EQS EQS (V297) sedan

USA Charging network

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 03:03 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
USA Charging network

Are there other networks in the United States with L3 chargers besides Electrify America that are available to owners of EQS'? If so can you add them to the list that the shows "nearby charging stations" on the car display or would you have to use an app on your phone?

Has anyone taken a long road trip and found there is no next L3 charger in range? After my registration is processed I plan to drive from Las Vegas to Vancouver and I see long patches of unpopulated areas.

Any advise for what to look for (other networks) or apps to help me plan a long trip?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2022, 03:10 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
If you have not seen EVGo and ABRP (A Better Route Planner) apps, you should consider downloading them. They often show out of network charging stations which you will not see on the ChargePoint app or perhaps even the Electrify America app. That's about as good as you can do. Soon, hopefully, the deal with Elon Musk will happen and (using a Telsatap adapter initially until they convert to CCS) we will be able to access his Supercharger Stations for a fee. It's getting better all the time.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:19 PM

S580
Originally Posted by hlothery
If you have not seen EVGo and ABRP (A Better Route Planner) apps, you should consider downloading them. They often show out of network charging stations which you will not see on the ChargePoint app or perhaps even the Electrify America app. That's about as good as you can do. Soon, hopefully, the deal with Elon Musk will happen and (using a Telsatap adapter initially until they convert to CCS) we will be able to access his Supercharger Stations for a fee. It's getting better all the time.
I was just going to quote the pertinent part of your reply, but it is all helpful! Thanks you. I will look into those apps and look at Chargepoint's network. My Chargepoint L2 home charger is supposed to arrive tomorrow and installed Friday. Maybe their network will be a good backup.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:06 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
I was just going to quote the pertinent part of your reply, but it is all helpful! Thanks you. I will look into those apps and look at Chargepoint's network. My Chargepoint L2 home charger is supposed to arrive tomorrow and installed Friday. Maybe their network will be a good backup.
I use all four apps, and you can also add out of network chargers to the map in your car if you go in and explore the MBUS software....it usually defaults to just show ChargePoint stations. I have added the others (forgot how I actually did it), it was just a matter of finding the prompt in MBUS and turning on all stations, so my map in the car now shows others besides ChargePoint. I believe it was in the Navi section, and there is a prompt like points of interest, which turns on out of network (i.e.ChargePoint) chargers to the map. If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll go back in and find what I did.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:23 PM

S580
@hlothery if your were making a trip more then 750 mile would you charge to 100%, or still to the recommended 80% and expect to see a charging station when you need it?
Old 07-26-2022, 05:01 PM

S580
If you have not seen EVGo and ABRP (A Better Route Planner)
I will look more at EVGo, but it got low reviews and not sure if it is any better then using my phone's web browser, BUT, ABRP is awesome! Works on the web on my home computer where I can relax and study the routes, charging stations and charge times too. Their app seems also great. I am a techy from the 80's and 90's, but not so much this century. I wonder if the ABRB app will display it's info on Android Auto? I use Google Maps and my music player, PowerAmp with Android Auto but I don't know which apps work or qualify to work with it. Anyway, thanks for the tip as this answers my needs for a long road trip.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
@hlothery if your were making a trip more then 750 mile would you charge to 100%, or still to the recommended 80% and expect to see a charging station when you need it?
I would initially charge to 100% the night before the trip. Then, if I was staying overnight someplace, i would try to schedule hotel reservations at places which have destination chargers for hotel guests, and charge to 80% there. And repeat the process on the return trip. The apps mentioned, and the car Navi itself, can help you plan stops near a charger, and fast DC chargers are available which can charge you back to 80% in 30 minutes or so along the way on most routes, if you prefer. Many Electrify America chargers are located adjacent to Walmart Supercenters, and they have DC fast chargers which charge at rates of up to 150kW, so about 30 minutes back to 80%. Explore the ABRP app.
The following users liked this post:
Old Rocker (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
My pertinent question is this: Are these out of network charging stations free for 30 minutes of charging just like EA or does “out of network” automatically imply that you do not get free 30 minute charging?
Old 07-26-2022, 08:14 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
My pertinent question is this: Are these out of network charging stations free for 30 minutes of charging just like EA or does “out of network” automatically imply that you do not get free 30 minute charging?
The answer is....maybe. While not shown on the MBUS Navi map until the out of network stations are activated, I believe EA stations are covered for 30 minutes. However, when one is traveling and needing a charge, would you really pass up an available fast charger which is not free? After all, my home charger is not free. It's costing me about $40 a month, which is about 1/2 tank of gas in my wife's ICE SUV. Sometimes you've just got to pay for play.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
The answer is....maybe. While not shown on the MBUS Navi map until the out of network stations are activated, I believe EA stations are covered for 30 minutes. However, when one is traveling and needing a charge, would you really pass up an available fast charger which is not free? After all, my home charger is not free. It's costing me about $40 a month, which is about 1/2 tank of gas in my wife's ICE SUV. Sometimes you've just got to pay for play.
I was just curious that’s all. Of course I would pay to charge if I had to.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:08 PM

S580
my home charger is not free. It's costing me about $40 a month,
I have solar panels that cover all of my home electricity plus about 25 to 35% more. I am guessing (hoping) that the extra production will cover the car's charging too.