EQC electric SUV New All electric SUV for 2020

EQC 400 - early ownership observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 PM

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
EQC400

Still going strong. No creaks, leaks or fails after 10,000km. I am starting to see front tyre wear exceeding the rear which I believe is the well-documented MB camber issue. I will need to rotate the tyres soon to equalise the wear. I am now regularly getting 420km range using the AC a little less and more city driving versus freeway driving so the regeneration is more active.......
The following 2 users liked this post by Natroth:
hyperion667 (10-25-2020), mickhoog (10-05-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
14 GL 350, 23Chevy Bolt EV and 22 EUV
For the USA, I have inquired with my local dealership about any availability in the upcoming months. He stated he has heard nothing, and it doesn't look good until late 2021 or 2022 !
For whatever reason, MB is delaying the arrival.
For my part, its time to trade in my 14 GL 350 and go Electric-Either the VW ID.4 or Volvo Recharge.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
Originally Posted by captivabenz
For the USA, I have inquired with my local dealership about any availability in the upcoming months. He stated he has heard nothing, and it doesn't look good until late 2021 or 2022 !
For my part, its time to trade in my 14 GL 350 and go Electric-Either the VW ID.4 or Volvo Recharge.
check out the Audi ETron.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:56 AM

Yes, I did, range is too low and severely overpriced.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Hi the Brit living in France here just caught up with the thread which is very useful thank you for posting. Have driven an eclasse diesel plug in hybrid estate and was impressed and the additional weight had a clear effect on road noise surprisingly. As yet no EQC available to test but it is available to order. I am undecided as to whether to buy my current car and delay the change for another year or two to let the technology settle and for the charging network improve. With covid and Brexit too it is all too up in the air to really feel sure about any decisions. Still keep the reports coming they are helpful.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 791 Likes on 626 Posts
AFAIK the ID.4 is sold out in the US for 2021. The Volvo XC40 Recharge is a bit short on range at a very optimistic 208 miles.
The following users liked this post:
captivabenz (10-03-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:49 PM

EQC400
At this rate, Americans will be buying the 2nd generation MB EQC 400! That might be a good thing as MB will surely increase the range to match what they are touting for the EQS; 600km (380 miles)
Old 10-02-2020, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
There's a 2020 GLCe. I can't remember off the top of my head if that's a hybrid or an electric. The last I heard about the EQC was that there was a big demand in Europe so that's delayed it in the U.S. As Natroth noted, it might be smart to wait for an EQC midcycle refresh or a 2nd generation EQC.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by Natroth
I live in Parramatta, New South Wales in Australia. I foolishly signed up to an online waiting list to have a test drive of the EQC400 whenever it appeared in Australia (I thought years away). I was holidaying interstate over Christmas and received a phone call from MB excitedly advising me that 25 rare "Edition 1" EQC400's were shipping to all of Australia and I was chosen to buy one if I wished. I was given 5 days to make a decision. The EQC is fully loaded with accessories and unique napa leather interior so after a few animated discussions with the wife, I bought it for less than the price of a standard model. A true bargain I told myself hahaha. So far only a couple have arrived and apparently I got the first one.

The rationality of my buying decision was slightly boosted by the car winning the Australian Car of the Year over Tesla 3 and Jaguar IPace, and other ICE cars such as the Range Rover Evoque and BMW X5. Seven independent judges said, "for a visually unremarkable car, the EQC400 has crushing completeness, supreme suppleness and ripping refinement over its competitors"........ I repeated this to the wife (and myself) several times

The rear seating space is equal to the GLC but scalloping of the front seatbacks allows for more knee room. I only ever intended the rear to be for two so the tailshaft hump drama (OMG, no flat floor) is a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Anyways, I snapped a few quick unflattering pics yesterday of my VERY RARE car

21" AMG low profile wheels

Napa leather, semi-autonomous driving, augmented reality navigation, heated/ventilated seats, 3 zone A/C

lots of legroom

lots of room with a spare tyre underfloor rather than glue

Well, some people think its better than Tesla ))
Congrats, beautiful suv. I would have probably done the same thing it I were you.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:27 AM

I secured the available purchase of the First Edition of the ID.4, but await further details before going forward. Meanwhile my GL 350 continues to provide excellent transportation.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:19 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
@Natroth I really love your EQC and I would love it if they did offer that interior option still here in Oz, such a shame. 420km range is good, so thanks for reporting that.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:40 AM

EQC400
Thanks, Mick,
I am regularly getting above 400km using one-pedal driving. I consider this quite a feat as others around the world are reporting less than 400 on a full charge. I understand that temperature and local topography make a difference. All is not golden though! I am frustrated by the fact that I cannot add or "highlight" charging stations in the super-intelligent MBUX in the car, and there are more Nissan charging points than Mercedes in the current car database. These also do not differentiate in the database so you need an external app to choose the right connector to recharge. Effectively, I don't use the MB GPS for anything to do with EV stuff. This is clearly an area where Tesla wins with Google mapping and associated EV charge point navigation and updating. As the car gets older this will matter more and more.

Also, MB Australia will not answer my emails on why the D-AUTO function was disabled in the car as it was hailed as the hero function of the car - "have the car tell you when and where to recharge based on your current drive style and destination".

Other than the above, the car does not squeak or rattle and is as quiet inside as an S-Class sedan, except on outback Australian roads with tar and rough blue-metal surface; then the 21" tyre noise picks up a bit )
mickhoog (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 02:11 AM

Thanks, Mick,
I am regularly getting above 400km using one-pedal driving. I consider this quite a feat as others around the world are reporting less than 400 on a full charge. I understand that temperature and local topography make a difference. All is not golden though! I am frustrated by the fact that I cannot add or "highlight" charging stations in the super-intelligent MBUX in the car, and there are more Nissan charging points than Mercedes in the current car database. These also do not differentiate in the database so you need an external app to choose the right connector to recharge. Effectively, I don't use the MB GPS for anything to do with EV stuff. This is clearly an area where Tesla wins with Google mapping and associated EV charge point navigation and updating. As the car gets older this will matter more and more.

Also, MB Australia will not answer my emails on why the D-AUTO function was disabled in the car as it was hailed as the hero function of the car - "have the car tell you when and where to recharge based on your current drive style and destination".

Other than the above, the car does not squeak or rattle and is as quiet inside as an S-Class sedan, except on outback Australian roads with tar and rough blue-metal surface; then the 21" tyre noise picks up a bit )
That is quite a feat and nice to set yourself little challenges to beat it. I travel between Melb and Mallacoota and although i went to the launch in Vic and spoke to the ChargeFox guys, there aren't many convenient charging locations between the two locations. I'm used to the W213 E class diesel and not stopping or stopping for 5-10 mins for a toilet break. One thing that I have come to the realisation is that , i don't need to fully charge for however long that takes , just a top up should do, but on my route, the location is out of the way.

Thanks for your honesty that you can't highlight charging locations as I thought that is what you could do, and at the launch they said to me that you can have the car tell you when and where to recharge based on your destination", I would have to do a bit more research i think.

I'm glad to read that there is no squeaks or rattles. I've had rattles in a c coupe, in my e class (now fixed), and in an ML. In my SLK that was rock solid, no issues ever.

The wheels on your model are unique to the EQC and really set it off in a good way.

One question i do have, is do you find the black centre console marks / scratches easy? I had that on my E class, however i sourced a part of the open pore wood and changed it. I found that it just marked when you lightly touched it, and thought i wonder by the time they pressed the part for the EQC if that was a bit more robust than what I had.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:40 AM

EQC400
OMG! the piano black centre console, and the unique little grey shelf above it (under the twin screens)
Both are smudged/dusty every time I get in the car. I keep a white cloth in the door to discreetly wipe the console/shelf before anyone gets in. It is the visual centre of the car and if it is dusty then the whole car presents that way. I got advice to get it wrapped but would prefer the open-pore wood..... As the console is a new piece for the EQC I cannot swap it out with another models' console. Looks pretty but NOT good design. That said it is still better looking than the Audi E-Tron console.

I fully appreciate that I am an early adopter in the world of EV's so am not openly complaining, just observing ........ but, I think the facelift or next-gen EQC will be truly amazing/competitive in the EV lineup. I have not been tempted yet by Tesla-lust even after substantial research on the Tesla Y, even though I am on the "Y" waiting list in Australia hahahaha!

Last edited by Natroth; 10-09-2020 at 07:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Natroth:
hyperion667 (10-25-2020), mickhoog (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:10 AM

Thanks for your comments on the centre console. What i found out with mine is that it scratched like nobody’s business and that’s why i wanted to change it.

When i look at yours i wonder if the new e class piece would fit as it no longer has the clock (in the facelift). It probably wouldn’t but just looking at the size, I would think that MB wouldn’t make this one part for the EQC alone. Just a thought.

I test both the Tesla Model 3 and the EQC and i preferred the EQC.
ill41 (09-25-2021)
Old 10-17-2020, 12:22 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE

No EQC for US market. Seems like MBUSA is going with EQS, EQE, and EQS SUV for 2021-2022. We may see EQC in 3 years.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:32 AM

EQC400
I think the silver lining in this dark cloud is that the USA will leapfrog over the hybrid EQC400 and straight into the full EV chassis of the EQS SUV. I don't think you will be disappointed when it arrives. Mercedes has to compete with, AND, be better than Tesla or die trying. That said, my one-pedal driving is paying off and I have achieved my highest average range of 431km. I think that is my upper limit. There are a few ICE owners out there that need to be taught a lesson, so my average range may drop a little ))

By the time the EQS SUV hits the USA, you will probably be offered more efficient batteries with a much longer range and have a new President going into re-election (just sayin!)

Last edited by Natroth; 10-25-2020 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
I hope you're right, Natroth. I've actually seen an outer shell of an EQC, and I would estimate that it's about the size of a GLA.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:38 PM

EQC400
Originally Posted by 190Efan
I hope you're right, Natroth. I've actually seen an outer shell of an EQC, and I would estimate that it's about the size of a GLA.
The EQC 400 is bigger than the GLA at:
14" longer at 187"
2" wider at 74"
same height at 64"

but smaller than the GLE which is:
7" longer at 194".
3" wider at 77" and
7" taller at 71"
Old 10-31-2020, 08:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 S550, 2017 C63S, 2019 Raptor
Looks lovely and if it comes to the US I would buy one when my MS lease expires. Although my wife loves and misses her s class so perhaps an EQS. However my only niggling with this car is the tunnel for the non existent prop shaft. One of the benefits of the electric vehicle is middle seat comfort from the lack of drivetrain hump.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 S550, 2017 C63S, 2019 Raptor
Yes, I did, range is too low and severely overpriced.
its starting price is 4,000 less than the projected selling price of the EQC in the US and has 2 miles more range (222) vs the EQC.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by zer0t
its starting price is 4,000 less than the projected selling price of the EQC in the US and has 2 miles more range (222) vs the EQC.
I have had the Audi ETron Edition One for 18 months. As an early adopter, I did have to deal with two defects. The charge port required a grommet for better water proofing and the rear light bar had to be replaced. Since then, the car has been problem free and a pure joy to drive. I am always looking for an excuse to drive. Powerful, quiet, very comfortable anc handles extremely well with a lower center of gravity. The Audi interior is pure luxury and functional. My other car is a 2020 GLE 450, so I feel I have the best German engineering in my garage! The 450 has the MB 48v system which is quite remarkable engine. Audis are a bit pricey and there money factors are terrible, but it’s the price to pay for the brand. I would get another ETron when the time comes.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:30 PM

EQC400
Originally Posted by jcapotos
I have had the Audi ETron Edition One for 18 months. As an early adopter, I did have to deal with two defects. The charge port required a grommet for better water proofing and the rear light bar had to be replaced. Since then, the car has been problem free and a pure joy to drive. I am always looking for an excuse to drive. Powerful, quiet, very comfortable anc handles extremely well with a lower center of gravity. The Audi interior is pure luxury and functional. My other car is a 2020 GLE 450, so I feel I have the best German engineering in my garage! The 450 has the MB 48v system which is quite remarkable engine. Audis are a bit pricey and there money factors are terrible, but it’s the price to pay for the brand. I would get another ETron when the time comes.
Audi makes great cars. I think historical reputations will be reset in the EV world. Tesla seems to be rewriting customer expectations away from quality and toward tech gadgetry.

My EQC400 is consistently getting 250+ miles (400+km), with the AC always on and a few green light launches. Having had your E-Tron for 18 months, What is your real-world average range?

Last edited by Natroth; 11-01-2020 at 11:33 PM.
jcapotos (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 AM

Audi makes great cars. I think historical reputations will be reset in the EV world. Tesla seems to be rewriting customer expectations away from quality and toward tech gadgetry.

My EQC400 is consistently getting 250+ miles (400+km), with the AC always on and a few green light launches. Having had your E-Tron for 18 months, What is your real-world average range?
agree with your points. It would be great if Tesla licensed their tech to the legacy automakers. Mu Audi delivers 210 miles consistently which weights in about 400 lbs heavier than EQC. Amazing how the EQC gets much better range with only an 80 kWh vs 95 kWh in the Audi.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:53 PM

EQC400
All things come to those who wait (Americans)

I am jealous! Apparently, I now own a "pioneer" EQC400 !!!!!! after only 6 months. Is "Pioneer" better than "Edition 1" when it's time to sell?

You wait a year and better things come.... the question is; Can I upgrade my 2020 EQC400 or is it disposable? ............Mercedes-Benz upgrades EQC electric SUV’s onboard charger to 11 kW

Mercedes-Benz announced that it is upgrading the EQC 400 4MATIC, the German automaker’s electric SUV, with a new onboard charger now capable of charging at up to 11 kW.

It is the first of several new all-electric vehicles from the famous German brand, including the EQA and EQS coming next year.

While US buyers couldn’t get their hands on the EQC, now they will be able to have a better version of the vehicle when it goes on sale next year.

Mercedes-Benz announced today that it is upgrading the onboard charger with a new 11 kW capacity:
“With the EQC 400 4MATIC, Mercedes-Benz put the first vehicle of the Mercedes-Benz EQ brand on the road, as the pioneer and milestone of the Ambition 2039 strategy. With a more powerful on-board charger with 11 kW, the EQC is now receiving a technological upgrade and can thus be charged at home much more quickly at the Wallbox and at public charging stations with alternating current.”
Previously, the vehicle was equipped with a 7.4 kW onboard charger.

Bugger! or Goddam!

Last edited by Natroth; 11-21-2020 at 11:59 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQC 400 - early ownership observations