E-Class (W214) 2024 -

Old BMW guy buys a Benz. I'm officially a cliche.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 782 Likes on 618 Posts
For the most part EVs are not suitable for a one car family. In Florida it is easy to deplete the battery due to the 100% A/C duty cycle. I rented a Tesla for a week and the purported 310 mile range turned out to be closer to 200 miles. Battery charging is a major issue. EVs cost more to purchase and service is almost non-existent. The closest service for my neighbor's Tesla is 40 miles away. Her car has needed lots of warranty service for everything from battery to suspension. Maybe in 20 or 30 years when charging is as easy as filling a gas tank EV's will be practical.
The following users liked this post:
fju2112 (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 08:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E320 4matic 92K (bought 12/20/06). 2000 E430 4matic (RIP 12/9/06) :(
Originally Posted by Crito
That's interesting because I'd say that the price gouging energy racketeers at Shell and Exxon aren't our friends. And despite fake TV news blaming coal burning China for global warming, they've actually done more to combat climate change than the USA has. 25% of all cars sold in China are now electric. In fact, if you look into NIO they've invested heavily in nuclear fusion energy and their battery swapping technology also eliminates all your recycling concerns.

The real problem is political appointees who know little or nothing about the industries they're been allowed to captain.
Political appointees should not be "captaining" anything - the free market should be deciding what we drive, not government officials.

I don't think EVs are "combating climate change" - there's a breakeven point that takes years and years vs. a petrol powered car in terms of the manufacturing process, total emissions, etc. And what happens to the battery waste?

Nuclear is pretty much zero emissions - why don't I ever hear environmentalists talk about that? Do some research on where the waste goes and how heavily regulated the radioactive waste is - that's where you want to be for cheap, reliable energy, not renewables. People are understandably hesitant, so I say, natural gas is the next best thing, which again, is responsible for most of the electricity I use - with coal, oil, and nuclear the next three sources, based on my electric bill. How are EVs combating climate change if the grid is fueled by fossil fuels, exactly? My point with the comment you quoted is that fossil fuels are essential to every civilization on earth right now, and that will be the case for a long, long time.

By the way, how is all that lithium currently mined? By heavy machinery and a LOT of diesel fuel.

ICE engines have come a long, long way just in the past 20 years, let alone previously, to do a lot more with a lot less in terms of power output and pollution. They just aren't the polluting, smoky machines from the 60s and 70s people imagine.

I'll stick with my ICE engine. If you think you're doing the world a favor with an EV, keep thinking that and have fun. Your choice.
Holtgraver (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 03:34 PM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
SL63
[QUOTE=Crito;8960383]That's interesting because I'd say that the price gouging energy racketeers at Shell and Exxon aren't our friends. And despite fake TV news blaming coal burning China for global warming, they've actually done more to combat climate change than the USA has. 25% of all cars sold in China are now electric. In fact, if you look into NIO they've invested heavily in nuclear fusion energy and their battery swapping technology also eliminates all your recycling concerns.

The real problem is political appointees who know little or nothing about the industries they're been allowed to captain.

/QUOTE]

Chinese electric powered vehicles, aren’t zero emission. They are coal powered. China has not done more to reduce emissions than the US. They have averaged building a new coal fired power plant(to power electric vehicles) every week.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:36 PM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by Holtgraver
It's been quite a few years and I have not gotten used to the new BMW huge grills. I still think the grossly enlarged kidney grills are horrible - keeps me away from newer BMWs.
Talk about big ugly radiator grills, look at the Lexus line, then compare them to an open baleen whale mouth.
Holtgraver (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 560 Likes on 415 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by mykel79
When they're a few years old, the batteries are useless and replacing them is prohibitively expensive.
It seems that someone has found value in recycling the lithium batteries in the US:
https://electrek.co/2024/04/11/north...terials-plant/

I was surprised to read this but I guess the numbers added up and made sense because I'm sure it's not cheap but it must be cheaper than mining new lithium for this to come to fruition.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 905 Likes on 695 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by wildta
It seems that someone has found value in recycling the lithium batteries in the US:
https://electrek.co/2024/04/11/north...terials-plant/

I was surprised to read this but I guess the numbers added up and made sense because I'm sure it's not cheap but it must be cheaper than mining new lithium for this to come to fruition.
The article doesn't say how large the government grants are that make it a viable business.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by streborx
The article doesn't say how large the government grants are that make it a viable business.
It doesn't appear that they have received any federal funding so far:
https://www.usaspending.gov/recipient

The most recent round of federal funding related to this space was awarded here:
https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles...se-iii-winners

Last edited by wildta; 04-27-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Holtgraver (04-27-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by wildta
It doesn't appear that they have received any federal funding so far:
https://www.usaspending.gov/recipient

The most recent round of federal funding related to this space was awarded here:
https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles...se-iii-winners
And here's an article from Bloomberg News today. While we might be seeing EVs failing to sell on dealer lots today. They will be forced to rid of their inventories by selling them at a discount, and further increasing EV ownership and adoption with buyers finding "good deals." A second wave of cheaper EVs might come sometime afterwards using lower cost batteries made with recycled lithium, cobalt, etc.

Holtgraver (04-28-2024)