Diving into the settings.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 727 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Diving into the settings.....

One pedal driving: Tesla owners go into a frenzy about this particular thing🙄...... YES, the EQS has 100% one pedal driving, however, there is a problem.... I HATE IT. I dont like it going forward and I absolutely hate it in reverse, its like if the parking brake were engaged
One the other hand, I love the lane departure system! Something that I previously loathed! Since it is now fully adjustable there are no constant vibrations and warnings. In the least sensitive setting it simply serves as a guardrail, the second you are virtually on the line it simply nudges the car into the lane almost imperceptively! WELL DONE!
Old 05-09-2022, 01:48 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
That's interesting. I, OTOH, love it. I use it all the time in traffic, but not when the traffic clears. That's why we have all the options. To each, his/her own.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
That's interesting. I, OTOH, love it. I use it all the time in traffic, but not when the traffic clears. That's why we have all the options. To each, his/her own.
I live in an area with essentially no traffic, ever. Other than that, its highway, again with very little traffic. Given that, yhe golf cart style of power delivery is very annoying for me. Maybe if I lived in a congested area I would appreciate it more. The first time I put in reverse I thought something was broken since on any other car you control reverse with the brake not a power restricted accelerator.(creep mode off)
Old 05-09-2022, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 504 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I live in an area with essentially no traffic, ever. Other than that, its highway, again with very little traffic. Given that, yhe golf cart style of power delivery is very annoying for me. Maybe if I lived in a congested area I would appreciate it more. The first time I put in reverse I thought something was broken since on any other car you control reverse with the brake not a power restricted accelerator.(creep mode off)
If you have no traffic, then Auto mode is also useless to you. Just use no regen or standard.

Where I live, I tend to toggle between Strong Regen and Auto.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
If you have no traffic, then Auto mode is also useless to you. Just use no regen or standard.

Where I live, I tend to toggle between Strong Regen and Auto.
I agree. Normal seems fine for my particular situation too. Do you have creep on or off?
Another Kudos to MB for allowing changing modes with the paddles, very slick indeed.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:55 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
I agree. Normal seems fine for my particular situation too. Do you have creep on or off?
Another Kudos to MB for allowing changing modes with the paddles, very slick indeed.
Yep, when I see traffic stopped ahead, I just pull the left paddle and kick back. As soon as it clears, I pull the right paddle and unleash the hounds. I always leave creep mode on, so I do have to use the brakes if traffic actually stops.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
Yep, when I see traffic stopped ahead, I just pull the left paddle and kick back. As soon as it clears, I pull the right paddle and unleash the hounds. I always leave creep mode on, so I do have to use the brakes if traffic actually stops.
Not to mention that you can always activate the brake hold funtion by nudging the brake, one of my favorite MB features.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:33 AM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
One pedal driving: Tesla owners go into a frenzy about this particular thing🙄...... YES, the EQS has 100% one pedal driving, however, there is a problem.... I HATE IT.
Are you saying the EQS OPD is different from Tesla's. In other words, did you like the OPD in the Tesla and now HATE it in the EQS?
Old 05-10-2022, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by SilberGrau57
Are you saying the EQS OPD is different from Tesla's. In other words, did you like the OPD in the Tesla and now HATE it in the EQS?
Noooooooo! I hate one pedal driving. For many Tesla owners it seems that one pedal driving is a must have and many reviews wrongly say that the EQS doesnt have it. It does. Mercedes wisely considered old guys like me and gave the car "creep" mode. At slow speed the car wont instantly stop it will move like a gas car would. Full regen is not necesarily bad in fact its kind if a downshift mechanism if you want it, however in reverse its absolutely horrible for me since you see to be driving with the gas and the brake at the same time. The EQS selectable regen modes are a stroke of genious. Its all about choices.
The following users liked this post:
SilberGrau57 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS 450
Noooooooo! I hate one pedal driving. For many Tesla owners it seems that one pedal driving is a must have and many reviews wrongly say that the EQS doesnt have it. It does. Mercedes wisely considered old guys like me and gave the car "creep" mode. At slow speed the car wont instantly stop it will move like a gas car would. Full regen is not necesarily bad in fact its kind if a downshift mechanism if you want it, however in reverse its absolutely horrible for me since you see to be driving with the gas and the brake at the same time. The EQS selectable regen modes are a stroke of genious. Its all about choices.
Strong Regen should automatically turn off when in reverse. I would also like creep mode deactivated/activated with the paddles, maybe a fast double click.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by DaleW
Strong Regen should automatically turn off when in reverse. I would also like creep mode deactivated/activated with the paddles, maybe a fast double click.
Again this my personal preference. Not trying to diss anyone who loves full regen.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 504 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
i have creep off. I don’t like creep. I spent my first 15 years of driving with manual transmissions, and then I moved to BMW M Cars with DCTs which also don’t have creep. I can drive with creep but I prefer fully manual throttle control. I have a very well calibrated right foot!
The following users liked this post:
SilberGrau57 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
i have creep off. I don’t like creep. I spent my first 15 years of driving with manual transmissions, and then I moved to BMW M Cars with DCTs which also don’t have creep. I can drive with creep but I prefer fully manual throttle control. I have a very well calibrated right foot!
My issue with it non creep in reverse is that the accelerator becomes non linear since it limits engine output. Gain, to me, it feels like Im driving with the parking brake on. Its just disconcerting. I like normal the best since it mimics a regualar automatic transmisson remarkably well. On clear highways or if driving with gusto no regen is my preffered setting. Rangewise, at highway speeds, coasting is more efficient than regen. As others have noted on their reviews, this car coasts so well it seems that its magnetically levitated. A result of its beautiful aerodynamic shape, super slick bearings and low roll resistance summer tires. One question I have, how do you make a supergrippy low roll resistant tires? Those 2 things are ussually considered opposites!
Old 05-11-2022, 06:20 AM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
Its all about choices.
Yes. My only experience driving a BEV so far was at a Tesla test drive event. I drove the Model S and before we took off, the Tesla Rep went through how to switch between one pedal drive and normal drive on the control screen, but didn't really explain what it was going to feel like. Then they left it in one pedal drive and we took off. I was so startled when I lifted off the accelerator the first time that I immediately switched to normal drive for the remainder of the test. I'm not saying I couldn't get used to it, because I've since talked to current Tesla owners who love it, but it was such a jarring experience, it left me not a fan.