It's an EQB!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 01:42 PM
awz

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 C300, 2023 EQB 350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Dealer was happy also, I bet. A pristine E53 is a prize for the used side.
Agreed; this deal was a win-win-win (me, dealer, new E53 owner}. I'm not a "hate the dealer" guy. Everybody has to make money. I've been a client of the dealer since 2000 and have always been dealt with fairly.
The following users liked this post:
dvenneman (03-05-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:28 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
I will be leasing the EQB300 10K/36 whenever it comes in. I have always gotten substantial discounts from my dealer but he says the EQB's are only list. In the unlikely event this changes by the end of the summer when mine should arrive, he will of course take care of me. And, of course, final monthly payment will be contingent upon whatever programs are in place then. Right now, fleet discount is $1000, which i can get via either Mercedes Club or credit union.
Old 03-04-2023, 04:19 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
E350 4matic Wagon
I like to buy as a rule

Originally Posted by awz
Mine was a cash deal at MSRP. My traded 2021 E53 was pristine with only about 6500 miles, so I had the happy finance office experience of getting a check from the dealer at EQB delivery time.😀
When I’ve bought cars new, they seem to last longer and provide more overall enjoyment. Every new car I’ve owned had or has more than 175,000 miles on it. I currently have 5 cars in the family with 100k or more miles. I know cars are a depreciating proposition. I just don’t like the lease/buy experience and the less I do it the better
cadetdrivr (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 09:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Eqb
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Was gonna pay cash but ended up leasing for 36 months. (Didn't want to risk a negative IRS interpretation for the tax rebate based on the current IRS guidance.)

No big secrets as original deal was MSRP. Thus it became MSRP minus $8K cap reduction from combining both of the current MB EQ lease offers. We have excellent credit but the MBFS money factor was still abysmal, IMHO.

Back of the napkin suggests we'll still come out ahead assuming we'll want to buyout at lease end and that's even if we would've received the tax rebate.

YMMV
can you explain the discounts / tax benefits to leasing vs buying EQB?
dvenneman (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 10:14 PM

E350 4matic Wagon
See other threads

Originally Posted by Duder0008
can you explain the discounts / tax benefits to leasing vs buying EQB?
there is one main benefit in NJ - no sales tax

the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 sent the federal tax credit into chaos for all MB buyers.

I entered into a binding contract before 16 August so I will get a 6500 fed tax credit. Some comments suggest otherwise. My accountant was confident.

what MB appears to be doing is offering a capitalized cost reduction on a lease. I can’t speak for everyone but remember that the capitalized cost is what your rent is. There is tax on that amount. Then, if you don’t pay the entire capitalized cost, you pay a “money factor” which is essentially interest on the rent and taxes. It looks like MB is giving a 1,500 tax allowance which in NJ equates to be a capitalized rental cost of 21000 ish on a 36 month lease.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:59 AM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Right. Even with buying from NY dealer, they will do paperwork for NJ registration so no sales tax.

I have not gotten into the details yet of capital cost reduction from MB since we're looking 6 months hence for delivery, so depends upon what MB's program is at that point. I have sometimes paid the entire lease up front to save interest but our financial managers suggested that with lower markets we just make monthly payments to allow for potential growth of that prepaid amount.
dvenneman (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:19 AM

E350 4matic Wagon
Nothing is free right?

Originally Posted by nsoltz
Right. Even with buying from NY dealer, they will do paperwork for NJ registration so no sales tax.

I have not gotten into the details yet of capital cost reduction from MB since we're looking 6 months hence for delivery, so depends upon what MB's program is at that point. I have sometimes paid the entire lease up front to save interest but our financial managers suggested that with lower markets we just make monthly payments to allow for potential growth of that prepaid amount.
In the end, we can’t make committed money make money. If we don’t buy a car for cash, then we can’t save the monthly nut. If we buy the car for cash, we can’t earn money that we spent on the car.

And one day we’ll be dead and the kids get the car and whatever money is left and it won’t make two ****s whether we leased or bought our cars.lol. And yet here I am hand-wringing lol