EQS EQS (V297) sedan

How to condition battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 S500, 2022 G63, 2022 SL55
How to condition battery?

Any tips or best practices on how to condition the battery for optimal range and to avoid a drastic drop off in battery longevity?
Old 01-16-2022, 09:29 AM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by nikemikey
Any tips or best practices on how to condition the battery for optimal range and to avoid a drastic drop off in battery longevity?
I don't have an EQS (yet), but this is what worked for my previous EVs (3 Tesla's and a Taycan).

Optimize range
1. Set a departure time - both Tesla and Porsche software plan to charge up to the set time, thereby keeping the battery warm and pre-conditioning the cabin. A warm battery is significantly more efficient than a cold one, you will notice that. I suspect EQS should have something similar
2. Even if you did not optimize the departure time, precondition the cabin from the app while you are connected to the home charger. That saves you a bit of energy.

Prevent battery degradation
1. Don't charge to 100% daily - recommended level was 90% for Tesla and 85% for Taycan. I found those levels to be more than plentiful. I only charge to 100$ when going on a long trip, and then I minimize the time the battery stays at 100% (charge just before you leave).
2. Minimize the use of fast chargers - even if you get free charging at EA or Ionity, they both accelerate battery degradation. I use those only on road trips
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 03:31 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by svp6
I don't have an EQS (yet), but this is what worked for my previous EVs (3 Tesla's and a Taycan).

Optimize range
1. Set a departure time - both Tesla and Porsche software plan to charge up to the set time, thereby keeping the battery warm and pre-conditioning the cabin. A warm battery is significantly more efficient than a cold one, you will notice that. I suspect EQS should have something similar
2. Even if you did not optimize the departure time, precondition the cabin from the app while you are connected to the home charger. That saves you a bit of energy.

Prevent battery degradation
1. Don't charge to 100% daily - recommended level was 90% for Tesla and 85% for Taycan. I found those levels to be more than plentiful. I only charge to 100$ when going on a long trip, and then I minimize the time the battery stays at 100% (charge just before you leave).
2. Minimize the use of fast chargers - even if you get free charging at EA or Ionity, they both accelerate battery degradation. I use those only on road trips
After my 2+ years of experience with an Audi E-Tron this is exactly what worked and what is recommended by the Audi EV community.
I have also started to use these methods with my Apple products (Li-ion batteries) to extend battery life. It works!