EQC electric SUV New All electric SUV for 2020

reflection and glare from EQC windshield windscreen on sunny days

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eqc
reflection and glare from EQC windshield windscreen on sunny days

I wrote this in response to a post on another EQ forum. I think it deserves a wider hearing.

https://www.mbeqclub.com/threads/eqc...en-glare.1739/

There is a really distracting and annoying reflection from the dashboard of the EQC. I test drove the car in the winter, no sun. Now in June it is really very distracting. And I think that it is so severe that it is dangerous.

The effect can be reduced by adjusting the seating height. Improves, but still terrible and for me not a comfortable solution.

The effect is called veiling glare. I first noticed this effect back in the early 00's with a Volvo V70 that had a raked windscreen and a light coloured dash board.

You can find some info here.
https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/ge...FULLTEXT01.pdfFord took a big interest in the late 1990s.
Fundamental Issues in Automotive Veiling Glare
The veiling glare effect in automotive vehicles consists of diffuse and specular scattering of sunlight onto and from the windshield. This effect occurs over a wide range of solar elevation angles and increases with increased degree of inclination of the windshield. Thus its effect on visual acuity
www.sae.orgAnd they developed a veiling glare index along with some patents on ways to reduce the effect.
US8467129B2 - Veiling glare reduction system and method of controlling reflection from a vehicle windshield - Google Patents
A vehicle glare reduction system is provided, which improves the visual acuity of the vehicle operator in vehicles having a light-colored dashboard. The system includes a dashboard having an upper surface from which dashboard light is reflected; a windshield having an inner and outer surface...
patents.google.com

The problem with the EQC as far as I can see is a shiny grey dash. With a perforated surface that accentuates the effect. The windshield installation angle and the driver position must be having an effect also.

Solutions to me seem to be.

Fit a windshield with an antirefective coating with the optics tuned to the angular set up of WS vs dash. Quite possible. It will significantly reduce but not totally eliminate the effect.

Cover the offending dash board with a matt black cloth. An old T shirt or a bit of black carpet. Not a very attractive addition to an expensive car.

Spray paint the dash with a matt black paint. I think a BBQ paint would good, but no idea if will stick to the dash.

Complain to Mercedes and get them to make a matt black dashboard with no silly holes or go and research the Ford idea of fitting polarising filters to the dash

I'm "happy" that other otherwise delighted EQC owners have the same issue.

Hope this is of some use and I hope someone from Mercedes reads these forums. You made a mistake that is spoiling an otherwise super car

Mikey
Old 06-29-2021, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
The dashboard reflecting in the windshield is pretty normal in pretty much any car. Not cleaning the inside of the windshield regularly will make it worse as there is a film building on it from the gassing out of the plastics in the car. There isn't really much you can do about it. A light colored dashboard will reflect more than a dark one. If there are speakers on the dash they'll reflect, but most of the time they anodize them black, so you get less reflection. A HUD essentially takes advantage of this as the HUD image is reflection of the windshield. The easy solution is to wear polarized sunglasses. Most of that reflection is horizontal, so the polarized sunglasses will filter it out. Unfortunately, it will also filter out most of the HUD if you have one. Living in California by the ocean I wear polarized sunglasses all the time. Not just because of the windshield reflections, but also the reflection off the ocean and I deliberately skip the HUD. I don't like having stuff float in my line of vision anyway.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-29-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
If you wear polarized glasses you are unable to view your HUD. I had to purchase non-polarized glasses for this very reason. Keep them permanently in the sunglass compartment of my 2018 560S.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by fun33
If you wear polarized glasses you are unable to view your HUD. I had to purchase non-polarized glasses for this very reason. Keep them permanently in the sunglass compartment of my 2018 560S.
That's what I said and is one reason why I skip the HUD in my cars. The HUD doesn't add much if anything in the age of digital instrument clusters, IMHO. I get more relevant information and better customization from the digital instrument cluster in my AMG, and I don't need my current speed floating in front of me constantly. I can get rid of the useless speedometer and have room for other information. Speed and current gear are displayed in large fonts right front and center. Only takes a quick glance.