trips with lots of boxes, odd items and luggage.

Last edited by aks_19_ak; 04-04-2023 at 09:01 PM.