Home Charging Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini
Home Charging Options

Scheduled to pick up my EQB 350 this weekend (yay!). Anyone have suggestions for home charging? Do you have to go with the recommended ChargePoint Flex or can you go with other chargers? Can I use a mobile charger vs wall-mounted? How much to expect for installation? Thanks!
Old 04-27-2023, 11:25 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by DKBassman
Scheduled to pick up my EQB 350 this weekend (yay!). Anyone have suggestions for home charging? Do you have to go with the recommended ChargePoint Flex or can you go with other chargers? Can I use a mobile charger vs wall-mounted? How much to expect for installation? Thanks!
You can use virtually any home charger for level 2 charging (hard wired or mobile) as virtually all new non-Telsa EVs and chargers use the same SAE J1772 plug. That said, you'll want a quality charger from a reputable manufacturer and the ChargePoint Flex is an excellent choice.

Cost of charger, and installation, can vary radically based on the complexity of the install so there is not a single answer. There are also local utility rebates, state tax rebates, and federal tax rebates for chargers to consider and these will also vary by location.

As an example, we went with a hardwired charger (ZefNet/Clipper Creek) offered by our local utility that is tied to their deeply discounted overnight electrical rates. Using a different charger (like the Flex) would have required the installation of a second electrical meter if we wanted access to the discount rates. As a result, we took advantage of rebates from both the utility and on our federal 2022 tax return. We also installed a 220V 14-50 outlet when the hardwired charger was installed since the additional cost was minimal.
The following users liked this post:
DKBassman (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
You can use virtually any home charger for level 2 charging (hard wired or mobile) as virtually all new non-Telsa EVs and chargers use the same SAE J1772 plug. That said, you'll want a quality charger from a reputable manufacturer and the ChargePoint Flex is an excellent choice.

Cost of charger, and installation, can vary radically based on the complexity of the install so there is not a single answer. There are also local utility rebates, state tax rebates, and federal tax rebates for chargers to consider and these will also vary by location.

As an example, we went with a hardwired charger (ZefNet/Clipper Creek) offered by our local utility that is tied to their deeply discounted overnight electrical rates. Using a different charger (like the Flex) would have required the installation of a second electrical meter if we wanted access to the discount rates. As a result, we took advantage of rebates from both the utility and on our federal 2022 tax return. We also installed a 220V 14-50 outlet when the hardwired charger was installed since the additional cost was minimal.
Thank you!
Old 05-23-2023, 01:36 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
EQB300
Originally Posted by DKBassman
Thank you!
I'm a little late to this party but I own a HomePoint Charge Flex and it has been going strong since September. No complaints and worth every penny, imo.