EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Lagging / Glitchy Navigation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 01:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
EQS 450+
Lagging / Glitchy Navigation?

Hi all, I'm new to this thread. I have a 2022 EQS 450+ without the hyperscreen.

Occasionally, when using Nav or Apple Car play, the entire MBUX system is "laggy" or "glitches" where it only refreshes maybe every 1/2 a second instead of a continuous, smooth refresh. I cannot figure out why this is happening. Once it starts lagging on a trip, it does not smooth out ever, even if I disconnect my phone, or even if I turn off the system and turn it back on.

I've asked my local dealer--they seem pretty clueless as it is such a new car and say that it is not a reported issue that they know about.

My "workaround" is to start the car, wait until everything loads up, log-in, wait a few extra seconds for everything to properly load, and then start using it to navigate. My feeling is that I am asking the system to do too much at startup and therefore it lags and cannot catch up.

Has anybody else had this issue?

I also had an issue briefly with wireless charging, but that seems to have resolved itself.
The following users liked this post:
Haig33 (Yesterday)
Old 02-05-2022, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by addio06
Hi all, I'm new to this thread. I have a 2022 EQS 450+ without the hyperscreen. Occasionally, when using Nav or Apple Car play, the entire MBUX system is "laggy" or "glitches" where it only refreshes maybe every 1/2 a second instead of a continuous, smooth refresh. I cannot figure out why this is happening. Once it starts lagging on a trip, it does not smooth out ever, even if I disconnect my phone, or even if I turn off the system and turn it back on. I've asked my local dealer--they seem pretty clueless as it is such a new car and say that it is not a reported issue that they know about. My "workaround" is to start the car, wait until everything loads up, log-in, wait a few extra seconds for everything to properly load, and then start using it to navigate. My feeling is that I am asking the system to do too much at startup and therefore it lags and cannot catch up. Has anybody else had this issue? I also had an issue briefly with wireless charging, but that seems to have resolved itself.
The nav is cell based if the connection is not fast enough I would expect the system to lag.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:43 AM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by c4004matic
The nav is cell based if the connection is not fast enough I would expect the system to lag.
Thanks for the reply. Yes this happens the entire duration of the trip regardless of cell connection. It glitches and refreshes slow at the same rate on CarPlay and with Mercedes Nav.

When I turn off the car and restart it (by opening the door and closing it, even in the same location, the glitch often goes away. However, when I just delete the destination and reinput it without restarting the car, the glitch persists. It's almost like there isn't enough memory or something.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
2022 EQS 450+

Occasionally, when using Nav or Apple Car play, the entire MBUX system is "laggy" or "glitches" where it only refreshes maybe every 1/2 a second instead of a continuous, smooth refresh. I cannot figure out why this is happening. Once it starts lagging on a trip, it does not smooth out ever, even if I disconnect my phone, or even if I turn off the system and turn it back on.

I've asked my local dealer--they seem pretty clueless as it is such a new car and say that it is not a reported issue that they know about.

My "workaround" is to start the car, wait until everything loads up, log-in, wait a few extra seconds for everything to properly load, and then start using it to navigate. My feeling is that I am asking the system to do too much at startup and therefore it lags and cannot catch up.

I also had an issue briefly with wireless charging, but that seems to have resolved itself.
I have not experienced this yet on my non-hyperscreen 450+. I'll try to see if I can replicate the issue later.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:09 PM

Received 443 Likes on 277 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by njtransit215
I have not experienced this yet on my non-hyperscreen 450+. I'll try to see if I can replicate the issue later.
Nor have I. No problems whatsoever. Will remin vigilant.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS
Thanks for the reply. Yes this happens the entire duration of the trip regardless of cell connection. It glitches and refreshes slow at the same rate on CarPlay and with Mercedes Nav.

When I turn off the car and restart it (by opening the door and closing it, even in the same location, the glitch often goes away. However, when I just delete the destination and reinput it without restarting the car, the glitch persists. It's almost like there isn't enough memory or something.
I bought my EQS without hyperscreen a month ago and I also have the same problem. Have you made any progress about this issue?
Old 05-13-2022, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
My navi works like a charm. Maybe some update is in order for yours.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:32 AM

EQS 450+
I have not. I have tried multiple permutations regarding open phone apps etc.

I have noticed though that if it starts out very smooth, if you go into the settings and change sound settings, or ambient light settings, or any other setting in the MBUX system, you can make it glitchy.

If you hold your finger on the screen while it is being glitchy it seems to smooth out when your finger is touching the touchscreen but obviously that is not a sustainable solution.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
I have not. I have tried multiple permutations regarding open phone apps etc.

I have noticed though that if it starts out very smooth, if you go into the settings and change sound settings, or ambient light settings, or any other setting in the MBUX system, you can make it glitchy.

If you hold your finger on the screen while it is being glitchy it seems to smooth out when your finger is touching the touchscreen but obviously that is not a sustainable solution.
agreed
Old 10-27-2022, 03:18 AM

EQS 450+
Reviving this thread to see if anybody else has had this issue recently. It's maddening as sometimes it is glitchy and lags and sometimes it does not. I have found a workaround though; if it does this I will hold the power button until the system hard resets (OK to do this while driving) and then CarPlay and MBUX do not lag after MBUX restarts.

I was hoping it was my iPhone 13 Pro that was the problem but now that I have the iPhone 14 Pro the problem still persists.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:28 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 580
You may need a "head unit" update. The newest version is E316.505. Go to Settings, System, System Information. If you are in the E2xxx, you need the update. I found that the center screen was much faster after the update.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:59 PM

EQS 450+
Hi! Thanks for your reply. My MBUX system says no System Update needed. Is this an OTA update or did you have to go to your dealer to get it?

If at the dealer, did your dealer know about it and do it automatically or did you have to ask them to update it for you?
Old 10-27-2022, 01:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 580
This update must be done at your dealer. It takes about 3.5 hours. I had a different problem with MBUX ... It would not connect to the Mercedes Me servers. The Mercedes support center in Atlanta told me to get the update. I would suggest when you bring your EQS in for service to let the dealer know about the update. Some service advisors are not up-to-speed on the EQS. After the update, I noticed a big difference in the responsiveness of the CPU.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:03 PM

EQS 450+
Thank you for your reply and your thoroughness. Seems as if my dealer service advisor is not up to speed.

I specifically asked him to check with the technicians when I brought the car in for a charging issue earlier this month (Oct 2022) to make sure I am on the newest software and he told me I was. The SAM module and the AC module whatever that means was updated but I still had the same old Version number. Based on your post, today, I brought this up with my service advisor who told me there was some sort of miscommunication and that they could update me to the newest version (car has to be brought in as you say).

I am going to bring it into the dealer for them to update the software. I'll update everybody if it helps with the lag.

Fun being the first but also annoying AF to find these issues and not have a fix for months!
Old 10-28-2022, 02:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 MB EQS 580

I have not experienced that issue per se (2022 580+) but what I HAVE experienced is maddening and somewhat dangerous unpredictability of the MBUX NAV guidance/directions. I was driving through Jacksonville several weeks ago and it tried to have my do "laps" of a 4-way cloverleaf freeway interchange rather than simply exiting to the eastern route as should have been. Over the weekend in Miami it wanted me to exit 95 onto the 836, go to the first exit, turn around on the 836 and then re-join 95 in my original direction of travel. I decided to ignore that instruction and carried on, then it recalculated and all was better. The (potential) problem is, if you are in an unfamiliar location you could easily end up well off course.and then who knows what could happen. When making long trips now, I run WAZE (volume muted) in parallel with MBUX so that I can validate any sudden or unusual changes in guidance.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:44 PM

mercedes A250e
Reviving this thread to see if anybody else has had this issue recently. It's maddening as sometimes it is glitchy and lags and sometimes it does not. I have found a workaround though; if it does this I will hold the power button until the system hard resets (OK to do this while driving) and then CarPlay and MBUX do not lag after MBUX restarts.

I was hoping it was my iPhone 13 Pro that was the problem but now that I have the iPhone 14 Pro the problem still persists.
Yes I have this problem, bough the car 7th feb and 10th feb brought it back to the shop - it has been in at least 7 times now ( 2months on holiday) , I have just picked it up this afternoon and the carplay feature still lags and doesn't respond. - Today they told me they replaced the whole display system.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:15 PM

EQS 450+
It's finally fixed! My old software version was NTG7 E250.403 and it was upgraded by the dealer to E316.505 which now has solved all of my issues regarding the CarPlay lag issue. Per the dealer:

INTERNAL SOFTWARE ERROR IN MBUX
VERIFIED DELAY IN MAP MOVEMENT WHEN USING APPLE CAR
PLAY.CONNECTED SDS AND PERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND
STORED FAULTS IN MBUX INCLUDING; B21A100 An internal control unit
reset was performed. FOLLOWED GUIDED TEST AND DUE TO
CUSTOMER COMPLAINT WITH MBUX FUNCTIONALITY, UPDATE
MBUX CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE. VERIFIED NEW SOFTWARE
AVAILABLE, PERFORMED UPDATE. AFTER UPDATE CLEARED FAULT
MEMORY AND VERIFIED NO FAULTS RETURN AND APPLE CAR PLAY
IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.

I had asked my dealer to update my software a few weeks prior but he said there was a miscommunication and his tech had told him that I had the latest version, which was obviously incorrect. Push your dealer to give you the update if you have the same issues!
jlt1112 (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 05:26 PM

Received 260 Likes on 154 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
I'm beginning to be convinced, since I really have not experienced in my fairly early 450+ Premium Trim level (late Dec. '21 possession) VIN XXX3977, any of the variety of the problems brought up here is that it's because I didn't order a single system add-on other than the better air filter, and I have never used any of the installed systems other than Cruise Control, a trifle of navigation and "Hey, Mercedes! Phone -----"

I did experience under CruiseControl the sudden braking at certain curves, but with the help from this board, quickly ironed that out.

I can truthfully say I am completely satisfied with my car in every regard.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Newbyloub; 10-31-2022 at 05:31 PM.
bgrewal (11-01-2022)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
It's finally fixed! My old software version was NTG7 E250.403 and it was upgraded by the dealer to E316.505 which now has solved all of my issues regarding the CarPlay lag issue. Per the dealer:

INTERNAL SOFTWARE ERROR IN MBUX
VERIFIED DELAY IN MAP MOVEMENT WHEN USING APPLE CAR
PLAY.CONNECTED SDS AND PERFORMED SHORT TEST, FOUND
STORED FAULTS IN MBUX INCLUDING; B21A100 An internal control unit
reset was performed. FOLLOWED GUIDED TEST AND DUE TO
CUSTOMER COMPLAINT WITH MBUX FUNCTIONALITY, UPDATE
MBUX CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE. VERIFIED NEW SOFTWARE
AVAILABLE, PERFORMED UPDATE. AFTER UPDATE CLEARED FAULT
MEMORY AND VERIFIED NO FAULTS RETURN AND APPLE CAR PLAY
IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.

I had asked my dealer to update my software a few weeks prior but he said there was a miscommunication and his tech had told him that I had the latest version, which was obviously incorrect. Push your dealer to give you the update if you have the same issues!
My 2023 EQS580 SUV hyper screen did exactly that the other day. it was raining cats and dogs when I try to use the NAV to find an EA station to charge. it works fine getting there but, on the way home the NAV screen was lagging and glitchy. The red arrowhead switches back and forth to car icon, the screen zoomed in and out by itself. I thought it was because of all the moisture collected inside the cabin while waiting in the car for an hour to charge that caused this malfunction. And a few days prior to that my whole screen went blank. I tried everything and it still blank so while at a stop light i shut the car off and open the door and restart and the screen came back on. weird.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

Cls 450 s550
2019 CLS delayed response

My dashboard control system has delayed response when trying to connect apple carplay and blue tooth. The volume becomes un responsive, mouse action is delayed between settings. For example if I try to connect Bluetooth or carplay it tries to connect endlessly and never connects. If I try to stop the connection and switch back to the radio it doesn't switch. I have to cut off the power and restart the system. Then try and put it back on the radio which works but its delayed reaction be a minute or so. Even if I turn up the volume the volume gets louder a minute later. The dealership has reset my system updated it, and still the problem exists. If anyone else has experienced this and had it fixed please let me know the solution
​​​​​​​