EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Drive Pilot - Level 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 01:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 S Class
Drive Pilot - Level 3

Seems MB is adding Drive Pilot as an option for S-Class and EQS for cars ordered after May 17th. Not sure whether its only for Germany or US too.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...ed-188196.html

Mercedes Me Media Site Video Demo

Drive Pilot Sensors - English

Hope they add it to EQS SUV initial builds. Also, same with Automatic/Comfort doors. In EQS sedan order guide there is a note Automatic/Comfort doors will be added for MY2023.

Last edited by Fromsf; 05-07-2022 at 09:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fromsf:
dblankenbaker (05-14-2022), JoeMa (05-07-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 08:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
EQS
this is almost a deal breaker for me if the EQS SUV doesn't at least come with the hardware loaded so that when US certification is achieved we could get the OTA Update
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...-year-ceo-says

"The system will be offered only in new cars, and cannot be retrofitted, a Mercedes spokesman said Friday, because it requires installation of additional hardware"

I don't think it makes much sense to drop close to $130k on a "futuristic" SUV that can nearly hardware/autonomous driving obsolete in 1 production year
The following users liked this post:
ivanvach (08-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
So, the above video is a very favorable edit of mostly showing the moments when it worked. The reality is a little different. I've seen it in action in an unedited video and the limitations sort of outweigh its usefulness. It's very limited to where the Drive Pilot can be engaged. He only eluded to it at the end there with the tunnels coming up. There are many more limitations where the system doesn't even offer to be activated. For example you always need a lead car. It cannot be activated if there's too much of a gap between your car and the immediate car ahead. If your lead car exits the highway for example you are forced to take over. You can't really do something else like one might get the impression from this video. You always have to be prepared to take over. As shown in the video it also only works in stop&go traffic, so I suppose it's interesting for somebody who spends a lot of time in stop&go traffic, but it only works on approved sections of road. If there's construction, or the road is wet, or it's raining or other things on a particular road it won't work. It might do better on US highways. We don't have lots of tunnels here and roads are wider and more open, but so far as said this is only approved in Germany and will only be sold there for now. Who knows if and when California and Nevada approve it, and nothing about any other states yet. They will likely not start offering it here until they have the approval. Personally, at this stage after seeing an unedited demonstration I don't see the value for the money. I don't drive a lot in stop&go traffic anyway and the current level 2 system with active steering works plenty well in my C63. Not sure what's going on with the EQS, but with my C63 I don't have to put my hands on the steering wheel for 30 seconds, and then I can just quickly tap one of the touchpads and it's good for another 30 seconds. In really slow stop&go traffic it doesn't prompt me for minutes at the time. It almost looks like they made the standard system less good in the EQS, or maybe it's more restrictive in Germany?

For those who are interested, but the video is in German. I kinda felt sorry for the Mercedes guy trying to decide what he should say whenever it couldn't be engaged or required the driver to take control again. For the money they want, I found this embarrassing.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-17-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Unlike Tesla, MB is taking their time to do conditional automated driving in a safe way and is seeking regulatory approval from at least two states. Tesla treats public roads as their own beta test site. And enough of those obnoxious owners posting 'Game Over' videos. MB Drive Pilot has multiple redundancies that should prove to be safer than any camera-only Tesla (what a joke and dangerous on there part).

Old 05-18-2022, 11:50 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Unlike Tesla, MB is taking their time to do conditional automated driving in a safe way and is seeking regulatory approval from at least two states. Tesla treats public roads as their own beta test site. And enough of those obnoxious owners posting 'Game Over' videos. MB Drive Pilot has multiple redundancies that should prove to be safer than any camera-only Tesla (what a joke and dangerous on there part).

MB is basically assuming all liability if it fails. Pretty damn cool, strong statement of how well it works. Also begs the question: Will they enter insurance business? If going to be underwriting losses, might as well be collecting all those premiums to offset claims

Last edited by bonboon; 05-18-2022 at 12:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bonboon:
Fromsf (05-18-2022), JoeMa (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
BTW, as much as Tesla owners who opted for FSD (currently a $12,000 option) like to go on about how great FSD is, all Tesla's are level 2 systems like many other manufacturers cars. And they will never be as safe with only cameras doing the work. No redundancy. I have a good friend who purchased a Model 3 with a Model Y on order and he says the system is useless in heavier rain. He doesn't trust it at all.

Last edited by JoeMa; 05-18-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
EQS 450 4 matic sedan, Mercedes 550S
Originally Posted by thebigkat82
this is almost a deal breaker for me if the EQS SUV doesn't at least come with the hardware loaded so that when US certification is achieved we could get the OTA Update
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...-year-ceo-says

"The system will be offered only in new cars, and cannot be retrofitted, a Mercedes spokesman said Friday, because it requires installation of additional hardware"

I don't think it makes much sense to drop close to $130k on a "futuristic" SUV that can nearly hardware/autonomous driving obsolete in 1 production year
EXACTLY !!! That's why MB should allow us to buy the hardware even if it is disabled temporarily until they get approval in the USA. I stay on the sidelines for this very reason. As far as how efficient it is we should all understand and agree that it is a long process of baby steps, I don't mind if the extra sensors improve MB Level 2 drive assistant. I'm O.K. holding the steering wheel just in case, but to be honest it helps a lot when done right.