E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

TIRE - Road Hazard Coverage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 03:32 PM

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts
E400 Wagon; 2010 ML350; 08 CLK350 Cabriolet; 69 SL280
TIRE - Road Hazard Coverage

In March of 2022 I purchased 4 Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season ROF from my local dealer, for 2 reasons: 1> they had the best deal at the time and Mercedes offers 2 Year Road Hazard Coverage.
From Mercedes tire Center Site:
"Road Hazard Coverage
Life happens. We have you covered.

Keep your tires protected with complimentary 24-month road hazard coverage included on eligible tires.* Receive 100% replacement coverage in the first year and 50% replacement coverage in the second year.
Unlike other tire stores that charge for this coverage, the MBUSA Tire Program includes it on all eligible tire purchases – including MO Tires.

*Eligibility requirements, restrictions, and other exclusions apply. See participating dealer for complete details."

Last week I noticed there was significant air loss in my rear passenger tire, took it the dealer, tire had to be replaced, figured as much, cost of a new tire $349.00, so I figured it would cost me $174.00 not including mounting etc. Service advisor came back and said that the warranty company approved the $100.00 towards replacement - they prorated the old tire. I stated that Mercedes ad states they cover 50% of the replacement and there is ZERO mention of prorating. And this is just wrong, Service advisor pulled up the exact warranty information and came back and said I was right there is no mention of prorating, and they would honor the 50%, she said that she called the warranty company that handles this and explained what the warranty states - to which she got a kind of too bad, so sorry but tough response. She was ticked!
So, everyone out there that bought tires from Mercedes - don't let them fleece you with their prorated nonsense. The ad is a legal document until they change it, or have a * that explains there are exceptions.
The following users liked this post:
JTK44 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
How much tread was left on the tires? Pro-rated is pretty standard. Costco does pro-rated also but they give you a 5 year road hazard warranty. I mean a $100 credit on $350 tire means that you just had 28% of usable tread left on the tire? I've gotten flats before where the tire had most of the tread left but it was in the outer rib so couldn't be repaired so I'd rather have a pro-rated warranty than one that just did 50%.
Old 10-24-2023, 08:50 AM

Thanks for asking, the car went thru state inspection at the end of September and showed 8/32nds on each tire. as a typical new tire is measured with 10/32” to 11/32”of tread depth.
So, I'd say the tires were still fairly new. I have almost exclusively used Firestone/Bridgestone tires and would have when I got the Goodyear's, but Firestone offers NO Road Hazard on run flats.
Plus, the MB deal was the best deal around, paid $1039.93 for all four tires installed and aligned, about $260.00 a tire.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by makiii
Thanks for asking, the car went thru state inspection at the end of September and showed 8/32nds on each tire. as a typical new tire is measured with 10/32” to 11/32”of tread depth.
So, I'd say the tires were still fairly new. I have almost exclusively used Firestone/Bridgestone tires and would have when I got the Goodyear's, but Firestone offers NO Road Hazard on run flats.
Plus, the MB deal was the best deal around, paid $1039.93 for all four tires installed and aligned, about $260.00 a tire.
Yeah, next time just go to Costco. You're lucky it was within the 2 year period. Firerocks haven't been too popular since they were OEM on the Ford Exploders and blew out.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:36 PM

If you’re old enough to remember the Firestone 500 (1978) they recalled 14.5 million tires, replaced with brand new. The 500’s had over 40k miles on them, so they didn’t owe me anything. I was lucky because those tires were just dangerous. As I have bought cars they’ve had Michelins; Pirellis; Continentals and have changed them out for Firestone brands, would have this last time but MB doesn’t offer them in my size.
so in over 45 years I have never had a problem with the Firestone brand.
I like them even if others don’t, I can live with it
Old 10-27-2023, 08:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E43
Road hazard covers an incident such as hitting a pothole causing a bubble, tear in the sidewall, etc. The tires were probably pro-rated because they processed the claim as excessive tread wear warranty rather than road hazard.

We buy tires for ll of our cars through Tire Rack and have a local installer mount them for us. On our cars with scraped up rims we use a local Firestone for under $130 to mount four tires, On my car with mint rims I pay $50 per wheel to have a someone at a local repair shop with experience do the mounting. Tire Rack includes two years of road hazard We took advantage of this coverage one time on my wife's car and had no issue getting the tire replaced. No pro-rating. Local tire shop had to take pictures and and submit the claim for us. I really recommend tire rack.

We don't have a Costco local but do have a BJ Warehouse membership. I've looked at tires through them for our cars but it is very random what they have and while their prices are competitive they tend to have the more expensive models of tires. Looking forward to the local Costco in the process of being built to see what hey can offer for these odd size tires.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SpeedracerZ
Road hazard covers an incident such as hitting a pothole causing a bubble, tear in the sidewall, etc. The tires were probably pro-rated because they processed the claim as excessive tread wear warranty rather than road hazard.

We buy tires for ll of our cars through Tire Rack and have a local installer mount them for us. On our cars with scraped up rims we use a local Firestone for under $130 to mount four tires, On my car with mint rims I pay $50 per wheel to have a someone at a local repair shop with experience do the mounting. Tire Rack includes two years of road hazard We took advantage of this coverage one time on my wife's car and had no issue getting the tire replaced. No pro-rating. Local tire shop had to take pictures and and submit the claim for us. I really recommend tire rack.

We don't have a Costco local but do have a BJ Warehouse membership. I've looked at tires through them for our cars but it is very random what they have and while their prices are competitive they tend to have the more expensive models of tires. Looking forward to the local Costco in the process of being built to see what hey can offer for these odd size tires.
Pretty much any local tire store around here will price match TireRack and then when you buy them from the local tire store, it's cheaper because mounting/balancing is sometimes included so it ends up costing less. Plus they usually throw in free balancing or rotation. One chain throws in a free front end alignment but they didn't offer free balancing or road hazard. Costco basically has the same price as TireRack, but lately they've been doing the free installation on Michelin so you basically get the 5 year road hazard, balancing/mounting/rotation/tire repair for free. The local one also just put in a couple free nitrogen air inflation pumps. Costco has a decent reputation for paying well and I actually see them using a torque wrench on lug nuts. The one around here has lots of BMWs, Audi, Mercedes, Corvettes and other high end cars there.