EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Dealer markup $25 to $50k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 09:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by places
Exactly. Initial pent up demand for new releases will generate high ADM's. Especially if limited supply/production.

Even VIP status won't secure msrp necessarily. Perhaps reduced ADM at best in most markets. If it's an inventory car forget it, pay to play.
I was told the same thing in the past about several vehicles I purchased.
2010 Corvette: local dealer had 2 in stock, said that they would not go below MSRP. Went to my credit union auto buying program, they made a deal at the same dealership for 2K less.
Nissan GTR : was told none in the area, no one would sell to me under MSRP, limited production. Got one from a local dealer at 3K under MSRP.
Jaguar XKRS: was told there was only one on the east coast, dealer would not agree to my offer. I left the dealer, got a call back about 15 mins after I got home accepting my offer.
2014 Audi S8: local dealers said no one would sell below MSRP. Dealer in MD said they would sell for invoice + 600.00 . Local dealer called me back to see how my search was going and then matched the MD dealer price. This was the same dealer that said no one would sell below MSRP.
2015 Corvette Z06 (first year for C7 Z06): local dealer was asking 23K above MSRP (same dealer as the 2010 purchase). Got one from Kerbek in NJ for MSRP and paid about 1K to have shipped.

There is very little expense associated with a ordered car for the dealership. No carry charges for having a vehicle sitting on the lot for weeks, no real work on the part of the sales person, and they also know they make more money in the finance office and in service than they do on the sale of the vehicle anyway.

Also there is always tons of hype around new vehicles and the initial orders pile up, but then the prices are announced, options start to disappear, financial situations change, and folks start to drop off the list. In this case, folks also start to think about the logistics surrounding owning an electric vehicle. We have already seen some of those stories here on the forum. Not all of those names on a list actually turn into purchases.

My point is that dealers don't always get what they ask for and it doesn't hurt to contact multiple dealerships. Also use the forum resources. Some forum members already know dealers which are placing orders at MSRP. If we stop supporting dealerships charging ADM, they will have to stop charging ADM or risk the expense of having the vehicles just sitting in the showrooms. By the way, my first MB purchase was a fully loaded 2016 S 63 AMG 2-door. I bought it in 2017 at a significant discount to MSRP after it had been sitting in a showroom in Arkansas for a year. I guess they finally decided to cut their loses.
The following users liked this post:
Ormond2004 (12-06-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by bnzvett
2010 Corvette: local dealer had 2 in stock, said that they would not go below MSRP. Went to my credit union auto buying program, they made a deal at the same dealership for 2K less.
Nissan GTR : was told none in the area, no one would sell to me under MSRP, limited production. Got one from a local dealer at 3K under MSRP.
Jaguar XKRS: was told there was only one on the east coast, dealer would not agree to my offer. I left the dealer, got a call back about 15 mins after I got home accepting my offer.
2014 Audi S8: local dealers said no one would sell below MSRP. Dealer in MD said they would sell for invoice + 600.00 . Local dealer called me back to see how my search was going and then matched the MD dealer price. This was the same dealer that said no one would sell below MSRP.
2015 Corvette Z06 (first year for C7 Z06): local dealer was asking 23K above MSRP (same dealer as the 2010 purchase). Got one from Kerbek in NJ for MSRP and paid about 1K to have shipped.

There is very little expense associated with a ordered car for the dealership. No carry charges for having a vehicle sitting on the lot for weeks, no real work on the part of the sales person, and they also know they make more money in the finance office and in service than they do on the sale of the vehicle anyway.

Also there is always tons of hype around new vehicles and the initial orders pile up, but then the prices are announced, options start to disappear, financial situations change, and folks start to drop off the list. In this case, folks also start to think about the logistics surrounding owning an electric vehicle. We have already seen some of those stories here on the forum. Not all of those names on a list actually turn into purchases.

My point is that dealers don't always get what they ask for and it doesn't hurt to contact multiple dealerships. Also use the forum resources. Some forum members already know dealers which are placing orders at MSRP. If we stop supporting dealerships charging ADM, they will have to stop charging ADM or risk the expense of having the vehicles just sitting in the showrooms. By the way, my first MB purchase was a fully loaded 2016 S 63 AMG 2-door. I bought it in 2017 at a significant discount to MSRP after it had been sitting in a showroom in Arkansas for a year. I guess they finally decided to cut their loses.
I don't disagree. Times are different however, and it seems like the luxury market has gone mad. My local dealer has a 4K markup on GLA's, because they can. Now selling G's for 125K over, nuts. Maybach GLS is 100K over.

We are in a shortage, the question is will things return to where they were or will we adopt the euro model where dealers have limited inventory, hold gross, and orders will become more prevalent. Days of discounting gone?

In a regular market it does not cost the dealer more to order a car, but in a hot market it does. Less inventory equates to missed opportunity. Visit the G forums and you hear it all the time, people have orders in writing at msrp, vehicle arrives and 60-100k markup if you want it. Dealers are horse trading among themselves with the markups, not at msrp. I don't expect the EQS market to be much different, it will be a hot model to get. Few early orders will be the lucky ones, and then once dealers realize the potential they will capitalize on it. Dealers and salespeople are making the same or more they did before all this, selling fewer cars and no negotiating.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:16 PM

I don't disagree. Times are different however, and it seems like the luxury market has gone mad. My local dealer has a 4K markup on GLA's, because they can. Now selling G's for 125K over, nuts. Maybach GLS is 100K over.

We are in a shortage, the question is will things return to where they were or will we adopt the euro model where dealers have limited inventory, hold gross, and orders will become more prevalent. Days of discounting gone?

In a regular market it does not cost the dealer more to order a car, but in a hot market it does. Less inventory equates to missed opportunity. Visit the G forums and you hear it all the time, people have orders in writing at msrp, vehicle arrives and 60-100k markup if you want it. Dealers are horse trading among themselves with the markups, not at msrp. I don't expect the EQS market to be much different, it will be a hot model to get. Few early orders will be the lucky ones, and then once dealers realize the potential they will capitalize on it. Dealers and salespeople are making the same or more they did before all this, selling fewer cars and no negotiating.
I guess that means that I will have to wait. From what I understand, cars depreciate from MSRP, not from what you paid for it. So now you drive off the lot and you have immediately lost that much more (all of the ADM plus some of the MSRP). If you are financing, better get that GAP insurance.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 Tesla Model S
Depreciating is not happening right now. My Tesla Model X is worth more than I paid for it 18 months ago. But, with a $25K to $50K markup on the EQS, I don't think anyone paying those prices have any hope of recovering. They simply have the money and want the car.
Ormond2004 (12-08-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cadillac CT6
It took a lot of searching but I found a dealer who agreed to a $5K markup over msrp. Ordinarily I’d have simply waited for awhile for the market to stabilize but I need an EV vehicle in the next 8 months and I didn’t like the Tesla sedan. The yoke steering wasn’t for me.
Ormond2004 (12-06-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:31 AM

2022 Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by CityHall&Oates
It took a lot of searching but I found a dealer who agreed to a $5K markup over msrp. Ordinarily I’d have simply waited for awhile for the market to stabilize but I need an EV vehicle in the next 8 months and I didn’t like the Tesla sedan. The yoke steering wasn’t for me.
Nice that you fessed up to paying over retail. I am paying $5K over for a 580. But, reading this thread, I think I did pretty damn well.
Ormond2004 (12-06-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:43 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
You cant blame the dealers....I would do the same (and did when I was in the car game!)....at the end of the day they are a business not a charity and all the time there are loaded wealthy gullible people to take advantage of they will do it!......Blame the buyers....if people were not silly enough to pay those prices they would soon come tumbling down. Exactly why I've put my car search on hold. I refuse to pay over the odds....to potentially lose a fortune (for me at least) down the line.

Last edited by ALFAitalia; 11-11-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jackinhs
Nice that you fessed up to paying over retail. I am paying $5K over for a 580. But, reading this thread, I think I did pretty damn well.
you did well, 5k is nothing. congrats.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
you did well, 5k is nothing. congrats.
This is why dealers charge ADM. For some $5k is "nothing and for others $50k is "nothing"
places (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 09:44 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
LOL.....and that's exactly what you are getting for your 5 or 50 thousand dollars over MSRP......NOTHING!......the dealer however???!!!
Old 11-11-2021, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ALFAitalia
LOL.....and that's exactly what you are getting for your 5 or 50 thousand dollars over MSRP......NOTHING!......the dealer however???!!!
right, you basically need to be ok with burning that ADM money, its the mere satisfaction of purchasing. unless you are buying a G.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:11 AM

2022 Tesla Model S
With the $7,500 tax credit, I figured that I was still getting $2.5K of it. So, still below MSRP in reality.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jackinhs
With the $7,500 tax credit, I figured that I was still getting $2.5K of it. So, still below MSRP in reality.
however you need to look at it, personally thinking over msrp is over msrp.
jackinhs (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS ordered, 2018 GLS
The tax credit will be ending in 2021 correct? The new rules with price of car less than 80k could be potentially starting in 2022? Someone shed some light if you have any more info.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by AstroCV
The tax credit will be ending in 2021 correct? The new rules with price of car less than 80k could be potentially starting in 2022? Someone shed some light if you have any more info.
Currently there is no expiration. The credit is phased out based on the manufacturer sells. So I think both GM and Tesla have reached 200,000 vehicle sales so no credit if you buy one of those. There are quite a few changes being proposed to this law in both houses of congress, but I don't think anything has been passed yet. Some of these proposals would eliminate the credit for high priced vehicles like the EQS.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

The following 2 users liked this post by bnzvett:
jackinhs (11-12-2021), Soulman (11-13-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cadillac CT6
Yeah, reading this thread I think my $5K was ok, too. I can live with it.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
taycan turbo
Currently there is no expiration. The credit is phased out based on the manufacturer sells. So I think both GM and Tesla have reached 200,000 vehicle sales so no credit if you buy one of those. There are quite a few changes being proposed to this law in both houses of congress, but I don't think anything has been passed yet. Some of these proposals would eliminate the credit for high priced vehicles like the EQS.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml
I thought every proposal has the $$$ limit on vehicles?
Old 11-13-2021, 02:23 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Has anyone tried to order or buy a car from MB of Manhatten? They are owned by MB USA and I would think they would not sell above MSRP.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by perlfather
Has anyone tried to order or buy a car from MB of Manhatten? They are owned by MB USA and I would think they would not sell above MSRP.
Last I read a while ago in the G forum, the waitlist is forever, good luck on that. Not sure if they changed the policy on ADM's, for a while they weren't charging.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 450 Likes on 358 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by perlfather
They are selling G's at over MSRP, not sure about the EQS.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
P90D
Yesterday my local dealer quoted me $15,000 over for the EQS450 and $30,000 over for the EQS580. They weren't sure about the EQS AMG yet.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:56 AM

Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Yeah, my local has one close to that price as well. They'll get it. Crazy times.
Ohhhh!!!!….BS…… black series…. I’m awake now

thought I was under the rock when a new GT was released
Old 12-05-2021, 10:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi

To your point...I ordered a 450 from Mercedes Benz of Sugarland (Texas)...selling it to me at MSRP. They will add a $450 dealer fee, sales tax and that is all. Across town, Sewell Mercedes also said they would sell at MSRP.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:23 AM
eqs

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS 580 4MATIC
At least one Bay Area dealer has a markup of $20K on the 450 and $30K on the 580. They did say the markup will go away once the supply stabilizes.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS SUV cancelled, Audi Q7, Ferrari F12
Talking

I southern NJ, 2 dealers want 10K
over and one is NOT up charging for the 580, ordered mine at that dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer markup $25 to $50k