2019 E300 - Check Coolant Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C Class 2016
2019 E300 - Check Coolant Level

Hello folks,

Yesterday morning I saw this message: Check Coolant Level See Operator's Manual. I have an appointment to have the car checked in a couple of days.

After seeing the message, I drove it for around 5 miles to Costco to see if the engine got super hot. It did not. The temperature gauge was showing the normal (in the middle) temperature. On my way back from Costco, I turned on the car, and no message. This morning I saw the message again before driving to work. I drove around 10 miles to work and, again, the temperature was fine. I will see if I get the message again this afternoon when I drive back home.

My obvious question: Has this happened to you in the past? Do I try to add more coolant before taking it to a shop, and see how it goes? I found the below coolant from Autozone that is supposed to work with European cars. Happy to buy something of better quality / more expensive if you guys have a recommendation.

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-...0b3/720576_0_0

Thank you for all the advice!
Old 10-10-2023, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by zz2017
Hello folks,

Yesterday morning I saw this message: Check Coolant Level See Operator's Manual. I have an appointment to have the car checked in a couple of days.

After seeing the message, I drove it for around 5 miles to Costco to see if the engine got super hot. It did not. The temperature gauge was showing the normal (in the middle) temperature. On my way back from Costco, I turned on the car, and no message. This morning I saw the message again before driving to work. I drove around 10 miles to work and, again, the temperature was fine. I will see if I get the message again this afternoon when I drive back home.

My obvious question: Has this happened to you in the past? Do I try to add more coolant before taking it to a shop, and see how it goes? I found the below coolant from Autozone that is supposed to work with European cars. Happy to buy something of better quality / more expensive if you guys have a recommendation.

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-...0b3/720576_0_0

Thank you for all the advice!
Scan codes, what do you see? If you don’t have a code reader a retail auto parts store can do it for you. Could be failed valve or sensor controlling coolant flow.

What is the actual coolant level in the reservoir?

Last edited by chassis; 10-10-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 03:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
E300 de T 2021
Had same message on E220 and it was just level slightly low when cold and barely ok when warm. Checked with MB and just added coolant.