EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Why doesn't MB offer a no frills EQS SUV for under $80K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 10:42 AM

Received 259 Likes on 153 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Why doesn't MB offer a no frills EQS SUV for under $80K?

Before I retired I used GL450 SUVs in my small business. I rarely drove further than 150 miles for supply runs or exhibiting at car shows. The 305 mile range would have been more than adequate. Both my 2010 and 2013 GL450s had MSRPs below $80K. I think there would be a market for an "entry level" EQS SUV equipped more like a GLS450. I think the RWD EQS SUV could be de-optioned to bring the price below $80K. Things I would change to bring the price of the EQS 450+ down to $80K:

1) Make leather interior optional. Offer MBtex interior.
2) Make Sun roof optional. Change Sun roof to fixed glass, but retain shade (eliminating the glass roof all together would require too many interior/exterior changes).
3) Drop the free 30-minute EA DC charging.
4) Make power second row seats optional. Five seat only with fixed rear seating and manual folding rear seat backs.
5) Make RAS optional.
6) Change warranty to 3-year/36K miles.
7) Drop 20K mile complimentary service.
8) Make Burmester sound system optional.
9) Make heated/ventilated front seats optional.
10) Make power folding mirrors optional.

Even if MB never sold a single stripped down EQS SUV they could advertise an $80K entry level price that qualified the SUV for the $7500 tax credit.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Mb’s percentage of profits are much higher selling the public “bundles” of accessories, many that someone may never use. A lower priced stripped down version would sell enough to kill the money they make now on the higher end versions. They are a “for profit” company.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 471 Likes on 348 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by fgwinn
Before I retired I used GL450 SUVs in my small business. I rarely drove further than 150 miles for supply runs or exhibiting at car shows. The 305 mile range would have been more than adequate. Both my 2010 and 2013 GL450s had MSRPs below $80K. I think there would be a market for an "entry level" EQS SUV equipped more like a GLS450. I think the RWD EQS SUV could be de-optioned to bring the price below $80K. Things I would change to bring the price of the EQS 450+ down to $80K:

1) Make leather interior optional. Offer MBtex interior.
2) Make Sun roof optional. Change Sun roof to fixed glass, but retain shade (eliminating the glass roof all together would require too many interior/exterior changes).
3) Drop the free 30-minute EA DC charging.
4) Make power second row seats optional. Five seat only with fixed rear seating and manual folding rear seat backs.
5) Make RAS optional.
6) Change warranty to 3-year/36K miles.
7) Drop 20K mile complimentary service.
8) Make Burmester sound system optional.
9) Make heated/ventilated front seats optional.
10) Make power folding mirrors optional.

Even if MB never sold a single stripped down EQS SUV they could advertise an $80K entry level price that qualified the SUV for the $7500 tax credit.
That's what the EQE SUV is for. And even if you take a look at the current GLS, it has a nearly 90K starting price now with standard burmester, vented seats, power fold mirrors, and pano roof. It doesn't make sense for MB to offer the possibility to build a car spec that would sell so little.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 390 Likes on 266 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
As an EQE SUV owner I think it's a great idea. If you sell someone a car with creaky plastic and rattles for $100K they're not likely to buy a more expensive one for $150K and they certainly won't buy a Maybach with creaky plastic and rattles. They might, however, buy a cheaper Mercedes in the future where the cheap materials won't be as big of a deal.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:33 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
That's what the EQE SUV is for. And even if you take a look at the current GLS, it has a nearly 90K starting price now with standard burmester, vented seats, power fold mirrors, and pano roof. It doesn't make sense for MB to offer the possibility to build a car spec that would sell so little.
If MB EV sales continue to lag it may make sense to offer the stripped down EQS SUV version I described in order to amortize the tooling cost of the core vehicle. There are very few EQS SUVs on the road. After just under a year and 23K miles I have yet to see another one on the road. So far, other than on dealer lots, I have not seen a single EQS SUV, except for one at an EA charging station in Los Angeles. In contrast, I see Teslas practically every time I stop at a red light. Well, maybe not every light, but you get the idea.

Offering the minimally optioned version would get more people in the showroom, even if they did not sell a single one. I once had a school picture photographer as a client. He offered one package with three wallet sized photos of your kid for $2.95. He never sold a single package. But, schools awarded him the photography photo contract because he offered the lowest price compared to his competitors.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 10-06-2023 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:18 PM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by fgwinn
If MB EV sales continue to lag it may make sense to offer the stripped down EQS SUV version I described in order to amortize the tooling cost of the core vehicle. There are very few EQS SUVs on the road. After just under a year and 23K miles I have yet to see another one on the road. So far, other than on dealer lots ,I have not seen a single EQS SUV, except for one at an EA charging station in Los Angeles. In contrast, I see Teslas practically every time I stop at a red light. Well, maybe not every light, but you get the idea.

Offering the minimally optioned version would get more people in the showroom, even if they did not sell a single one. I once had a school picture photographer as a client. He offered one package with three wallet sized photos of your kid for $2.95. He never sold a single package. But, schools awarded him the photography photo contract because he offered the lowest price compared to his competitors.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but I find myself wondering:
1) How many potential MB buyers have "low price" as their #1 criterion.
2) Does MB want to risk brand "cachet" by offering low-price versions of their top vehicles.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:10 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by ScottC2
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but I find myself wondering:
1) How many potential MB buyers have "low price" as their #1 criterion.
2) Does MB want to risk brand "cachet" by offering low-price versions of their top vehicles.
I agree, MB customers of E-Class and S-Class vehicles are not shopping for a low price alternative. Price conscious customers shop for C-Class vehicles. However, the E-Class and S-Class customers probably have a hard time understanding why an equivalent EV version of a vehicle costs $20K to $30K more than its ICE cousin. Especially, when MB is offering steep discounts to clear out EV inventory.

As to risking the brand status, why has it been okay to offer GLS Class SUVs with MBtex interiors and without RAS for the last 20 years.
The following users liked this post:
ScottC2 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 10:49 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
I would rather have low power motors but still fully loaded. I don’t need that much power. But luxury still very important
The following 2 users liked this post by guess2098:
gsenk (10-07-2023), ScottC2 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 03:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Audi Q7 2021
Whats worst is that even the 2023 EQS Electric motors is not from Benz. It's from Valeo Siemens. Imagine paying premium cost for your S Class where it's internal combustion engine is not from Benz. Then why pay Benz S Class pricing at all ?

Last edited by MBEQGuy; 10-08-2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:01 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
I dont think that really matter. they can't manufacture everything in house. they dont even made their own logo.
as long as the parts are good then it would be fine.

Originally Posted by MBEQGuy
Whats worst is that even the 2023 EQS Electric motors is not from Benz. It's from Valeo Siemens. Imagine paying premium cost for your S Class where it's internal combustion engine is not from Benz. Then why pay Benz S Class pricing at all ?
The following users liked this post:
LAZARU5 (10-09-2023)