E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 E400 Wagon Shock Mounts (rear)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 05:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 M-B E400 4Matic Wagon AMG-Line
2017 E400 Wagon Shock Mounts (rear)

Again, posting here because the tech forums don't seem to get much traffic.

US model 2017 E400 4Matic wagon has a thunking sound from the upper shock area when driving on rough roads at low speed (probably would make the same noise at higher speed but I try not to thrash my car). Specifically, the right side.

My indy guy (who I trust) says the shock mount is worn. Problem is, he can't find a separate shock mount; the only way to replace the mount is to also replace the entire shock at $300-ish per side (I'm going to replace both sides). He generally only buys genuine M-B parts and that's what M-B told him.

Anyone know if you can buy just the shock mount? I found a place (AutohausAZ) that says it's the right part but the diagram showed a coil spring and my car has the air suspension (as did all 2017 wagons).
shock mount

Or why this mount is so much cheaper?
cheap shock mount

Both say they fit my exact vehicle...

Lots of really knowledgeable people on this forum. Hoping someone can tell me if I can save $200+ in parts for this job.

Last edited by MNIAW; 06-20-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 M-B E400 4Matic Wagon AMG-Line
Originally Posted by MNIAW
Anyone know if you can buy just the shock mount? I found a place (AutohausAZ) that says it's the right part but the diagram showed a coil spring and my car has the air suspension (as did all 2017 wagons).
shock mount

Or why this mount is so much cheaper?
cheap shock mount

Both say they fit my exact vehicle...
After doing more research, I'm 98% sure the first part linked above is for the coil spring which my car does not have.

The cheaper mount appears to be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure. All of the official M-B diagrams show the upper mount only as a part of the shock itself. In the fitment notes of the cheaper mount, it says "17-17 - E400 Base, 4Matic
Rear Upper ~ Body Type: Wagon". When I plug the part number into a M-B parts site, it says it does not fit my car (and costs $110).

Color me confused...

Last edited by MNIAW; 06-21-2024 at 10:29 AM.