E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Brake Discs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2024, 07:25 PM

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
W221/W222/W213/X290
Brake Discs

Hi everyone. Searched the forums but couldn't find any solid threads about OEM vs Brembo brake discs for the W213. I'm due to replace my brake pads on my E class (and rotors because they seem to be warped). I've only bought genuine MB brakes the past 3-4 times now and i'm not happy with them. There is a lot of brake dust and the rotors seem to deform within one New England season. Seems like I hit a puddle of water while the rotors are hot and they're no good.

My question is: has anyone tried out the Brembo rotors?

I've bought Brembo OEM rotors for my S63 AMG, but the OEM rotors that come on the S Class are actually from Brembo, so I never had any problems. Does anyone know how the OE Brembo "aftermarket" rotors & pads would hold up on the W213 like the ones pictured above? Any input is appreciated!
Old 09-22-2024, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 602 Likes on 457 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Rotors are almost 1 inch thick and extremely difficult to warp. If you have warped rotors, when you lightly touch the brakes, you will feel a slight thumping, similar to when ABS is activated.

Is this what you feel when applying the brakes? In not then your rotors are not warped.

Rotors can be scored especially the rear where the parking brake is electronic. If you let your car sit for several days, or it rains, etc. the rear brakes may not release when you put the car in either drive or reverse and when you go you may hear a thud, etc. That is the electronic brake not releasing the that can cause the rear rotors to be scored which happened to my E450.

To prevent this, I now release the brakes with the brake switch on the left bottom side of the dash. No longer hear or have an "thud". Problem solved.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:02 AM

W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by JTK44
Rotors are almost 1 inch thick and extremely difficult to warp. If you have warped rotors, when you lightly touch the brakes, you will feel a slight thumping, similar to when ABS is activated.

Is this what you feel when applying the brakes? In not then your rotors are not warped.

Rotors can be scored especially the rear where the parking brake is electronic. If you let your car sit for several days, or it rains, etc. the rear brakes may not release when you put the car in either drive or reverse and when you go you may hear a thud, etc. That is the electronic brake not releasing the that can cause the rear rotors to be scored which happened to my E450.

To prevent this, I now release the brakes with the brake switch on the left bottom side of the dash. No longer hear or have an "thud". Problem solved.

Hope this helps.
I feel them pulsating at low and especially higher speeds when braking. I live in a climate where it's constantly either -10 C or +35 C and I drive pretty spiritually for the most part. I've gone through the same issue with my W212 E350 in the past and when using a different brand of rotor the issue stopped.

As for the rear parking brake, If i leave my car for a long period of time I disengage it. Also when I do my yearly brake fluid flush and inspection my self, I always check if there are any marks or anything left behind. I once kept the parking brake on for a week and had to really hit the brakes hard to get rid of the thumping that the parking brake left behind on the rotors.

I believe my rotors are actually warped.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,369 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by Billyismyname
I feel them pulsating at low and especially higher speeds when braking. I live in a climate where it's constantly either -10 C or +35 C and I drive pretty spiritually for the most part. I've gone through the same issue with my W212 E350 in the past and when using a different brand of rotor the issue stopped.

As for the rear parking brake, If i leave my car for a long period of time I disengage it. Also when I do my yearly brake fluid flush and inspection my self, I always check if there are any marks or anything left behind. I once kept the parking brake on for a week and had to really hit the brakes hard to get rid of the thumping that the parking brake left behind on the rotors.

I believe my rotors are actually warped.
How long have you had those rotors on in time and mileage? Genuine and OE rotors should NOT warp because they get splashed with water. I have over 50,000 miles and 10 years on the original rotors on my SL400. WRT brake dust, that is a function of your pads, not the rotors. I have gone with a good ceramic pad that works well with minimal dust.
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
Billyismyname (09-23-2024), JTK44 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 01:36 PM

W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by JettaRed
How long have you had those rotors on in time and mileage? Genuine and OE rotors should NOT warp because they get splashed with water. I have over 50,000 miles and 10 years on the original rotors on my SL400. WRT brake dust, that is a function of your pads, not the rotors. I have gone with a good ceramic pad that works well with minimal dust.
I agree that they shouldn't. This is the second pair i've had on my E300 and it's the same story. I've had them on for 55,000 miles give or take. Still plenty of meat left on them. Pads have already been replaced twice with these set of rotors.

I spoke with my Uncle in Slovenia this morning and we casually got into rotors and brakes. He said that he has the same problem on his wagon (2015 E Class) and that he doesn't care to change them out anymore. Unsure if just because we drive a little more aggressive or not but I don't believe that should be happening with these rotors seeing how big and thick they are.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,369 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
I'm curious, do you have HD Brakes or option code U28? That's what I have on my SL and have never had a problem. I don't track the car, but it is heavy. I have standard brakes on my C350, but it does have option code 486 for Sport Suspension (which probably has nothing to do with the brakes). Again, never a problem with warping rotors.

Brembo is the OE manufacturer of Mercedes brakes, so I don't know if you would have better luck with them. I do know that if you purchase from FCP Euro, they do have a lifetime replacement warranty on failed or just worn-out parts. At least you wouldn't be having to buy new all the time.
Old 09-24-2024, 12:02 AM

W221/W222/W213/X290
Originally Posted by JettaRed
I'm curious, do you have HD Brakes or option code U28? That's what I have on my SL and have never had a problem. I don't track the car, but it is heavy. I have standard brakes on my C350, but it does have option code 486 for Sport Suspension (which probably has nothing to do with the brakes). Again, never a problem with warping rotors.

Brembo is the OE manufacturer of Mercedes brakes, so I don't know if you would have better luck with them. I do know that if you purchase from FCP Euro, they do have a lifetime replacement warranty on failed or just worn-out parts. At least you wouldn't be having to buy new all the time.
I have the big drilled AMG rotors that come on the E43 and E53 models like in the original picture i've posted. They're really hefty and thick like i've mentioned. I don't know if they're actually warped or not though. I checked all four rotors and pads today and the rears are almost shot. Took off the caliper and checked the pistons to make sure there wasn't any rust. Pressed the brake and the pistons slid out a little to check on them. They were like a mirror. Checked the rubber boots and they were fine as well. Front brakes and rotors still have 50%. I will change out just the rear R + P's and see if it still shakes and pulsates.

I did also change out the brake fluid today for the second time @ 140,000 miles. Fluid was literally dark. A lot darker than when I changed the fluid out @ 70,000 miles. Went on a drive and still pulsated and felt the same. However, the brakes did feel a lot smoother and pleasant to compress.