EQE SUV (X294) Forum for Discussion of EQE SUV

EQE SUV - Door protection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 03:28 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
EQE SUV - Door protection?

I have an EQE SUV and find that the driver and front passenger doors are of great concern when opening them in tight parking spaces.
There is a bend in the door metal that creates a "point" that is just asking to be damaged or to do damage.
After looking around in some auto parts centers and finding no door-protection solution available that would bend sufficiently over "the point" I decided to experiment with an alternative solution.
I bought some clear vinyl hose (think aquarium hose...but a bit larger) and cut off about a 1" piece and slit it lengthwise. It fits over "the point" just perfectly. And it seems like it will do the job until I find something better.
I suspect it will not stay in place if (and when?) I go through an automatic car wash. But if I don't find anything better, I will fix it in place a little more securely with something mild, like rubber cement (?)

Is there anyone out there with a better solution? I would love one!

Old 11-11-2023, 04:01 PM

Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
A creative solution, there are strips like that which cover the entire length of the door edge. My dad used to purchase these. However, I personally don't use them because they very quickly accumulate grit and dirt that will eventually damage the paint as the the piece of tubing moves back and forth. But yes, you're absolutely right it's hard not to damage the door or other things with it!
Old 11-11-2023, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Go and get a thin strip of 10 mil PPF installed on the trailing edge of the door. It will offer protection and be so much better hidden than your solution.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:13 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I can only agree with you that ppf will look significantly better than my "interim" solution.
But, I doubt ppf has any ability to absorb a concentrated shock...and my ugly little bit of vinyl hose does.
Perhaps this is a case for someone with a 3D printer to start a "micro business" for custom-fitted little bits like this!