e-Drive Unit/ Power Electronics Control Unit Software Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 02:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
EQB 300
e-Drive Unit/ Power Electronics Control Unit Software Update

Just got intimated by my dealer that there is a software update from Mercedes Benz that is apparently supposed to improve the "robustness" of the drive unit, battery management system, and DC charging. Vehicle has to be brought in to the dealership for this update. Not user serviceable at all. All EQB models (250, 300, 350) seem to be affected/ getting the update.

Anyone got the update done? Does it bring any noticeable improvement to the driving range or acceleration?

I have not experienced any issues with my car so far (touch wood) and would hate to go to the dealership and waste half a day (maybe more?). IME with other cars, they always manage to break something that was previously working fine (lol).
The following users liked this post:
bluebonnet (01-31-2024)
Old 11-27-2023, 08:33 AM

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by EQBFan
Just got intimated by my dealer that there is a software update from Mercedes Benz that is apparently supposed to improve the "robustness" of the drive unit, battery management system, and DC charging. Vehicle has to be brought in to the dealership for this update. Not user serviceable at all. All EQB models (250, 300, 350) seem to be affected/ getting the update.

Anyone got the update done? Does it bring any noticeable improvement to the driving range or acceleration?

I have not experienced any issues with my car so far (touch wood) and would hate to go to the dealership and waste half a day (maybe more?). IME with other cars, they always manage to break something that was previously working fine (lol).
Interesting. Where are you located? (Just curious because it seems MB operates differently in different countries and not everything is released globally at once.)

Our EQB is already scheduled for its first scheduled free service (USA) in early December and since I’ll have a loaner I’ll ask them to check this while it’s there.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:47 AM

EQB 300
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Interesting. Where are you located? (Just curious because it seems MB operates differently in different countries and not everything is released globally at once.)
I believe it is worldwide. See here: eDrive Update Campaign
Our EQB is already scheduled for its first scheduled free service (USA) in early December and since I’ll have a loaner I’ll ask them to check this while it’s there.
Look forward to that. I might be bringing mine to the dealership in early December for the update. As of now, the dealer is still awaiting further information from MB and shall schedule the appointment when they know for sure what exactly needs to be done.

Last edited by EQBFan; 11-27-2023 at 08:54 AM.
cadetdrivr (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 10:45 AM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Thanks. Just made appointment on line with my dealer.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:01 AM

2023 EQB300
Dealer performed the update and service advisor said he had no idea what it really is supposed to do. But my car came up on the system requiring it, so just did it. Will report if I actually notice any difference.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:43 AM

EQB 300
Great. Hope it was a quick in and out. I bring in mine day after. Shall share my observations after I get to drive it a bit.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:26 PM

2023 EQB300
Only about a half hour to download update. I was there forever because they had to download map update which would not update over the air. And I had an error code with collision warning sensors that required recalibration. And then another trip back because apparently their carwash bent license plate and frame. Their fault for not doing a walk-around when returning vehicle and my fault for not doing my own walkaround. But they fixed it with apologies so can't ask for anything more than that.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 EQE SUV 4Matic
Posted in error. Apologies

Last edited by tusharj; 12-10-2023 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Error
Old 12-10-2023, 11:52 AM

EQB 300
Just got mine updated. Apparently, the software update is an hours job but dealer wanted to keep the car overnight to test sleep mode, charging. acceleration, etc. Did not notice any difference post update during my short drive home from the dealership. Shall see if there is any difference in driving feel or efficiency when I drive to work tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:47 AM

EQB 300
ok, just completed a longish drive. Absolutely no difference in the drive experience or efficiency. Was hoping they will improve something meaningful with this update. Not really sure what the update was all about.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:20 PM

2023 EQB300
I recall that the dealer bulletin said something to the effect of "robustness of DC charging", I'll see if DC charging is affected the next time I find an EA station either that works or isn't in use. Of course, also my scientific and statistical background also tells me that the state of the theoretically working and available EA charger is another unquantifiable factor.
Tennis Dad (12-17-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQB 350 2023
Just got 2 updates (according to the dealer) on my EQB 350 (2023) In India. The dealer also had no idea what these updates were for. Haven't noticed any difference in driving so far.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:37 PM

ok, just completed a longish drive. Absolutely no difference in the drive experience or efficiency. Was hoping they will improve something meaningful with this update. Not really sure what the update was all about.
I’ve had the update for a few weeks now and didn’t want to post until I had some time with the update to confirm my observations.

FWIW, our EQB is absolutely driving differently since it was in the shop and the difference is a noticeable improvement. However, I don’t know if this is the result of this specific update, or if there was other phantom work or calibration resets performed at the same time.

Basically, there is a significant difference when the car’s motors transition from power to re-gen, and then from re-gen to braking. Now the car is extremely smooth when you lift off the ‘gas’ and the car transitions to re-gen. The amount of re-gen is not changed, but the transition itself is now very smooth whereas previously it was usually smooth, but not always. Ditto for the blending of re-gen with physical brakes. Previously the car could be inconsistent in the behavior but now it’s all very consistently smooth, with consistent behavior.

These are minor, but welcome improvements. I’m gonna suspect this software package simply brings the earlier EQBs into alignment with the ‘refresh” 2024 model since the drivetrain hardware itself appears similar, if not identical.

We never DC charge so I can’t share any observations with DC charging.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 12-21-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:59 PM

EQB 300
Thank you for sharing your observations. My experience has been a little different.
Basically, there is a significant difference when the car’s motors transition from power to re-gen, and then from re-gen to braking. Now the car is extremely smooth when you lift off the ‘gas’ and the car transitions to re-gen. The amount of re-gen is not changed, but the transition itself is now very smooth whereas previously it was usually smooth, but not always.
I have not noticed any significant difference. What is your month/ year of manufacture? Mine is a Nov 22 car so I am guessing the car likely came with a better regen calibration or my dealer has not applied the update.

Ditto for the blending of re-gen with physical brakes. Previously the car could be inconsistent in the behavior but now it’s all very consistently smooth, with consistent behavior.
I am on a longish road trip so I am using the friction brakes for slowing down more often than I typically due in my regular driving (where I am mostly able to anticipate the traffic ahead). I can clearly say that when you need to slow down quickly due to stopped/ slow traffic ahead and you push them firmly, sometimes there is an abrupt slowdown when they grip and then as you release the brake pressure gradually, they let go and you can feel the car start to seemingly 'accelerate'/ 'freewheel'. So that is quite inconsistent and something that I have to be always careful about.

We never DC charge so I can’t share any observations with DC charging.
I have not had any issues pre/post charging so I also am also not able to comment.

These are minor, but welcome improvements.
Yes, I would have liked to see those in my car as well. I am guessing I did not get the 'full suite' of updates. Is there an easy way to figure out what patches have been applied, from within MBUX or the dashboard?

BTW, here is what my work order shows wrt to the update:
Job code: 02-9334-01
Description: Update power electronics control unit software at front axle (SG-LE-VA) (with XENTRY Diagnostics connected)
SAC code: 998714

It would be very helpful if you could list the jobs/ updates that were done when you sent yours for the update. I can compare with mine and take it up with the dealership.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:38 AM

It would be very helpful if you could list the jobs/ updates that were done when you sent yours for the update. I can compare with mine and take it up with the dealership.
Here's my work order and it was simply the first 'A Service' and the software campaign (August '22 build). I would think one would need to do a full evaluation with XENTRY to compare software versions of various components to determine if there were other changes.

I'm also wondering if there was some sort of a calibration performed after the update on my car which could account for a difference but is not delineated on the receipt?

Tennis Dad (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 09:03 PM

EQB 300
Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty similar to mine.

After you pointed out that the friction brakes now feel smoother, I started paying attention to how the car has been braking. I feelI am able to bring the car to a complete stop more smoothly now. Previously, there was always a jerk in how the car would stop because the motor would maintain power until the last minute before cutting off. Now the motors seem to modulate the power levels a little better and the car does not give as big a jerk when coming to a stop. I was attributing this to my driving skills/ familiarity with the car so far (lol), but you are right, it could be due to the eDrive software update. Shall monitor it for a few days before confirming. Not so sure about the high speed braking - have another long highway drive coming tomorrow. Shall post observations post that.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:11 PM

Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty similar to mine.

After you pointed out that the friction brakes now feel smoother, I started paying attention to how the car has been braking. I feelI am able to bring the car to a complete stop more smoothly now. Previously, there was always a jerk in how the car would stop because the motor would maintain power until the last minute before cutting off. Now the motors seem to modulate the power levels a little better and the car does not give as big a jerk when coming to a stop. I was attributing this to my driving skills/ familiarity with the car so far (lol), but you are right, it could be due to the eDrive software update. Shall monitor it for a few days before confirming. Not so sure about the high speed braking - have another long highway drive coming tomorrow. Shall post observations post that.
Monitor for a few days and while you are doing so, pay attention to the regen power displays on the main screen (if you have them on). In normal driving, the friction brakes are only introduced at low speeds to complete the stop. Meanwhile, even at higher speeds the application of the brake pedal is really commanding an increased level of motor re-gen and the friction brakes really only come into play during aggressive breaking when the limit of re-gen is reached. This is a different design concept than Tesla, for example, where the brake pedal only commands friction brakes but most of the driving is done “one pedal” with the ‘gas’ pedal commanding power and re-gen.

But to reiterate, I’m perceiving a smoother transition at higher speeds between the traction motors creating power and the switch to re-gen, and again at very low speeds when the friction brakes are blended in. It’s all just smoother and I have not been able to get any jerks or inconsistent behavior which is something that would happen occasionally before.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:12 AM

EQB 300
Monitor for a few days and while you are doing so, pay attention to the regen power displays on the main screen (if you have them on).
Will do, as I always have them on.

Meanwhile, even at higher speeds the application of the brake pedal is really commanding an increased level of motor re-gen and the friction brakes really only come into play during aggressive breaking when the limit of re-gen is reached.
Yes, I feel that more often than not, now the regen goes to 100% before the friction brakes kick in.

Meanwhile, even at higher speeds the application of the brake pedal is really commanding an increased level of motor re-gen and the friction brakes really only come into play during aggressive breaking when the limit of re-gen is reached.
So that is an area where I feel they need to improve things a bit more because the friction brakes do feel a bit grabby when they are engaged leading to a sudden deceleration and then when they let go, the car seems to feel as if it suddenly picked up speed. Anyway, I shall keep monitoring and share my observations.