E-Class (W214) 2024 -

USB-C Thumb Drive Solutions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2024 | 08:29 PM
Veteran: Army

W214 E450
USB-C Thumb Drive Solutions

Ever since getting my 2025 E450 I've been searching for an ideal solution to using a USB thumb drive for music in the car that doesn't stick out far and won't break off from accidentally getting bumped all the time. In my W212, it had a regular USB-A port and finding a low profile such as the
SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive
was easy and it worked great. It stuck out at most 5mm which was just enough to get your fingers around it to pull it out. In fact, it was sometimes hard to get a good hold of. In the new W214 it has only USB-C ports making me have to look for another solution. I prefer to use a USB drive to play music in my car rather than any other method. In the W212, my options were Bluetooth from phone, CD, and USB. I have a decent CD collection that I've taken time to rip (backup) as MP3 so I can listen to my music on my phone, car, and motorcycle. With the fantastic Burmester 4D sound system, I've upped my game and decided to rip all of my CDs again as FLAC files which take up a much more space but with the larger thumb drives available today in 256GB, 512GB, and even 1TB, that is not an issue any longer. For my needs, 256GB is actually plenty for the size collection I have even with using FLAC format.

My first thought was to get a USB-C thumb drive that is low profile like the SanDisk Cruzer Fit. After much searching, I could not find any. There was one that looked promising (picture below) but the size maxed out at 64GB and the reviews are bad with some saying it failed early. I needed something at least 128GB and ideally 256GB for my USB music. In addition, I need another USB thumb drive for the dash-camera and wanted 512GB to allow for a longer record time before old footage got deleted. After failing to find any super low profile USB-C thumb drives that have those capacities, I turned to converting my tried and true SanDisk Cruzer Fit with a USB-C adapter. I settled on a 90° USB-C M to USB-A F adapter. This worked but because the adapter between A and C it was not as low profile as I would like. This made it still stick out a bit more than I hoped. Not satisified, I searched for another solution and found these
AuviPal USB C 90 Degree Adapters AuviPal USB C 90 Degree Adapters
and thought I would give them a try. They are made of aluminum and seem to be high quality. To go with these I got a
256GB Samsung USB-C Thumb Drive 256GB Samsung USB-C Thumb Drive
which is not low profile but with an aluminum outer shell making them durable and a solid quality feel to them. This turned out to be the best solution so far and I decided to get a second set with a 512GB thumb drive of the same type for the dash camera. Both are in the center console USB ports and are nice and out of the way.

This is what they look like in the center console using the horizontal 90° adapter. They sit nice and flush, do not flex, and most importantly are not in the way when accessing items in the center console.

You can use the vertical 90° adapters. I like the horizontal better since they give less opportunity for something to catch on the thumb drives when accessing items in the console.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a similar solution. They work for me and are the best solution I have found so far. If there ever is a reliable high capacity low profile USB-C thumb drive that looks like the below, I may switch. For now, the above works well.

The following 2 users liked this post by L1Wolf:
Chum_NIck (10-02-2024), Hicksra (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 09:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by L1Wolf
Ever since getting my 2025 E450 I've been searching for an ideal solution to using a USB thumb drive for music in the car that doesn't stick out far and won't break off from accidentally getting bumped all the time. In my W212, it had a regular USB-A port and finding a low profile such as the SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive was easy and it worked great. It stuck out at most 5mm which was just enough to get your fingers around it to pull it out. In fact, it was sometimes hard to get a good hold of. In the new W214 it has only USB-C ports making me have to look for another solution. I prefer to use a USB drive to play music in my car rather than any other method. In the W212, my options were Bluetooth from phone, CD, and USB. I have a decent CD collection that I've taken time to rip (backup) as MP3 so I can listen to my music on my phone, car, and motorcycle. With the fantastic Burmester 4D sound system, I've upped my game and decided to rip all of my CDs again as FLAC files which take up a much more space but with the larger thumb drives available today in 256GB, 512GB, and even 1TB, that is not an issue any longer. For my needs, 256GB is actually plenty for the size collection I have even with using FLAC format.

My first thought was to get a USB-C thumb drive that is low profile like the SanDisk Cruzer Fit. After much searching, I could not find any. There was one that looked promising (picture below) but the size maxed out at 64GB and the reviews are bad with some saying it failed early. I needed something at least 128GB and ideally 256GB for my USB music. In addition, I need another USB thumb drive for the dash-camera and wanted 512GB to allow for a longer record time before old footage got deleted. After failing to find any super low profile USB-C thumb drives that have those capacities, I turned to converting my tried and true SanDisk Cruzer Fit with a USB-C adapter. I settled on a 90° USB-C M to USB-A F adapter. This worked but because the adapter between A and C it was not as low profile as I would like. This made it still stick out a bit more than I hoped. Not satisified, I searched for another solution and found these AuviPal USB C 90 Degree Adapters and thought I would give them a try. They are made of aluminum and seem to be high quality. To go with these I got a 256GB Samsung USB-C Thumb Drive which is not low profile but with an aluminum outer shell making them durable and a solid quality feel to them. This turned out to be the best solution so far and I decided to get a second set with a 512GB thumb drive of the same type for the dash camera. Both are in the center console USB ports and are nice and out of the way.

This is what they look like in the center console using the horizontal 90° adapter. They sit nice and flush, do not flex, and most importantly are not in the way when accessing items in the center console.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...421276f7b3.png

You can use the vertical 90° adapters. I like the horizontal better since they give less opportunity for something to catch on the thumb drives when accessing items in the console.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...13f427a635.png

Hope this helps anyone looking for a similar solution. They work for me and are the best solution I have found so far. If there ever is a reliable high capacity low profile USB-C thumb drive that looks like the below, I may switch. For now, the above works well.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b8f29346b9.png
That is actually pretty clever.
Old 09-29-2024 | 05:34 AM

2025 E450 4Matic
thumb drives

I also use a thumb drive for music (128GB) and another thumb drive for my dashcam (512GB).
However I can not use voice to select music tracks when the camera is recording

any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2024 | 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On my W213 I use an SD to mSD adapter. It esssentially flush; nothing will snag on it. I have a couple of thousand music and video files on it including playlists. They can be selected from the menu. I've never tried voice. I also have SanDisk USB to mSD adapter that sticls out about ½".
Old 09-29-2024 | 02:19 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by tomd
I also use a thumb drive for music (128GB) and another thumb drive for my dashcam (512GB).
However I can not use voice to select music tracks when the camera is recording

any suggestions? Thanks!
I don't have any issues with selecting music with voice control when the dash camera is recording. I would need more info on what you are doing and what the car is doing in response to help you.

Last edited by L1Wolf; 09-29-2024 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tomd (10-01-2024)
Old 09-29-2024 | 02:23 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by ua549
On my W213 I use an SD to mSD adapter. It esssentially flush; nothing will snag on it. I have a couple of thousand music and video files on it including playlists. They can be selected from the menu. I've never tried voice. I also have SanDisk USB to mSD adapter that sticls out about ½".
If you have any SD slot like my W212 had, that's a good option. The W214 does not have one so you have to use one of the USB-C ports. That's why I posted this in the W214 board.
Old 10-01-2024 | 11:37 AM

2025 E450 Sedan: 2019 E450 Coupe
Wolf, great suggestion. i ordered the adapters and duplicated your setup. My W213 had the SD card slot, but like many other things Mercedes stop included it.
Old 10-01-2024 | 11:38 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by estark
Wolf, great suggestion. i ordered the adapters and duplicated your setup. My W213 had the SD card slot, but like many other things Mercedes stop included it.
Awesome! Let me know how it works out and what you think after trying them.
Old 10-02-2024 | 08:54 AM

2025 E450 Sedan: 2019 E450 Coupe
They work perfectly. I am in the process of putting all of my CD's on to my media server (Synology) at the highest quality format you mentioned. Then i can transfer the CD's to a USB drive. This is a timely process as you know. Prior to this I simple copied the music files from an iPod, but the quality is not great.
Old 10-02-2024 | 11:58 AM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by estark
They work perfectly. I am in the process of putting all of my CD's on to my media server (Synology) at the highest quality format you mentioned. Then i can transfer the CD's to a USB drive. This is a timely process as you know. Prior to this I simple copied the music files from an iPod, but the quality is not great.
It is a time consuming process, but worth it. I use Synology as well. Great device!
Old 10-02-2024 | 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Years ago I ripped about 1,000 of my favorite CDs to lossless FLAC using VLC to my Windows Server 2008. It took a whole weekend. I have my collection on a mSD in the car playing random selections. I never regretted it. It is easy to add new music by copying it to my music folder. Make sure to copy album art to the album folder along with the music. Mercedes will display the album art when the music is playing.