EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Third Row negates hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 Acura NSX
Third Row negates hitch

I just received a response from Mercedes USA that getting the EQS 580 SUV with a third row negates the hitch. They did not say why. My concern is I must have a way to carry my mountain bikes. The rear hitch makes the most sense. I was trying to find out if the rear bumper is different with a Third Row. I also wanted to see if the frame was slightly different. Can not find a source. I may ask my local MB Dealership to check this out. As was mentioned the overall weight of the car with passengers and the third row may impact the ability of the car to tow the advertised weight. If that is the only thing preventing the ordering of a hitch, then I could order and have it installed?

I also verified that this car 2023 is 4g and not 5g with respect to Cellular capability.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by drmanny3
I just received a response from Mercedes USA that getting the EQS 580 SUV with a third row negates the hitch. They did not say why. My concern is I must have a way to carry my mountain bikes. The rear hitch makes the most sense. I was trying to find out if the rear bumper is different with a Third Row. I also wanted to see if the frame was slightly different. Can not find a source. I may ask my local MB Dealership to check this out. As was mentioned the overall weight of the car with passengers and the third row may impact the ability of the car to tow the advertised weight. If that is the only thing preventing the ordering of a hitch, then I could order and have it installed?

I also verified that this car 2023 is 4g and not 5g with respect to Cellular capability.
Rear axle would be overstressed towing the max weight with people in the 3rd row. Lawsuit waiting to happen, hence MBUSA covering their legal rear ends.
I doubt you would find a Mercedes dealer willing to install the hitch for the same reason. Maybe a 3rd party when aftermarket hitches are available?
How about a carrier on the rear hatch?
Old 10-29-2022, 02:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS
I faced the same dilemma… in the end:

- went with a 3 row, no hitch
- waiting to take delivery of a few seasucker mounts so I can get me and my bike back to the trails asap!
- I’m betting a solution presents itself. I reached out to eco-hitch and informed them of the car and the opportunity. They confirmed that was sufficient to get it on their list , but couldn’t comment further.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:03 PM

2017 Acura NSX
We test drove the EQS 580 SUV that had my name on it. The car had everything and stickered for $142,200. I found the car extremely comfortable and a real looker. The five zone air conditioning blows pretty well in the back area. We verified our dog would fit with the third row folded and would be comfortable. The car tends to lean into the turns which is part of the comfort aspect. I could live with it. The big issue remains the hitch. The Dealership said they would not alter the car by purchasing the OEM hitch and installing it. If I leased the car, (rates are terrible) I might not be able to do the hitch myself. I suppose as long as I am careful and don't damage anything, I could get away with it. There is a small plastic panel on the underside of the rear bumper that can be easily removed. The concern of course is whether I can get away with it. If I buy the car, I can do what ever I want to. My concern is I think this car will depreciate a lot as do most all high end cars from MB and BMW, etcetera. I hate losing money in that respect. So in the end we decided not to pursue the car. What probably decided this was they were only willing to give me wholesale for my 2020 Tesla Model X. They were just going to wholesale the car out and not try and sell it as a used car. So I was losing around $20,000 to $25,000. That did not make me very happy.
If I try and sell the Tesla myself for around $95k, who ever buys it will need financing and I cannot do that for them. That is why a dealer is in a much better position to get top dollar. Oh well

Last edited by drmanny3; 10-29-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS
Originally Posted by drmanny3
We test drove the EQS 580 SUV that had my name on it. The car had everything and stickered for $142,200. I found the car extremely comfortable and a real looker. The five zone air conditioning blows pretty well in the back area. We verified our dog would fit with the third row folded and would be comfortable. The car tends to lean into the turns which is part of the comfort aspect. I could live with it. The big issue remains the hitch. The Dealership said they would not alter the car by purchasing the OEM hitch and installing it. If I leased the car, (rates are terrible) I might not be able to do the hitch myself. I suppose as long as I am careful and don't damage anything, I could get away with it. There is a small plastic panel on the underside of the rear bumper that can be easily removed. The concern of course is whether I can get away with it. If I buy the car, I can do what ever I want to. My concern is I think this car will depreciate a lot as do most all high end cars from MB and BMW, etcetera. I hate losing money in that respect. So in the end we decided not to pursue the car. What probably decided this was they were only willing to give me wholesale for my 2020 Tesla Model X. They were just going to wholesale the car out and not try and sell it as a used car. So I was losing around $20,000 to $25,000. That did not make me very happy.
If I try and sell the Tesla myself for around $95k, who ever buys it will need financing and I cannot do that for them. That is why a dealer is in a much better position to get top dollar. Oh well
What did you end up doing?
Has anyone found a good solution?

The SeaSucker mounts seem to work pretty well on the roof, but it's a pain to get the front wheel off , and lift the bike up there. SeaSucker says the Talon mounts work on the rear glass, and I was able to do it. But something makes me nervous about that setup... It just seems like a lot of pressure on that rear glass. That being said, I saw pictures of people sitting on their mountain bikes while they were adhered to the rear glass of an SUV using these mounts, so maybe my concern isn't well founded.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for EcoHitch or someone to make a hitch kit. But for the time being, I have SeaSucker. If anyone else has a good solution, would be great to share.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:11 PM

2017 Acura NSX
I agree, that a rear hitch is really the way to go. Trying to lift the bikes overhead is asking for a serious scratch. I would also decline to use the rear window structurally. As you note someone out there will make something work. The key is to determine if structurally the car is different in back with or without the third row. A service technician could look that up. As I noted there is a small plastic panel that can be easily removed near the rear bumper. Perhaps that will give access to installing the hitch from Mercedes or someone’s else’s hitch.