EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Freezing Temp Charging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 08:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E250 Diesel, 2015 S550, 2023 EQS SUV 450+
Freezing Temp Charging

Here in North Texas we had a nice 3 days or so of freezing temps. Time for an experiment at an EA 150 kW fast charger, exactly 20 miles from the house. I've visited this charger (150kW) twice before, each time in 70+F temps. Was able to achieve a max charge rate in the 140s each time. Preconditioned each time, did not look to see what the max charge rate was at the start of the trip as I wasn't doing any kind of evaluation. Upon arrival at the charger if remember correctly starting rate was about 120-125 kWh each time. That's a guess because I didn't make a note of it, just working off memory.

On test afternoon it was partly sunny, about 15F temp, wind chill just below 0F. Set the destination to the charger and the car showed the current max charge rate was 62 kW at departure. While driving I couldn't help but notice how the temp affected efficiency. My calculated range (using real miles and real energy added) has been over 300 miles in warmer weather....didn't calculate it here but I'll bet for this relatively short 40 mile round trip a 100% range calculation likely would have been in the 200 mile range vicinity.

Upon arrival the car indicated the max charge rate was 84 kWh...thought it would be higher with the 20 miles/25 minutes of preconditioning but I had that thought with absolutely no data....just assumed the battery would be ready to accept the full charger speed rate upon arrival. Charger did start with with a charge rate of about 84 kWh. Charged for 28 minutes (to 80%). The peak charge rate was 124 kWh before dropping off as it approached the 80% mark.

My take away is cold temps has a huge impact. Largely irrelevant to me living in Texas where these temps are unusual and the car is in a garage with a Level 2 charger. But couldn't help to think if I lived in upstate NY (where I grew up with snow on the ground from early NOV to mid MAR) and the car was not garage kept and I relied on a fast charger only.....I would not want an EV.

Would love to see a reply from someone who relies on a fast charger and the car is not garaged....how did you manage during this recent freeze that hit so much of the nation?

Old 12-26-2022, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I cannot answer your question since I only charge at home and at our weekend place but can relate this fact. We had three friends visit us over the Holiday who usually drive EV’s. Temperatures were below 20F and all three drove to our house in their ICE cars having some bit of range anxiety.