Atmos EQS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 06:09 PM
LVO

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS 580
Atmos EQS

I have Apple Music tried listening to spatial audio atmos enabled tracks in online music streaming on Mbux. But haven’t noticed a difference in audio quality. Is there a way to turn on atmos from the side of apple or Mbux?

Old 04-21-2023, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 727 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by LVO
I have Apple Music tried listening to spatial audio atmos enabled tracks in online music streaming on Mbux. But haven’t noticed a difference in audio quality. Is there a way to turn on atmos from the side of apple or Mbux?
The stereo on the EQS sounds splendid. Unless its equipped with roof speakers or at least roof pointing ones it will decodes ATMOS but will not sound any different (like the optional Burmester in other MB models). Finally, the music you're playing must be ATMOs encoded, the decoder cannot mix a regular music file to ATMOS. Soooo if you put a regular music file in ATMOS mode, it will do nothing. Atmos can sound great but its really not that much better than SACD. Dolby has been pushing it for years. My prediction is that its just a passing fad as many other surround formats. As an old hand in audio, I don't see anyone running out to replace their 100k 5.1 systems to buy ATMOS. Forget it about audio only systems for it. Just another other acronym that will end up in the trashbin of short lived audio formats.
MB might offer the full optional Burmester at some point, but note that it sucks twice as much current as the present stereo (which sounds spectacular) and requires multiple additional amps. Thus it will cost you an extra 3k and cost you 15 miles in range....... Sounds like a no to me.
In a few reviews that I have read for the optiomal Burmester most reviewers have cocluded that its more complicated rather rather than noticeably better sounding than it less expensive counterpart. I have heard them both... and I completely agree. That's why Ive opted out both chances to buy out despite spending ridiculous amounts of money on audio elsewhere

Last edited by c4004matic; 04-21-2023 at 10:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
rrombeieo (06-01-2023), ScottC2 (04-22-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:49 PM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Unless its equipped with roof speakers or at least roof pointing ones it will decodes ATMOS but will not sound any different (like the optional Burmester in other MB models).
Sorry, I beg to differ.
Even without the roof speakers, the 5.1 surround should be pretty obvious and should sound much better than previous Burmester with Stereo source.
From the youtube, the 3D Burmester should have one roof speaker in front, and 2 at the back, and there are two up firing tweeters one the front doors, and a few up firing speakers on the dash.

My prediction is that its just a passing fad as many other surround formats. As an old hand in audio, I don't see anyone running out to replace their 100k 5.1 systems to buy ATMOS. Forget it about audio only systems for it. Just another other acronym that will end up in the trashbin of short lived audio formats.
Atmos would stay - why? You don't need dedicated Atmos or multi-channel system to enjoy it, unlike multi-channel SACD or DVD-Audio (in the trashbin as you said).
Just a pair of AirPods and your iPhone, you can already enjoy Atmos effects. Sure, it won't sound as good as a dedicated Atmos system, but many Apple Music songs are mixed for headset Atmos anyways.
And unlike lossless audio, where 99% of the listeners cannot tell the difference, almost anyone can distinguish between an Atmos mix vs a plain stereo mix.

Not all Atmos mix are good, especially during this learning stage, but some are awesome, and I won't go back to stereo any more.

Old 04-22-2023, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by LVO
There is an ongoing thread in S-Class forum, and one user mentioned that there is a settings to turn on Atmos.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...s-class-2.html
Old 04-22-2023, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 727 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by nosnoop
Sorry, I beg to differ.
Even without the roof speakers, the 5.1 surround should be pretty obvious and should sound much better than previous Burmester with Stereo source.
From the youtube, the 3D Burmester should have one roof speaker in front, and 2 at the back, and there are two up firing tweeters one the front doors, and a few up firing speakers on the dash.

Atmos would stay - why? You don't need dedicated Atmos or multi-channel system to enjoy it, unlike multi-channel SACD or DVD-Audio (in the trashbin as you said).
Just a pair of AirPods and your iPhone, you can already enjoy Atmos effects. Sure, it won't sound as good as a dedicated Atmos system, but many Apple Music songs are mixed for headset Atmos anyways.
And unlike lossless audio, where 99% of the listeners cannot tell the difference, almost anyone can distinguish between an Atmos mix vs a plain stereo mix.

Not all Atmos mix are good, especially during this learning stage, but some are awesome, and I won't go back to stereo any more.
A car is not a pair of headphones. True atmos requires seven channels four of which must radiate upwards or 4 roof speakers. Its a vitual nightmare of snakes going everywhere. Like 7.1 but but worse. Yes it can sound better than 5.1 a little.... But like 5.1 its still a synthetic environment, great for loud movies not so much for straight audio, clever but not better. Essentially every knowledgeable music lover would rather listen to just 2 channel stereo to surround every day plus Sunday, even on analog of all things. Spectators do not sit in the middle of the orchestra. There are a few hundred Atmos encoded audio works a few selected ones are very good the rest....meh. Again like SACD or DVD audio just a flash in the pan.

Last edited by c4004matic; 04-22-2023 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
True atmos requires seven channels four of which must radiate upwards or 4 roof speakers.
The beauty of object based Atmos vs speaker/channel based surround is that it can work with any number of speakers.
For sure, for the full Atmos effects, you should get the proper setup. But it is not a requirement. You can get decent Atmos with less capable system or even a pair of headset.

Essentially every knowledgeable music lover would rather listen to just 2 channel stereo to surround every day plus Sunday, even on analog of all things . Spectators do not sit in the middle of the orchestra.
I am not a purist audiophile.
I don't just want to be a spectator, I want to experience something not even possible in real life - like how it sounds in the MIDDLE of an orchestra.
So no, I am a fan of multi-channel audio, and I prefer it over 2 channel every day plus Sunday. I hate vinyl too.

Absolutely, if it is not your cup of tea, turn if off by all means.
But Atmos is a godsend for multi-channel lovers like myself after the death of SACD and DVD-A. And I am glad it has finally found a home that is going to last - and the catalog of spatial audio is expanding exponentially.

Last edited by nosnoop; 04-22-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:38 AM
LVO

EQS 580
There is an ongoing thread in S-Class forum, and one user mentioned that there is a settings to turn on Atmos.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...s-class-2.html
this is helpful , I’ll try to dig into the menus a little more. I wonder if there a different Mbux firmware on 2023 vs 2022 models than enable this function
Old 05-31-2023, 03:56 PM
LVO

EQS 580
Originally Posted by LVO
this is helpful , I’ll try to dig into the menus a little more. I wonder if there a different Mbux firmware on 2023 vs 2022 models than enable this function
I had electric issues with my MBUX turning on and off, took it to the shop and they upgraded to the latest MBUX NTG 3.03 something, also they updated the drive system with the OTA update that c4004 got via OTA. So two huge PULSES with the new software MBUX update and the OTA update for the drive system (there was an open recall for my VIN - installed by service tech). My 2022 EQS 580 now has ATMOS support for apple Music which results in mind blowing quality and fidelity, listened to the dance in spatial audio playlist on Apple Music via online music streaming (NOT Applecar play), I thought I was in vegas with tiesto and armin van buren, unreal. Also my vehicle stopped jerking and low speeds from a cold start. I thought about getting an i7 because of this issue at low speeds with jerking for my EQS 580, and even had a pre-order for the BMW, until they cancelled executive package with auto-doors etc. Now with the software updates, I will be driving my EQS until the next gen comes out for an upgrade. So happy, great job mercedes!
The following 2 users liked this post by LVO:
AppleFan1 (05-31-2023), nosnoop (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by LVO
I had electric issues with my MBUX turning on and off, took it to the shop and they upgraded to the latest MBUX NTG 3.03 something, also they updated the drive system with the OTA update that c4004 got via OTA. So two huge PULSES with the new software MBUX update and the OTA update for the drive system (there was an open recall for my VIN - installed by service tech). My 2022 EQS 580 now has ATMOS support for apple Music which results in mind blowing quality and fidelity, listened to the dance in spatial audio playlist on Apple Music via online music streaming (NOT Applecar play), I thought I was in vegas with tiesto and armin van buren, unreal. Also my vehicle stopped jerking and low speeds from a cold start. I thought about getting an i7 because of this issue at low speeds with jerking for my EQS 580, and even had a pre-order for the BMW, until they cancelled executive package with auto-doors etc. Now with the software updates, I will be driving my EQS until the next gen comes out for an upgrade. So happy, great job mercedes!
That’s great news. So your dealer was able to download the new over the air driver assistance software that c4004matic reported? MB is suppose to get back to me this week about this major over the air software update. If I don’t hear from them, I’m going to do what you did and take it to the dealer.

I use Apple Music all the time when listening to music in the car. Does anyone know what the latest NTG is? I have 329.xx installed. I don’t think I have Atmos support presently.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 05-31-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:09 PM
LVO

EQS 580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
That’s great news. So your dealer was able to download the new over the air driver assistance software that c4004matic reported? MB is suppose to get back to me this week about this major over the air software update. If I don’t hear from them, I’m going to do what you did and take it to the dealer.

I use Apple Music all the time when listening to music in the car. Does anyone know what the latest NTG is? I have 329.xx installed. I don’t think I have Atmos support presently.
see attached pictures. Hopefully this helps. Press the widgets to turn on atmos , if you have the right version it will appear. My older version didn’t have to ability to select atmos. Also attached is the update name from my service log.

The D D next to the music info indicates Dolby atmos track.

The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 10:38 PM

Does this Apple Music App use "Listening History"?
For almost all other device, you can select use Listening History on or off. But there does not seem to be a setting here.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:00 PM
LVO

EQS 580
Does this Apple Music App use "Listening History"?
For almost all other device, you can select use Listening History on or off. But there does not seem to be a setting here.
it auto populates playlists based on prior listening history, ie “Nosnoop rock favorites” etc. But i don’t see a button to turn the feature off in the app. The UI to navigate playlists is much better on this newer version of Mbux, as you can navigate on the zero layer pane of the music app. On the older version to scroll through the playlist you had to click the zero layer pane and expand the menu to the full screen. I test drove an i7 with idrive 8, and the UI with Mbux for online music streaming is much better. With bmw, you only have access to a POS android interface Spotify app. With MBUX you have access to Spotify, tidal, Amazon music , and Apple Music. With Apple Music unlocking the native atmos tracks that stream in hi fidelity.