EQE SUV (X294) Forum for Discussion of EQE SUV

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 11:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 EQE SUV 4Matic
Windshield Replacement

Hi All - My 2023 EQE SUV windshield needs to be replaced - it has a crack a rock chip that was in the corner and not visible to me expanded in the heat. Any idea how much Mercedes charges for a windshield replacement? Safelite doesn’t seem to recognize my VIN and doesn’t even list the EQE SUV (only lists the sedan). Not looking forward to this expense.
Thanks for any info/suggestions.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:42 PM

Received 218 Likes on 152 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Had it done twice on my sedan. The state of Kentucky gets you one free windshield replacement for significant damage, including ADAS recal, every two years, so insurance has to cover it with zero deductible. After my first replacement, I noticed a fair bit of warping right in my sightline, even though it was OE glass. After dealing with insurance for a month, and a glass shop that refused to recognize the issue, I had it replaced as a warranty replacement under insurance again. This time, it looks way better. I did manage to see a quote, and it was about $1950 including recalibration.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:43 PM

2023 EQE SUV 4Matic
Thanks for information. Very helpful.
Old 06-28-2024, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 389 Likes on 265 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
My 2024 Jaaag SVR wasn't in Safelite's system either but if you're using OEM-branded glass they source from a local dealer so doesn't really matter. They just won't be able to do the camera calibration stuff. Haven't had any issues with mine anyways and they did the whole thing in my driveway while I attended to other matters. Total time spent at dealer was under two hours.
The following users liked this post:
tusharj (07-02-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2022 GLE450
Had my EQE SUV windshield replaced by Safelite in FL (under insurance comprehensive with $0 deductible). It wasn't on their site, but I requested OEM glass and they got it in about a week. Surprisingly, they were also able to have someone from another company remote in and calibrate it, so I didn't have any additional dealer charges. Good luck!
tusharj (07-02-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
For starters file a claim with the insurance. Windshield replacement falls under comprehensive and as said above, depending on your state you may not even have to pay a deductible. I only have a $100 deductible on my comprehensive. I've replaced many windshields over the years. It's the reason why I lowered my deductible. Doesn't change the premium much as comprehensive claims are no fault claims. They are "acts of god" essentially, or things you don't have control over such as vandalism, theft etc.

I just had my windshield replaced on my '19 C63S Coupe a couple of weeks ago. Second one on this car. Prices have gone up quite a bit. I got both done at the dealership. They have their own factory trained glass technicians. First replacement with factory glass was about $1300 and fully covered by my insurance minus the $100 deductible. This time around it was almost $1700. Insurance didn't up their coverage, though. Geico in my case only covers $40/hour for labor, so dealership labor rates are not fully covered. Ended up paying about $500 out of pocket including the $100 deductible, so about $400 on top of my deductible. Could have taken it to a glass shop. The factory glass and parts was just shy of $1000 and the rest was for labor and calibration. So I could have saved there by going to Safelite for example. They do calibration themselves, but I wanted it done right the first time, so I was willing to pay a little bit more.

As for factory glass vs aftermarket glass, generally I haven't had an issue with factory glass. With the cameras and/or HUD, insurance companies pretty much cover factory glass, because MB etc. are not guaranteeing that ADAS and/or HUD works properly with aftermarket glass, so to avoid for the insurance to potentially having to pay twice, they don't object to factory glass.

In my case both times the windshield wasn't actually cracked, instead it had a rock chip in my line of sight. Both times got it repaired first (fully covered by the insurance), but the repair caused optical distortions and the internal cracks reflected the sun directly into my eyes if it was at just the right angle. So insurance paid for the repair first and then agreed to replace the windshield. This is how I get at least some of my money back that I pay them year after year in premiums .

Last edited by superswiss; 06-28-2024 at 01:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
tusharj (07-02-2024), wildta (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 389 Likes on 265 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Pilkington probably makes both the OEM and Safelite branded glass but someone on one of the other board had a dealer refuse to do the calibration because the windshield was missing the proper logo. Ridiculous if you ask me but they had to have it changed TWICE.

People really should have the right to repair their own cars.
tusharj (07-02-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 11:29 PM

2023 EQE SUV 4Matic
Thank you all for taking the time to respond and for the advice. I need to take my car in for service soon so will likely get it done then and use my insurance. Appreciate the insight.