Originally Posted by Newbyloub
“Biannually” or “semi-annually?”
Thank you for the correction
Old 12-26-2022, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Radman991
I plan to keep my EQS in SE Florida so I got summer tires. Did I make a mistake?
No.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:52 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
If you think the EQS in incapable of performance maneuvers, you are mistaken. It is similarly capable to many other "performance" cars equipped with Summer tires, such as my BMW M550. It corners well, and has great acceleration. It is a luxury car which performs very well. My Summer tires do quite well in Winter, although I would not want to test the limits of traction in cold weather. But I have NEVER had a problem with them in normal driving situations, wet or dry surfaces. My wife's AMG GLE53 has Michelin PS4S, and recently handled very well in the DFW area, there and back, in temps well below freezing. Except for pushing the limits and driving in snow and ice, Summer tires are fine in cold weather for normal driving. This statement is based on years of experience on all my cars, all with nothing but Summer tires. So, no reason to be paranoid about Summer tires, if you live in the South, even during cold snaps. Now, if I lived up North........different story.

Last edited by hlothery; 12-27-2022 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (01-01-2023)
Old 12-27-2022, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 728 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Summer tires work just fine at lower temps, mostly. However they are absolutely useless in snow, nevermind, ice. Its to be expected they are not sipped they use solid tread blocks thus they are incapable to grab snow. They also get hard below freezing which is bad for treadlife and sidewall integity. I believe the PS 4S is using a newer compound which is less affected by cold which also allows it to last about 30% more than other summer tires, however its tread is totally useless in snow.
MBNUT1 (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 730 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by hlothery
If you think the EQS in incapable of performance maneuvers, you are mistaken. It is similarly capable to many other "performance" cars equipped with Summer tires, such as my BMW M550. It corners well, and has great acceleration. It is a luxury car which performs very well. My Summer tires do quite well in Winter, although I would not want to test the limits of traction in cold weather. But I have NEVER had a problem with them in normal driving situations, wet or dry surfaces. My wife's AMG GLE53 has Michelin PS4S, and recently handled very well in the DFW area, there and back, in temps well below freezing. Except for pushing the limits and driving in snow and ice, Summer tires are fine in cold weather for normal driving. This statement is based on years of experience on all my cars, all with nothing but Summer tires. So, no reason to be paranoid about Summer tires, if you live in the South, even during cold snaps. Now, if I lived up North........different story.
From Tire Rack
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

CAN I DRIVE SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN COLD TEMPERATURES?

(Lea en español)Can you? Or, should you? The simple answer is — no you shouldn't. Summer performance tires are simply not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures. Here's a quick explanation of why.

Summer performance tires feature tread rubber compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot temperatures only. As temperatures drop into the 40s, a summer performance tire's tread compound changes from a pliable elastic to an inflexible plastic, drastically reducing traction capabilities. The tire industry calls this process the "glass transition." And, without traction, your vehicle will have a hard time staying on the road!

In fact, should summer performance tires even be exposed to near- or below-freezing temperatures, tread compound cracking or tread block chipping can occur. Once a tire has been damaged in this way, it will need to be replaced. And, as both types of damage only occur as the result of improper use or storage, they will not typically be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

So, to recap — don't drive summer tires in the cold! Save yourself the headache of an accident or damaged tires, and transition to All-Season or dedicated Winter tires in the Fall - before cold weather hits.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-28-2022 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
FartNoccio (01-25-2023), SaffsDad (01-01-2023)
Old 12-28-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
2022 EQS 450+ Pinnacle
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
From Tire Rack

(Lea en español)Can you? Or, should you? The simple answer is — no you shouldn't. Summer performance tires are simply not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures. Here's a quick explanation of why.

Summer performance tires feature tread rubber compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot temperatures only. As temperatures drop into the 40s, a summer performance tire's tread compound changes from a pliable elastic to an inflexible plastic, drastically reducing traction capabilities. The tire industry calls this process the "glass transition." And, without traction, your vehicle will have a hard time staying on the road!

In fact, should summer performance tires even be exposed to near- or below-freezing temperatures, tread compound cracking or tread block chipping can occur. Once a tire has been damaged in this way, it will need to be replaced. And, as both types of damage only occur as the result of improper use or storage, they will not typically be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

So, to recap — don't drive summer tires in the cold! Save yourself the headache of an accident or damaged tires, and transition to All-Season or dedicated Winter tires in the Fall - before cold weather hits.
Interesting! I have had various vehicles over the years and some have had Summer performance rubber and I never experienced the tread chipping listed, but that makes sense. I have the Summer rubber now and have been thinking of transitioning to all-seasons. Maybe that will be my move once it is time to replace even though I live in the warmer South. What are folks using as the preferred all-season tire for our beloved EQS line?
Old 12-28-2022, 03:40 PM

EQS 450+
From Tire Rack
don't drive summer tires in the cold! Save yourself the headache of an accident or damaged tires, and transition to All-Season or dedicated Winter tires in the Fall - before cold weather hits.
We can debate this all day. But, again, unless you are performance driving (which would be really stupid in freezing temps anyway), your Summer tires in Southern states will be fine. In 30 years of driving on Summer tires year round, sometimes with temps in the teens, I have never had a traction problem, and have never seen or heard of a damaged tire (that sounds like lawyers talking to me). No one here changes tires in the Winter. But, we also don't drive on snow or ice, where Summer tires would clearly not work (nothing works on ice, BTW). Different story if you live where it snows.....obviously. But i was originally addressing folks in Georgia and Florida, where that doesn't normally happen. Anyway, my final word.....ya'll do what you want. And, have a Happy New Year.
pmichaelmd (12-29-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 728 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
We can debate this all day. But, again, unless you are performance driving (which would be really stupid in freezing temps anyway), your Summer tires in Southern states will be fine. In 30 years of driving on Summer tires year round, sometimes with temps in the teens, I have never had a traction problem, and have never seen or heard of a damaged tire (that sounds like lawyers talking to me). No one here changes tires in the Winter. But, we also don't drive on snow or ice, where Summer tires would clearly not work (nothing works on ice, BTW). Different story if you live where it snows.....obviously. But i was originally addressing folks in Georgia and Florida, where that doesn't normally happen. Anyway, my final word.....ya'll do what you want. And, have a Happy New Year. 
I agree. As long as you dont use them in snow
Old 12-28-2022, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 804 Likes on 636 Posts
Snow? What's that?
hlothery (12-28-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 08:49 PM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
Why they would equip an EQS with summer tires is beyond me.
Summer tires have better performance and are less noisy. Downside is you have to change to winter tires if living in a cold climate. I have a second set of winter tires and wheels, swap them as soon as weather changes.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Changing tires here in S.E. Texas would be a huge hassle. It was 15F here last week and tomorrow it is supposed to be 80F.
hlothery (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 804 Likes on 636 Posts
I don't leave home if the temperature is below 60°F. It's summer tires year 'round for me.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:34 AM

Received 260 Likes on 154 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
Changing tires here in S.E. Texas would be a huge hassle. It was 15F here last week and tomorrow it is supposed to be 80F.
Same for me in NE Ky.

Here it was -7, 4 days later 62.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
535i
If you drive in cold areas with snow and ice , do yourself a favor and get a proper all wheel drive vehicle. Or you can purchase the wrong car for these conditions and then complain it didn’t work properly.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:39 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by 580selblack
If you drive in cold areas with snow and ice , do yourself a favor and get a proper all wheel drive vehicle. Or you can purchase the wrong car for these conditions and then complain it didn’t work properly.
As a junior member here, your glib comment simply shows your situational ignorance.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:10 PM

Received 159 Likes on 119 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
This comes from Michelin and NHTSA:
https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...r-TTW-2018.pdf

NHTSA service bulletin from GM as the tire cracks happened during even transportation of cars, "Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking":
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82862-5448.pdf

From Tire Rack

The TRUTH About Winter, All Season and Summer Tires ❄ Tested at 0C=32F, 2C=35.6F, 6C=42.8F, 10C=50F, 15C=59F:

The following 4 users liked this post by Serhan:
dangitty (01-01-2023), QuadBenz (01-01-2023), RoyalZelda (01-02-2023), ScottC2 (11-18-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 02:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
2022 EQS 450+ Pinnacle
Very interesting video. I truly never gave this as much thought as I am now, living in what is usually the warm South. We do get sub-freezing temps seasonally and I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires on my previous Karma Revero GT, driven in the evening and freezing weather without tire damage.
My EQS has the F1 21" Summer tires and I was thinking of switching to all-seasons but will likely just sit on the Summer rubber. I will, however, check for cracking and tire disruption where I haven't before as I do commute in the wee hours back and forth to work and don't want to end up stranded or in a ditch!

Great content, fellows.
Old 01-01-2023, 03:47 PM

Received 159 Likes on 119 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Originally Posted by pmichaelmd
Very interesting video. I truly never gave this as much thought as I am now, living in what is usually the warm South. We do get sub-freezing temps seasonally and I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires on my previous Karma Revero GT, driven in the evening and freezing weather without tire damage.
My EQS has the F1 21" Summer tires and I was thinking of switching to all-seasons but will likely just sit on the Summer rubber. I will, however, check for cracking and tire disruption where I haven't before as I do commute in the wee hours back and forth to work and don't want to end up stranded or in a ditch!

Great content, fellows.
I didn't care much about the tires until my car came with Summer tires instead of the all seasons... Even though I ended up with winter tires, I still switched the summers for Michelin A/S 4 UHP T0 Tesla OEM's for those big temp/weather swings. Tyre reviews has very good content as he recently moved to Utah:

The following 6 users liked this post by Serhan:
dangitty (01-01-2023), pmichaelmd (01-01-2023), QuadBenz (01-01-2023), RoyalZelda (01-02-2023), ScottC2 (01-02-2023), taybae (01-01-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2023, 06:01 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
I’m sure some folks here are interested enough to read through all that but I’m not.
hlothery (01-01-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 730 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
The comparison to the M550 reminds me of a story an ex-girlfriend told me. She said that on the first date with her ex-husband he told her that she was the prettiest girl that he had ever gone out with. She looked at him and said, "Well that doesn't say much for you now does it?" So I'm not sure that the fact that the EQS compares favorably with a BMW M550 doesn't say more about the BMW than it does about the EQS.

C&D referred to it as a "Rocket couch"
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2018...-test-wrap-up/

No doubt though the low center of gravity provided by the battery pack makes the car handle much better than one would expect for an ICE equivalent of it's size and weight.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-02-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 02:01 PM

EQS 450+
The comparison to the M550 reminds me of a story an ex-girlfriend told me. She said that on the first date with her ex-husband he told her that she was the prettiest girl that he had ever gone out with. She looked at him and said, "Well that doesn't say much for you now does it?" So I'm not sure that the fact that the EQS compares favorably with a BMW M550 doesn't say more about the BMW than it does about the EQS.

C&D referred to it as a "Rocket couch"
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2018...-test-wrap-up/

No doubt though the low center of gravity provided by the battery pack makes the car handle much better than one would expect for an ICE equivalent of it's size and weight.
Interesting.....I used to call my M550 my Stealth Luxury Rocketship. I loved both cars, they have been my favorites so far.....but I love the EQS much more!
MBNUT1 (01-03-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
EQS AMG 53
It definitely sounds like summer tires encountering very cold weather and pavement. I once had this occur in a 911 GT3 on a spirited early morning drive in November and almost crapped myself--though I didn't wonder if Porsche was ready for prime time! Depending on where you live,I'd consider a switch to all-season tires year round or winter tires for the cold months.
MBNUT1 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:54 PM

EQS 450+
I was just looking at the lineup for this weekends 24 Hours of Daytona, which I have attended multiple times. I noticed that the ambient temps may drop into the high 40's at night. Geez....I sure hope those guys packed their winter tires for this race.............................................. .........................OK, I'll stop now.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
They will just squirt lighter fluid on the treads, light them up and soften the rubber. No problems….😊

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS 450+ STALLED IN MILD SNOW!