EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Battery heater and heat pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Battery heater and heat pump

I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to. Is there a battery heater that can be used to precondition the battery for charging. I've seen comments here that seem to indicate very low charging rates in cold temperatures.

Also, is the heater a heat pump, and is there a resistive heater that kicks in in very cold climates?
Old 01-11-2022, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Yes the battery has its own preconditioning sytem. How it works is a mystery to me. As far as I have heard the EQS uses a resistive heater not a so called heat pump. Heat pumps are supposedly more efficient but they are also less effective as it gets colder. Not an expert but thats my understanding. Alex On Autos has an episode that talks about EV and their heating systems.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
BTW seems the EQA does use a pump..... I don't know if that applies to the EQS
Old 01-11-2022, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by c4004matic
BTW seems the EQA does use a pump..... I don't know if that applies to the EQS
The EQC does as well. I imagine that all of the MB electric vehicles will as well.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
EQS certainly has a heat pump in Europe at least, must be as above, for all MB EVs (except the first B-class with a Tesla motor, that did not have any heat pump).

My understanding is that a cold high voltage battery is heated up with a resistive heater for charging. Seems the heat pump is not used at that phase but not a big deal anyway as the car is plugged and energy comes from a wallbox.

EDIT: to avoid incorrect information, appears the EQS release info has been misleading. No real heat pump for interior heating at the time of release.
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/85359...t-working.html

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 02-05-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Thanks

Thanks, everyone. Those were the answers I was hoping for.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by Don_in_Oregon
Thanks, everyone. Those were the answers I was hoping for.
Not enough real-world experience reported yet. Best description of charging at cold temperatures is by Bjorn Nyland - he did couple of long trips in Norway with the EQS 580. He tried to choose the charging point as destination - this is how Tesla and Taycan would pre-condition the battery. It did not work, he got only around 150 kW initially at temp around 2C (36F)- check at around 7 min into the video
. On the other hand, when he selected the destination and let the EQS pick up the charging station, he was able to get 180 KW at outside temp of -14C (7F); check around 5 min into the video
. He thought EQS may be pre-conditioning when it self-selects the charging station. Finally, The EQS was the fastest to 100% when compared to Audi e-tron GT, Mustang Mach-E and an older Tesla model S
. That is despite having by far the largest battery.

Last edited by svp6; 01-13-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:13 PM

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Tesla Model S
To get maximum charging speed with the EQS, you need to pre-condition the battery (true with all EVs). This is done by ensuring the charger is selected as a destination. The EQS will then ensure the battery is at optimal temp upon arriving at the charger. When Bjorn achieved lower charging speed, it was because he stopped to charge w/o letting the EQS know via navigation. He acknowledge this insight in his video.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by avilent
To get maximum charging speed with the EQS, you need to pre-condition the battery (true with all EVs). This is done by ensuring the charger is selected as a destination. The EQS will then ensure the battery is at optimal temp upon arriving at the charger. When Bjorn achieved lower charging speed, it was because he stopped to charge w/o letting the EQS know via navigation. He acknowledge this insight in his video.
I'm not sure what you mean by "this is done by ensuring the charger is selected as a destination." Please explain. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:51 PM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
Not sure about it - in the 1000 km challenge you see he selects the charging station as destination each time. On his 3rd stop he is at 2C and gets only 150 kW. He keeps complaining about "cold-gating" but then in the subsequent trip (second video) he comments about the car preheating because it self-selected the charger.

@avilent , both my Tesla and Taycan pre-heat the battery for optimal charging only if you select the charging station as a destination in your navigation system. I was quite surprised first time I tried, as the consumption of the Taycan went way higher all of a sudden about 15 miles to the charger - until I figured out it pre-heats the battery.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:38 PM

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Tesla Model S
Yes - Exactly - At the present time the only way to tell the EQS - "get ready for charging" is to make the charger a destination in the navigation. Once you do so, the system preps the temp of the battery accordingly. This is something that could be fixed through OTA (BTW - this is also the case with other EV like Tesla).

If anyone in Sindelfingen is listening... Please give us a "Pre-condition for DC charging" button. Danke!
Old 01-14-2022, 11:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
e320
Originally Posted by avilent
This is not true. Bjorn only got max charging speed on the EQS by selecting a final destination which had chargers along the route
The following users liked this post:
svp6 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Yes the battery has its own preconditioning sytem. How it works is a mystery to me. As far as I have heard the EQS uses a resistive heater not a so called heat pump. Heat pumps are supposedly more efficient but they are also less effective as it gets colder. Not an expert but thats my understanding. Alex On Autos has an episode that talks about EV and their heating systems.
I know some of these YouTube review folks are not always 100% accurate, but in this review at the 20:00 mark, the reviewer states no heat pump -
Old 02-05-2023, 05:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes gle
EQS, EQE or EQS SUV do NOT have heat pump. The first EQ model to introduce the heat pump is EQE SUV, but obviously it will be added to other EQ models later. Not possible to retrofit, I believe.
MBNUT1 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Mersufan
EQS, EQE or EQS SUV do NOT have heat pump. The first EQ model to introduce the heat pump is EQE SUV, but obviously it will be added to other EQ models later. Not possible to retrofit, I believe.
Correct although I'm not sure if EQE SUV or EQS SUV was the first in the US (the default here). Anyway, this thread was a year old, quite recently and extensively discussed on this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/85359...t-working.html
Old 02-05-2023, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Correct although I'm not sure if EQE SUV or EQS SUV was the first in the US (the default here). Anyway, this thread was a year old, quite recently and extensively discussed on this thread:https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/85359...t-working.html
And.... it makes sense. The EQS SUV doesn't reach the magical 300 mile range that has become the expected range of a big battery, expensive EV. Add cold weather, and the range of the SUV drops to the low 200 mile range, not what people expect of a non range anxiety inducing EV. THE EQS sedan can provide even in the coldest weather, range similar the the SUV range in good conditions. Ergo the need for a pump is less of an issue.
Diesel Benz (02-05-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ESQ 450+ AMG Line
Originally Posted by kp117
This is not true. Bjorn only got max charging speed on the EQS by selecting a final destination which had chargers along the route
Does the FINAL destination need to be a charging point to get the increased/expected charging speed?

I'm planning a 1,200 mile road trip across France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Hungary in my EQS (it's the base/entry-level 450+ AMG Line model).

As I am in the 1st year of ownership I have the use of free, unlimited, use of IONITY across Europe. That is great as there are a LOT of IONITY chargers across the route - way more than I expect to be needing.

However, I cannot tell the car to use IONITY exclusively. Whenever I plug the final destination in Hungary into the MBUX navigation, as Electric Intelligence is switched-on, it will always add-in charge stops that use a combination of Fastned, Allego, IONITY and a few others (as these are part of the Mercedes me Charge network). The route then shows me all the charging stops I need (along with the SOC on arrival, time to charge and what percentage to charge to). Great.. but this isn't what I want.

What I then did was set the satnav to NOT use Electric Intelligence. I then plugged-in the final destination in Hungary into the satnav and then manually searched for the desired IONITY charging locations along the way and added them to the route myself. However, this (obviously) does not tell me how long to charge for and what percentage to charge to (which is fine as I am using ABRP as a guide to select my IONITY charging stops).

I am wondering... is manually adding my charge stops (without Electric Intelligence), by searching for EV charging Stations along the route, actually the same as letting the car choose the charging stops...? Will it still do it's battery management magic with manually-added charging stops?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

bushu16 (05-02-2023)