EQS EQS (V297) sedan

My journey and considered competition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 02:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
2022 EQS 450+ Pinnacle
My journey and considered competition

I know this isn't a new topic, but thought I would discuss my reasons for purchasing the EQS instead any of the myriad competitors. Historically, I have purchased a truckload of vehicles over the past 30+ years. Bad enough that I have to refer to my USAA policy to see what number vehicle I am insuring. My most recent EV experience was a lovely Karma Revero GT. I was attracted to the styling and the fact that it was the longest-range PHEV. Most of my local commuting could be achieved without gas. Over the course of the year I drove it, I filled the 10 gallon fuel tank approximately 4 times. Not bad. In the interim I bought a new E450 cab and they had the least comfortable seats of any vehicle I have ever driven. I have to believe that is due to the MB-TEX material combined with no proper lumbar adjustment for my build (6'5"). I found that if I drove it for greater than an hour or so my back would attempt to lock up. Thus started my journey for a new, more comfortable vehicle for my very middle-aged back.

First decision, who would low ball me the least on my brand new convertible? I ran the gamut from domestic brands to luxury brands and reaffirmed the universal truth: it is more difficult to trade a luxury brand to a non-luxury brand than to a luxury brand. The difference was on the order of $3k-$7k. Points go to the luxury dealers in this regard, but not all are created equal. The dealership from whom I purchased the EQS was lower on trade valuation by $2k vs the MB dealers around town, the Audi dealer, and Genesis dealer. Unfortunately they had the exact vehicle I wanted and at a great price so they got my business.
Next decision, ICE vs EV? As I would be making a 700 mile round trip commute multiple times a year, an ICE vehicle was tempting and I was looking at the S Class, 7 series, and Genesis G90. All have good highway ranges, decent acceleration, and comfortable accommodations. I was really more interested in EVs though as my experience with my PHEV was positive and I already have a Level 2 charger installed at the house as well as access to many at my hospitals and my travel level 2 charger. The EV choices were the EQS, iX, Model S LR, Audi E torn GT, and Rivian.
For ICE, in terms of tech and comfort, the best choice for me was either the S500 or the G90. The new 7 series doesn't appeal to me as the exterior is awkward (um, EQS too but...) and the interior too minimalistic for my taste. The S500 and G90 were tougher, but the value proposition of the G90 would have been too difficult to ignore. All it is missing is wireless CarPlay or Android Auto and a killer sound system. I demoed the B&O on both the base and eSC G90 models and was less than impressed as compared to the Burmester in my E450 or the stock system in my Karma. If I had gone ICE, it would have been the G90 base.
EVs - Rivian has too many questions and I had run into the uncertainty associated with a fledgling automaker in the past. Admittedly we are beta testers for MB and the EQS, but at least the automaker has a strong history and should, theoretically, be able to support our needs in the event we have them. The Tesla Model S was fast, scary fast, but sparse on the inside. It felt like driving an IKEA store around and the airplane steering wheel was an unnecessary extra. The BMW didn't have the range I was looking for and had the same spartan interior as the 7 series. The E Tron GT was gorgeous and was high on the list, but the range was simply inadequate. I can only imagine what driving it 700 miles round trip would have meant in terms of stopping at every EA station on highway 85. In this cold I would expect it to have a real world range of something like 165-170 miles. That left the EQS.
The EQS - I was debating the merits of the 580 vs 450+ and AWD vs RWD. Living in the South there is little need for AWD for anything other than performance. Admittedly the range is only slightly lower for the 580, but I liked the idea of getting 400+ miles to a charge for my longer road trips. I also like the regular S class interior without the hyperscreen. There seems to be a lot that could go wrong underneath a single panel and everything in both versions is a fingerprint magnet. I suppose, for the money, the 450+ became the winner by default.
First impressions: I had a 450+ loaner without the AMG exterior treatment and 20" wheels. It was whisper quiet and smooth. Charging at EA superchargers was a breeze and made the 700 mile round trip easy. My 450+ with the AMG package and 21" wheels: smooth but not as smooth as the loaner with more intrusive road noises above 45-50 MPH. The low frequency vibratory thrum may be the tires, but it is starting to sound more and more like wind buffeting on an AMG piece or something with the driveline. I will listen over the coming weeks and have it looked at the first time I take it back to the dealer for corrections. The laser cut instrument panel is plastic and creaks on the far driver's edge behind the rotary air vent. I can either ask them to replace that or bolster it with some foam myself. Also the heated steering wheel does not appear to be operative although it shows as linked to my seat heater in the appropriate seat heating submenu. I also tried voice activation via Hey Mercedes and was informed that that function was not currently available (even though my build sheet shows it as an included option for $250). Maybe the sensor is bad? It is the third thing on the list to have them look at.
The external appearance is controversial and the premium trim loaner I had was white and not good to look at. My metallic gray AMG packaged 450 looks good to my eyes while keeping in mind it isn't meant to look like a sports car. The 0.20 drag coefficient might be worth the looks but I would have taken an EV with the same exterior as the current S Class. That said, it looks and drives like a spaceship and I love my spaceship.
Those smaller things aside, the ride is awesome and the technology is crazy. Very excited about this vehicle.
Thanks for reading my blather!
The following 4 users liked this post by pmichaelmd:
js_cls (12-22-2022), Ormond2004 (12-24-2022), ScottC2 (12-23-2022), taybae (12-23-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 05:01 PM

Received 262 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
All very interesting! I had neither the handy availability, nor,frankly, the interest or patience, to do this sort of research, etc.
Imagine how good I feel about buying my 450+ in exactly the Spartan mode (vis-a-vis options) I wanted to now see your extensive efforts validate my buying decision!
A year later, I feel so good about what I did and what I have!
The following 4 users liked this post by Newbyloub:
Ormond2004 (12-24-2022), pmichaelmd (12-22-2022), stewartmmorris (12-22-2022), taybae (12-23-2022)