EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Dealership damaged car before taking delivery. What are the options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2023 | 12:36 AM

2014 E350, 2017 Subaru WRX
Dealership damaged car before taking delivery. What are the options?

Friend of mine was picking up an EQS450 in California. He missed a small but deep dent (needs panel replacement) before signing the paperwork. Luckily, before driving away we noticed the dent and the salesperson suggested leaving the car so that they can fix it. But, my concern is that panel replacement will take minimum of a week during which friend will be out of a car but his lease period has officially started. Luckily, the car didn't leave dealer's lot so hope that helps his case. What are his options considering California laws?

1. Have dealership rewrite contract to start lease on the date car is fixed.

2. Have dealership reimburse him for period car is being fixed? Say, 30$/day for a 900/month lease.

3. Provide a loaner without any other financial benefit

Is the dealer obliged to do any of this? Also, will this repair show up in carfax reports?
Old 07-03-2023 | 12:43 AM

EQS
Is your friend set on getting that car or is there an alternative? Afaik a panel replaced will be reflected on the vehicle report so your friend is really not buying a new car anymore, not sure if this is any different if dealer fixes it before the car is sold. If you provide some details, maybe someone here can also pitch in about how involved the work would be, how much they have to dismantle so on.

However I would for sure not sign anything or put down any deposit at that point. Dealership will put pressure to do so and will say they can't guarantee they will keep the car so on but my answer would be so be it.
The following users liked this post:
brad_saggy (07-04-2023)
Old 07-03-2023 | 07:19 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by brad_saggy
Friend of mine was picking up an EQS450 in California. He missed a small but deep dent (needs panel replacement) before signing the paperwork. Luckily, before driving away we noticed the dent and the salesperson suggested leaving the car so that they can fix it. But, my concern is that panel replacement will take minimum of a week during which friend will be out of a car but his lease period has officially started. Luckily, the car didn't leave dealer's lot so hope that helps his case. What are his options considering California laws?

1. Have dealership rewrite contract to start lease on the date car is fixed.

2. Have dealership reimburse him for period car is being fixed? Say, 30$/day for a 900/month lease.

3. Provide a loaner without any other financial benefit

Is the dealer obliged to do any of this? Also, will this repair show up in carfax reports?
Refuse the car.

Seek a corrective action (repair or replace) with the dealer.

Deal with the inconvenience of being without a car. Buy a temporarily car, rent, Uber, etc.
brad_saggy (07-04-2023)
Old 07-03-2023 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
See if the dealer will let them use a vehicle for a week. Whether its a service loaner car or just a random car off the used lot, if the dealer truly wants the sale (which they likely will because EQ's are slow sellers), they will offer transportation of some sort.
The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
brad_saggy (07-04-2023), chassis (07-03-2023)
Old 07-04-2023 | 03:22 AM

2014 E350, 2017 Subaru WRX
Thank you for the suggestions. We decided to refuse delivery of car since it will take 2 months for fixing the damaged panel and that is too much of an unnecessary risk
chassis (07-04-2023)
Old 07-28-2023 | 08:21 AM

EQS 450
Yup. Mine was also out of action for 2 months after I had barely driven for 1 week. Lucky for you, you were able to refuse delivery.