EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

EQS Level 3 Charging Fault/Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS 450+ SUV
Exclamation EQS Level 3 Charging Fault/Error

Have EQS 450+ SUV with ~10k miles. Typically great experience and use level 2 ChargePoint at home. Previously had Volvo XC90 hybrid so familiar with assorted charging processes. In last 3 months, I have had to take several 250 mile road trips to support aging family member. Usually spend the night on level 1 charge and hit Level 3 charger on way out of town before I head home. Smoothly worked one time. All other times get fault error and charging operation discontinues at almost precisely 5 minutes. Literally have to reconnect every 5 minutes for hours to get enough charge to get home. I tried Electrify America, ChargePoint and a private label super chargers and got the exact same result. In several cases, Electrify America did not “recognize” my vehicle which usually happens given MercedsMe account. My MB dealer said they could see the “codes” last time, reset the systems and tested at a local Level 3. Just took next trip and experienced exact same reoccurring issue. Took to dealer in location I travelled to and they had same experience on Level 3 so moved to Level 2 but didn’t know the answer to the problem. Currently at my MB dealer and I am in no hurry to pick up given I am older women who travels rural roads frequently so getting fully charged with confidence away from home is essential for safety.

Anyone else have a similar issue or any clues that might be helpful?

Normally charge to 85% but moved to 100% since on road trip.

Typical error message I get when level 3 disconnects.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:29 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
If it is usually 5 minutes after starting charging, my guess would be something with thermal management. In any case, dealer will have to take a look at it.

Make sure the L3 charger dealer is using is a fast one (150kw). There is a chance that issue you have doesn't happen if you are using a slower 50kw charger vs the fast ones like Evgo, Electrify America ones.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:29 PM

2023 EQS SUV
The dealer will likely determine the root cause. My SUV had similar issue after it was in for a different reason. The DC control unit was replaced because level 3 wasn’t working while level 1 and 2 were fine.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:17 AM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Plug-and-Charge has worked 99% of the time last year but from the 1st onwards I'm getting the same error. I can start charging from the Mercedes Me app just fine, no cost and all.

The funny bit is that the Mercedes Me customer service agent was useless, the Electrify America agent knew about the work-around.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:53 PM

EQS 450+ SUV
Hi Again - our problem with the EQS 450+ is still reoccuring. Literally will throw a fault code and disconnect during Level 3 charging which has left me stranded in various places. Mercedes has replaced numerous parts, including the entire hv battery but the problem reoccured. I filed a claim with MBUSA and have had terrible experience, especially for a long time Mercedes owner. Very frustrating as I have zero confidence in a $100k vehicle. Anyone have suggestions on how to deal with MBUSA?
Old 03-11-2024, 10:53 AM

2023 EQS SUV
Originally Posted by 450eqstexas
Hi Again - our problem with the EQS 450+ is still reoccuring. Literally will throw a fault code and disconnect during Level 3 charging which has left me stranded in various places. Mercedes has replaced numerous parts, including the entire hv battery but the problem reoccured. I filed a claim with MBUSA and have had terrible experience, especially for a long time Mercedes owner. Very frustrating as I have zero confidence in a $100k vehicle. Anyone have suggestions on how to deal with MBUSA?
I see you’re in TX. 30 days of fixing without resolution is required. The buy back process is harder but possible. I would work through MBFS first if it’s financed or leased through them. Simply informing them that you would start a buyback process might help trigger a quicker resolution.

My issues were resolved by changing the DC control unit multiple times as I explained. No clue why your dealer hasn’t been able to fix yours even with HV battery replacement. I can PM you my dealer info if you want to try them for a warranty fix.