Plug and Charge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS 450 4matic SUV, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Plug and Charge

Hello

Anybody here tried Plug and Charge with other charge networks other than Electrify America? Based on the information available on MB website, EA, ChargePoint and EVgo are partners and just EA is free to use (https://www.mbusa.com/en/charge). Yesterday I tried to use EVgo near my home and it wouldn't initiate a charge when authenticated using the Charge Me card. It recognized the card and authenticated the session, but failed to initiate the session. It errors out after showing "Connecting to your car" message for sometime.

The charger works fine since I was able to charge using EVgo app. Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2023, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 390 Likes on 266 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I couldn't even get EVgo to recognize the ChargePoint card Mercedes gave me so you're one up on me. Like you though, same charger worked fine from the EVgo app. I've since gotten a Splitvolt 5.8kW dryer outlet charger for home and figure the cost to charge overnight (off-peak hours) is $2.50 vs about $50 using EVgo so doubt I'll be using them much anyways. EVgo is for road trip emergencies only.

EDIT: And considering how much they're making off reselling electricity it's almost a crime for the federal government to subsidize them with taxpayer money.

Last edited by Crito; 05-18-2023 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crito:
LAZARU5 (05-18-2023), sjmbeqs (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS 450 4matic SUV, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Thank you. I do have a Juicebox (40 amp) at home which is plenty for my daily commute. I was making sure DC fast charging works and also testing out the Plug and Charge. I have been doing this with every EV I got so far. I wouldn't want to be stranded/be on the support call on a long road trip trying to figure this out. EVgo seems to be charging way too much in your area. I charged from 35% to 100% yesterday and cost me ~$23

Also, did you add your charge card in ChargePoint app? You have to log in to the ChargePoint app and add register the card. It is not really very clear on the MB documentation. It only says to register the card using the serial number. But does not mention where.

Last edited by sjmbeqs; 05-18-2023 at 09:47 AM. Reason: additional details
Old 05-18-2023, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 390 Likes on 266 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Yeah, I added my CC info in the Mercedes Me app. Summer electricity rates have just kicked in here in Texas and it costs almost 6X as much to charge my EV between 1PM and 9PM vs off peak hours, so it's not entirely EVgo's fault/greed. Still, it costs them 16 cents per kWh (peak rate) and they're reselling it to me for 54 cents per kWh.