EQS EQS (V297) sedan

No A/C at a really bad time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 06:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 450+
No A/C at a really bad time

Wondering if I am the only one the angels completely abandoned on a 100 degree day during my 6 hour drive? Parked EQS 450+ at 6:30pm on Thursday night after a 6 hour drive in really hot weather, but A/C worked like a champ. Plugged in to a 110v outlet overnight. Left Friday morning at 8:30 a.m. and plenty of blowing air...but nowhere near cooled. Two hours into the sweltering drive, the MB dealer in Wilmington, NC took a look and ran all of the computer checks he could, but nothing would bring the cold air back. I had forgotten how miserable it was to drive with all the windows down at 70mph and no A/C. Cary NC dealer has a Monday appointment for me, so perhaps I will get good news.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
EQS 450+
Not sure this is helpful, but did anyone try turning off the "auto" then turning it back on. Ours seems to get stuck sometime.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:35 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
Oh man, Cary brings back bad memories for me

I agree about the driving 70 sentiment! That sounds terrible!

Good luck to you and enjoy!

(check out CW Performance in Apex )
Old 06-18-2022, 07:17 AM

EQS 450+
Old Dawg: wife tried every "button" known to man during that 6 hours Nothing made a difference.
hyperion667: sorry for your bad memories! You are right about CW Performance - absolute best for ICE MB's! Don't know about their EQS knowledge yet.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 08:01 AM

EQS 450+
UPDATE: The tech rolled the car into the shop at 10:30 a.m. and I was notified at 6:00 p.m. that car would not be ready today. Must not be a simple fix And just to add some fun to my day I received a Collision Alert - Rear Left (Slight Impact) alert at 5:26 p.m.! I have asked for a photo of that to be sent to me IMMEDIATELY this morning!
Old 06-21-2022, 12:03 PM

EQS 450+
LATER UPDATE: Bad news! The defective part is not available and there is no estimated availability date! Dealer has offered two options:
1) Drive the car without A/C until the part is available
2) Drive the ICE GLC 300 (at my expense) and leave my EQS at the dealership

This is with the hottest months upon us, so no A/C driving is not an option for me. The car was a CASH buy. I have owned the car for 110 days and driven it 5000 miles. No kids and garaged every night. The dealer has a used EQS 580 with 2,700 miles in his used car inventory. Premium gasoline prices at $5+ in my area.

Curious what my good friends would do in this situation.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I think it is ridiculous that they want to charge you for a loaner car while your car is out of service. I can't imagine my dealer in Atlanta would do that. My dealer has been very generous with loaner cars, even when waiting for more trivial things.

I think I would do the following in your shoes:
1) Call Mercedes Benz customer service and ask them to (1) Get you a free loaner car of a comparable class; (2) Tell you when the part will be delivered to your dealer. I would remind them that if the issue isn't resolved within 30 days your car will become eligible for a lemon law buyback.
2) I would start the lemon process if (1) continues to yield no date or a date greater than 30 days. Obviously you cannot complete the lemon claim till after 30 days but you can make sure the clock is ticking by leaving your car at the dealership for the repair
3) You can contact the GM of the dealership informing them of 1 and 2, and then suggesting that they do a trade-assist to get you into the 580 at a fair price (maybe you only pay the difference between list prices which would be a good deal for you since the 580 is worth more than MSRP and your car is worth less than MSRP).
Old 06-21-2022, 01:10 PM

EQS 450+
Stealth...thanks for those thoughts. Let me clarify the "at my expense" comment in my post. While there is no charge for the loaner itself, I have to pay for the gas I use (which of course I would not have to pay in my EQS). I would consider a "gas allowance" a fair part of the solution.

I have contacted the GM to let him know that we need to have a word of prayer to reach a fair - both ways - solution.

There are several comparable 450's within NC dealerships. The used 580 is at the Cary MB dealer and I would not purchase that under any circumstances. Use of that while awaiting the repair is getting me into a comparable electric vehicle.

stay tuned
Old 06-21-2022, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I think it is ridiculous that they want to charge you for a loaner car while your car is out of service. I can't imagine my dealer in Atlanta would do that. My dealer has been very generous with loaner cars, even when waiting for more trivial things.

I think I would do the following in your shoes:
1) Call Mercedes Benz customer service and ask them to (1) Get you a free loaner car of a comparable class; (2) Tell you when the part will be delivered to your dealer. I would remind them that if the issue isn't resolved within 30 days your car will become eligible for a lemon law buyback.
2) I would start the lemon process if (1) continues to yield no date or a date greater than 30 days. Obviously you cannot complete the lemon claim till after 30 days but you can make sure the clock is ticking by leaving your car at the dealership for the repair
3) You can contact the GM of the dealership informing them of 1 and 2, and then suggesting that they do a trade-assist to get you into the 580 at a fair price (maybe you only pay the difference between list prices which would be a good deal for you since the 580 is worth more than MSRP and your car is worth less than MSRP).
I have no better solution than yours for the OP. However, I want to share a recent experience with my dealer. We had to totally redo our driveway and garage floor. My wife and I did not want to leave our cars (hers is a 2021 Lexus RX hybrid) out on the street for a week. I asked the dealer if we could park the cars inside their facility. With no questions asked they said “of course”. Not only that but they gave us a free loaner until the work was finished. They showed off my EQS580 in their showroom while being locked.

One more thing. A few days after I took possession of the car I did a very stupid thing while slowly driving near a roundabout. I was trying to mess around with some of the tech and was not paying enough attention to the road. I hit the curb and the front passenger wheel perimeter suffered some curb rash. My dealer repaired that free of charge during the week they had the car. I’m very lucky to have such an incredible dealer.
The following users liked this post:
dblankenbaker (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by nctalkinghead
Stealth...thanks for those thoughts. Let me clarify the "at my expense" comment in my post. While there is no charge for the loaner itself, I have to pay for the gas I use (which of course I would not have to pay in my EQS). I would consider a "gas allowance" a fair part of the solution.

I have contacted the GM to let him know that we need to have a word of prayer to reach a fair - both ways - solution.

There are several comparable 450's within NC dealerships. The used 580 is at the Cary MB dealer and I would not purchase that under any circumstances. Use of that while awaiting the repair is getting me into a comparable electric vehicle.

stay tuned
Makes sense. Personally I would not sweat the gas cost - I'd focus the energy on getting the other things resolved.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
aypues (07-02-2022), stewartmmorris (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 04:11 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Just curious what the collision notification turned out to be?

Yeah, if they're giving you a loaner......pay for the gas and drive the ^%$# out of that thing and return it with an empty windshield washer reservoir
Old 06-21-2022, 04:21 PM

EQS 450+
Collision alert apparently is generated when the car is on the lift. When the wheels leave the ground it thinks "collision." The GM said several of buddies have called him when their cars were in for service and they got the same alert. As for the gas, I spent all of my money on an electric car and don't have any gas money left in the kitty I have driven the car 5000 miles and that's 200 gallons of gas. If MB does not have the part for a couple of months...see where this is going? A week or two is no problem on gas costs...a month or two is a different story.

The GM at the Cary dealership is working through "the process" - as he calls it. I also am working through "the process."
Old 06-22-2022, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Collision alert apparently is generated when the car is on the lift. When the wheels leave the ground it thinks "collision." The GM said several of buddies have called him when their cars were in for service and they got the same alert. As for the gas, I spent all of my money on an electric car and don't have any gas money left in the kitty I have driven the car 5000 miles and that's 200 gallons of gas. If MB does not have the part for a couple of months...see where this is going? A week or two is no problem on gas costs...a month or two is a different story.

The GM at the Cary dealership is working through "the process" - as he calls it. I also am working through "the process."
Let us know.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:46 PM

EQS 450+
FINAL UPDATE:
Back on the road again in cool comfort! The MB of Cary, NC GM (Neil Chance) grabbed the ball and started rolling on day 2. Meanwhile, I sent two emails to MB, USA Customer Assistance. On day 5 I sent a certified letter to the VP of Customer Service at MB, USA. Also on day 5 the GM called to let me know the part issue was resolved and the part would arrive on day 6. Apparently the defective part comes in a "kit." My EQS 450+ did not need the additional stuff in the kit and the service department was requesting only the bad part! The GM told them to order the kit and get the car fixed!

My two emails to MB,USA resulted in a call on day 5 from one of their Executive Assistance staff. Very nice gentleman (Darrell) who talked with the service manager in Cary on day 6. Darrell called me again on day 6 to say that the part had arrived, the car was being worked on, and should be ready for me within 2 days! Darrell called me again on day 7 to say that the work was completed - and the dealership called to say the same while I was talking to Darrell

Picked the car up this morning - day 8 - and happy to say I will not need lawyers or other assistance or a buyback negotiation or a replacement car. Basically, my lemon ended up making lemonade.

As for the defective part: Refrigerant pressure sensor B161/3 has a malfunction and causes A/C compressor to shutoff.
The following 4 users liked this post by nctalkinghead:
AppleFan1 (06-28-2022), c4004matic (06-28-2022), Diesel Benz (06-28-2022), js_cls (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Thank for the update. Glad it was resolved successfully.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:28 PM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2020 E53 CABRIOLET 2021 S580 (TRADED), 2023 EQS580 SEDAN SEDAN
LATER UPDATE: Bad news! The defective part is not available and there is no estimated availability date! Dealer has offered two options:

This is with the hottest months upon us, so no A/C driving is not an option for me. The car was a CASH buy. I have owned the car for 110 days and driven it 5000 miles. No kids and garaged every night. The dealer has a used EQS 580 with 2,700 miles in his used car inventory. Premium gasoline prices at $5+ in my area.

Wow, your dealer doesn't offer loaners? Even if I go in for an oil change on my S Class I'm offered two options, wait or drive their loaner free of charge. Of course, if I put on a lot of miles need to put some gas in it.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by ALANPRIEBE
Wow, your dealer doesn't offer loaners? Even if I go in for an oil change on my S Class I'm offered two options, wait or drive their loaner free of charge. Of course, if I put on a lot of miles need to put some gas in it.
Ya that's pretty crazy no loaned was offered, especially for a warranty fix on Mercedes flagship sedan.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by link2377
Ya that's pretty crazy no loaned was offered, especially for a warranty fix on Mercedes flagship sedan.
The dealer I bought from is charging MSRP and almost blue book on my trade, the other dealer is charging MSRP (PLUS $30,000.00 OVER MSRP). I hope when all this settles down people remember the greedy and not caring about their customer feelings or pocket books and no one buys from them again. When I called the greedy dealer in town it was like common practice to charge that ridiculous amount over MSRP like nothing was wrong? If the manufacturer sets a fair price and a dealer jacks it way up, it's nothing but greed.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by ALANPRIEBE
OP clarified the dealer gave him a GLC loaner, the at his expense was purely for gas.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by js_cls
OP clarified the dealer gave him a GLC loaner, the at his expense was purely for gas.
Thanks, nothing wrong with that!
Old 07-03-2022, 11:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
EQS

Buys a $100k+ car and worries about gas in a loaner when getting a loaner is rare these days.... C'mon man, stop being a Karen. The situation sucks and I hope they get it fixed but you really want a gas card from the dealer?
Old 07-04-2022, 09:07 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by thebigkat82
Buys a $100k+ car and worries about gas in a loaner when getting a loaner is rare these days.... C'mon man, stop being a Karen. The situation sucks and I hope they get it fixed but you really want a gas card from the dealer?
Who the fawk is this noob??

Old 07-04-2022, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Who the fawk is this noob??

This video was probably fun as Bob Barker and Adam Sandler are very good friends! It was fun for me. The dealer seems more than fair with the loaner policy but I can see the owners viewpoint. His new car is broke, it will be at the dealer for awhile, is offered a loaner but needs to fill the tank when returned. Remember Mercedes offers with the EQS free charges for two years, with that being said maybe he should get free gas with the free loaner? I myself would not complain but I see where he is coming from.