EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Hardwiring radar detector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi R8 V10
Hardwiring radar detector

Has anyone hardwired his/her radar detector from the passenger fuse panel or the rear view mirror compartment using a mirror tap?
Old 07-05-2023, 11:24 AM

Received 259 Likes on 153 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by aquarian
Has anyone hardwired his/her radar detector from the passenger fuse panel or the rear view mirror compartment using a mirror tap?
I installed a 12v accessory socket in the center console. I could not find an "ignition" switched circuit in the passenger foot well fuse panel or in the driver side dashboard fuse panel. The design of the fuse panel with safety latches on one edge of the fuse interferes with using a typical piggyback fuse tap. I ended up running a wire on the passenger side along the outer edge of the floor under the door threshold trim and tapping into the existing 12v accessory socket fuse in the panel under under the subfloor storage compartment. This was a little extra work, but I like the idea of sharing the circuit with the 12v accessory socket in the cargo area which I do not use while driving.

This is the fuse tap I used along with a flag style connector.

Amazon Amazon

Fuse Tap on cargo compartment 12v accessory socket circuit.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 07-06-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:48 AM

Audi R8 V10
Thanks. I did read your thread on adding an extra 12v outlet. I was hoping for an easier way to hardwire a radar detector. Hopefully someone in the future can point out exactly which wire to tap into from the rear mirror area. You are ZAZARU5 from the other site, right?

Originally Posted by fgwinn
I installed a 12v accessory socket in the center console. I could not find an "ignition" switched circuit in the passenger foot well fuse panel or in the driver side dashboard fuse panel. The design of the fuse panel with safety latches on one edge of the fuse interferes with using a typical piggyback fuse tap. I ended up running a wire on the passenger side along the outer edge of the floor under the door threshold trim and tapping into the existing 12v accessory socket fuse in the panel under under the subfloor storage compartment. This was a little extra work, but I like the idea of sharing the circuit with the 12v accessory socket in the cargo area which I do not use while driving.

This is the fuse tap I used along with a flag style connector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-05-2023, 01:08 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
....You are LAZARU5 from the other site, right?
Correct. I don't do many DIY posts on the other site since there does not seem to be much interest in making modifications on that forum.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:51 PM

Audi R8 V10
So, I can confirm that the USB-C ports on EQS SUV shut off after about 5 min after turning off the car. So technically one can hardwire a radar detector to the USB port through the usual route. But, because I have the acoustic package with IR glass, I can't put my radar detector on the driver's side next to the mirror! It's either on the right of the mirror (my Uniden R7 won't fit from that small opening on the glass) or very low in the center of the windshield. If I place my radar detector there, I can't really hardwire it because the detector is not reachable (muting) during driving. I really should have bought an EQS without the acoustic package.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:25 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Do any of the Uniden radar detectors have a remote controller that would allow you to position it at the lower windshield position?
Old 08-04-2023, 02:36 PM

Audi R8 V10
The cord that comes with the radar detector does have a remote button for muting but it's not designed for hardwiring as it's corrugated.

Do any of the Uniden radar detectors have a remote controller that would allow you to position it at the lower windshield position?
Old 08-05-2023, 09:09 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
The cord that comes with the radar detector does have a remote button for muting but it's not designed for hardwiring as it's corrugated.
When I suggested "remote" control of the radar detector I was thinking more of a wireless remote.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:58 PM

Audi R8 V10
I don't believe such thing exits for radar detectors.

When I suggested "remote" control of the radar detector I was thinking more of a wireless remote.