EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Charging Port Opens Randomly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 02:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS450+
Charging Port Opens Randomly

Has anyone experienced any issues with their charging port door?

When approaching my car in the garage, I've found that the charge port door is open. (The self presenting handles come out, but the charge port door is already open.).
At first, I thought I might not have been clicking in the door completely after a charging session, but this has happened 3x already. If it happens again, I'm going to take the vehicle back to the dealer to have it examined and/or repaired.

Any guidance from the forum would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:51 AM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
I believe in one of the sub menus, you can select the port to open based on a GPS position you have saved and named like "Home". Every time you are near that position the door will open. I have my car set to open the Park menu and show the camera view when I am near home.
The following 4 users liked this post by wings1969:
AppleFan1 (04-03-2022), Diesel Benz (04-03-2022), SaffsDad (04-03-2022), Soulman (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 08:59 AM

EQS450+
Originally Posted by wings1969
I believe in one of the sub menus, you can select the port to open based on a GPS position you have saved and named like "Home". Every time you are near that position the door will open. I have my car set to open the Park menu and show the camera view when I am near home.
Thank you! I’ll check this setting later today.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:30 PM

EQS450+
So, I wasn't able to find a setting that automatically opens the port when you're at a certain location.

My car has now done this several times. I'm going to make an appt to take it to the dealership for diagnosis/repair.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share them. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found that setting but mine wasn't even on. I'm having the same problem. I thought it was my son at first. But today I left it in the driveway and I KNOW it was closed because I have been paying way too much attention to it. It's like the car is having a mental breakdown.

- the Charge Cap Open warning comes on ALL the time and it is not open.
- Charge cap opens itself... seems only when car is off
- Low tire warning comes on all the time but PSI is in range (also will display +/-3 PSI within like 5 minutes)
- Got a warning that Starter Battery is Critical
- Door handles don't always come out
- Car will randomly unlock itself while I'm in the store
- Car randomly won't be recognized at charging stations
- Also it will go nuts like I'm about to hit something right in the middle of the hood, but nothing is there.
- The low beam lights have a big dark spot on the driver side that kind of catches your eye as you drive at night

Super Buyer's Remorse with this car and only 3k miles.

Last edited by johndavid; 08-29-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
John David, What does the dealership say about your list of problems?
Old 08-29-2022, 06:22 PM

I got it is San Antonio and I'm in Austin, so I can't really take it there much. Also, on many of the problems, they said "it is functioning properly".... which means there is no solution. I took it there for the door handles not coming out, the doors unlocking themselves, and for the dark spot in the light. They ofc couldn't recreate anything except the low beam dark spot. Honestly that dealership is a bit of a nightmare themselves. I was hoping to find some answers here because I think the dealerships are as lost as us. I'm definitely driving a beta car.

P.S. most of the other problems just started in the last week or two. I wonder if there was a software update.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by johndavid
I got it is San Antonio and I'm in Austin, so I can't really take it there much. Also, on many of the problems, they said "it is functioning properly".... which means there is no solution. I took it there for the door handles not coming out, the doors unlocking themselves, and for the dark spot in the light. They ofc couldn't recreate anything except the low beam dark spot. Honestly that dealership is a bit of a nightmare themselves. I was hoping to find some answers here because I think the dealerships are as lost as us. I'm definitely driving a beta car.

P.S. most of the other problems just started in the last week or two. I wonder if there was a software update.
When do the door handle not come out?
They will not come out if the key has gone in to sleep mode. They will not automatically come out as you approach the car and they will not come out if you touch the handle with the fob in sleep mode.
If your key has been Idle for too long they will enter sleep mode. If you double press the lock button it will also enter sleep mode.
Have the handles ever failed to come out after you pressed the unlock button on the key fob?
Old 08-29-2022, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Not telling you what to do but I personally would take the list to the service manager and express my concern of all the problems. I have learned that being confident in my stance but not aggressive has always led to better service. These problems need to be recorded by MB not only to help them solve the problems but so you have a written record for future use.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:34 PM

Possibly the key fob is in sleep mode with the handles. I was told at the dealership that moving the keys wakes them. I wouldnt doubt if that were not accurate. Yeah i am definitely gonna have to make a drive to SA. Im at Electrify America now and go ahead and add to the list that my car is no longer being recognized and i had to call EA and give them my VIN so they could remotely start the charge. Thanks guys... gonna take this 30 mins to research lemon laws in Texas......
Old 08-30-2022, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Moving the keys will take them out of standby mode. Once they are in sleep mode only a button press will wake them.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 727 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by johndavid
Possibly the key fob is in sleep mode with the handles. I was told at the dealership that moving the keys wakes them. I wouldnt doubt if that were not accurate. Yeah i am definitely gonna have to make a drive to SA. Im at Electrify America now and go ahead and add to the list that my car is no longer being recognized and i had to call EA and give them my VIN so they could remotely start the charge. Thanks guys... gonna take this 30 mins to research lemon laws in Texas......
This is true. I think the door handles also go on standby. In the morning it takes 2 "passes" or a long touch to open. I always keep the key in the car (in the garage)