Tires specifically for EVs...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
I understand that when one disagrees with another person, it's tempting to get personal, but it's really neither helpful nor productive to do it.

In the case of the Hankook commercial, yes, some "facts" are presented...but the reader/viewer has no way to determine or discriminate amongst these "facts," and alternative "facts" not shown. It is, plain and simply, a sales/marketing tool for Hankook, and, as such, is deserving of being viewed challengingly. When such material is created and presented for and/or by a specific company, there is no defense against potential bias, and no way to challenge any aspect of it. The format, the specifics, the entire presentation had to meet the sponsor's criteria and goals, or it wouldn't have been released. I don't think anyone can reasonably deny that.
Fact: EV tires differ from regular tires in several different ways
Sales talk: EV tires are a significantly better than regular tires, Our tires are the best!

Fact: Rolling resistance makes a BIGGER difference to EVs because of the High efficiency of motors and low energy capacity of batteries!
Sales Talk: The rolling resistance from our tires offer a significant improvement over regular tires, Our tires are the best!

Its fine to disagree with sales talk. They could be true, they could be false, or they could just be exaggeration.
I never personally attacked anyone... I just called a spade a spade. If you ignore something and I say "hey you ignored a fact!" That is not a personal attack... its just another fact!
Old 12-26-2022, 02:43 PM

Received 262 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
You wrote this: "You my firend are the prime example of someone that who doesnt care "to study the topic" You cant even bother to watch or comprehend an educational video (regardless of the fact that it was sponsored by marketing)"
In my book, that's getting negatively personal, and adds nothing to the discussion. If you don't agree, c'est la vie.

Citing something in a commercial as "fact," doesn't establish it as a fact. Unless an independent source or time has proven it to be true, it's not a fact, it's an opinion expressed as a "fact."

In a completely different context, I have been involved in our local history for half a century. There are certain tales told about various aspects of our earlier days that simply are impossible to substantiate, yet are repeated generation after generation as "facts" I call them "Romantic historical myths," as they are nothing more than that. Harmless, but not facts.

Last edited by Newbyloub; 12-26-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
You wrote this: "You my firend are the prime example of someone that who doesnt care "to study the topic" You cant even bother to watch or comprehend an educational video (regardless of the fact that it was sponsored by marketing)"
In my book, that's getting negatively personal, and adds nothing to the discussion. If you don't agree, c'est la vie.

Citing something in a commercial as "fact," doesn't establish it as a fact. Unless an independent source or time has proven it to be true, it's not a fact, it's an opinion expressed as a "fact."

In a completely different context, I have been involved in our local history for half a century. There are certain tales told about various aspects of our earlier days that simply are impossible to substantiate, yet are repeated generation after generation as "facts" I call them "Romantic historical myths," as they are nothing more than that. Harmless, but not facts.
I see your point. I was really just attempting to drive home the fact that it was a case of the "pot calling the kettle black"
Not meant to be an attack, just highlighting the irony of that persons statement after making two unenlightened statements. Instead of discerning what was fact and what is most likely "sales talk" A choice was made to deem everything as "sales talk" and ignore the facts.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
This post screams "I did not watch any of the videos posted above"
The video clearly states that there are more differences, whoever told you that the only difference was the foam was misinformed.
"Equally Valid?" What? No! Rolling resistance makes a BIGGER difference to EVs because of the High efficiency of motors and low energy capacity of batteries!
You my firend are the prime example of someone that who doesnt care "to study the topic" You cant even bother to watch or comprehend an educational video (regardless of the fact that it was sponsored by marketing). The video had facts, do some research with an open mind and recognize what is based in facts/truth and what it purely "sales talk."
Perhaps stupid to come back but I feel I need to state that I did watch a video, I only watched one video, the one that I made comments on. Why would I need to view all posted videos to comment on the one I watched?

I said the video was informative. I did not say it was 100% marketing bull****.

I said the winter tyres I bought were 100% the same as the non-EV marked tyre from the same brand (also confirmed by my tyre shop, these were Nokian Hakka studded tyres for real winter). If other EV tyres have other differences, I'm fine with that. Please look back to my previous post. My cousin is a tyre shop owner and I trust his word on this detail.

I see the rolling resistance can be seen differently, my word "equally" should not have been taken literally (isn't it obvious?). Is it more important for an energy efficient car whose range is limited or is it more important for a gas guzzler where fuel consumption remains high but drops significantly in absolute terms (more kWh of energy or saved € per km). My view was that it improves all cars and isn't any EV thing. Depending on what is measured, one or the other gains more, both gain something. Low rolling resistance tyres anyway definitely existed before EVs and are advertised for other cars.

For all the other "facts" that the video (the one I commented) included, I would have expected a list of examples as a counter argument instead of simply claiming I missed them all (except the ones I listed?). How much more useful to see which points I missed. Please educate us all.

I could add a comment on the new type of tyre belt that improves ride performance. I do accept that as a fact but again, that approach is used for ICE car tyres too. Just a new generic development in my opinion.

Tyres are a compromise with grip, efficiency, wear etc. etc. Depends on the owners personal priorities if an "EV tyre" is best for his car or not. The EV tyre could best suit for someone driving an ICE car.

Sorry if all this upsets you or anyone else, absolutely no intention and I'll stop here.
The following users liked this post:
dangitty (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 04:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW
We have the Bridgestone Turanzas All Season tires, I’m fairly certain that these in the 21” size are specked for the EQS exclusively. No complaints, but I would advise caution concerning pothole. We’re no strangers to potholes here in Utah, but the first one I hit blew out the sidewall. One interesting thing I learned about Run Flat tires is that depending on your tire wear, the manufacture may recommend replacing all the tires. If that’s the case Run Flats may prove to be a very expensive choice.
The following users liked this post:
Utopia Texas (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 08:19 PM

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Perhaps stupid to come back but I feel I need to state that I did watch a video, I only watched one video, the one that I made comments on. Why would I need to view all posted videos to comment on the one I watched?

I said the video was informative. I did not say it was 100% marketing bull****.

I said the winter tyres I bought were 100% the same as the non-EV marked tyre from the same brand (also confirmed by my tyre shop, these were Nokian Hakka studded tyres for real winter). If other EV tyres have other differences, I'm fine with that. Please look back to my previous post. My cousin is a tyre shop owner and I trust his word on this detail.

I see the rolling resistance can be seen differently, my word "equally" should not have been taken literally (isn't it obvious?). Is it more important for an energy efficient car whose range is limited or is it more important for a gas guzzler where fuel consumption remains high but drops significantly in absolute terms (more kWh of energy or saved € per km). My view was that it improves all cars and isn't any EV thing. Depending on what is measured, one or the other gains more, both gain something. Low rolling resistance tyres anyway definitely existed before EVs and are advertised for other cars.

For all the other "facts" that the video (the one I commented) included, I would have expected a list of examples as a counter argument instead of simply claiming I missed them all (except the ones I listed?). How much more useful to see which points I missed. Please educate us all.

I could add a comment on the new type of tyre belt that improves ride performance. I do accept that as a fact but again, that approach is used for ICE car tyres too. Just a new generic development in my opinion.

Tyres are a compromise with grip, efficiency, wear etc. etc. Depends on the owners personal priorities if an "EV tyre" is best for his car or not. The EV tyre could best suit for someone driving an ICE car.

Sorry if all this upsets you or anyone else, absolutely no intention and I'll stop here.
I agree with you. If I order a Michelin PS4S which is approved by MB as an MO (mileage optimized) tire (which TireRack says it is), why would it not work as well on my EV as an OEM mileage optimized Goddyear F1? I'd love to hear that answer from a tire expert. I stand ready to learm.

Last edited by hlothery; 12-27-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
I agree with you. If I order a Michelin PS4S which is approved by MB as an MO (mileage optimized) tire (which TireRack says it is), why would it not work as well on my EV as an OEM mileage optimized Goddyear F1? I'd love to hear that answer from a tire expert. I stand ready to learm.
It should work as good or better. Again, the PS 4s is the high performance standard. However, I doubt it will be low rolling resistance. I suspect they are a big contributor to the AMGs lower range. MO does not mean milage optimized it means Mercedes Original (OEM). One common MO feature is a foam insert to lower the tire's noise among other features. BMW and Porsche also have their own particular "optimized" tires.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I understand the philosophy but a set of winter tires can take a vehicle than can’t handle the conditions and turn it into one that can. If you have to get to work outside of home, this can be important.
What’s the saying, Horses for Courses? If I really need to get out on a wintery day then I’m taking the Range Rover, not the EQS.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by xder345
What’s the saying, Horses for Courses? If I really need to get out on a wintery day then I’m taking the Range Rover, not the EQS.
Nice to have that choice...