EQS EQS (V297) sedan

License Plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 09:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2020AMG E63S Wagon, 2020 sprinter, 2022 EQS 450+
License Plates

I bought a new EQS 450+… I am in SC . The dealer transfered my plates from my tradein to the EQS. I have paid the dealer a large fee to reregister these plates to the car. SC law allows 45 days to continue to be legal on the transfered plates. I still do not have the proper registration. Wed will be day 44. I told dealer he has to give me dealer plates, a legal extension, if possible, all paperwork and fee refund so I can do it myself, or my tradein back (C8 he already sold) and a refund. What are my chances snd/or options? I will not drive it illegally? They are blaming it on DMV… but they are the registerer and I can not contact DMV only them. Thank in advance for advice.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I don't live in SC but in NM this is no big deal. The dealer just has to ask for an extension here and they print out a new temp registration. If that simple solution was not offered by the dealer then I would assume that things are different in SC. In the meantime just a receipt from the purchase along with your old registration should suffice for a cop if you get pulled over.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,666 Posts
2019 C63CS
I would think you should be able to contact the DMV directly and at least find out what their policy is in situations like this. The dealer is probably right that the DMV is sitting on it. DMVs have been experiencing delays nationwide due to the pandemic and the resulting closures. They likely have taken steps to not enforce certain laws during this time and allow for grace periods. Also, if this is a lease then you might wanna contact the bank as they are technically the owner. Title has to be issued as well. I don't know how it works in SC, but in some states the registration is sent to the lesser and then they forward it to the lessee. If you financed the car, then it's probably still worth contacting the bank, since they have an interest in receiving the title as collateral.