Time to order?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Time to order?

I'm a previous MB owner, W201 & W212, and after looking at the available EVs on the market am thinking seriously about an EQS. Don't drive much but take a 1000 mile trip across the desert every year to visit friends. What options are advisable? I wear hearing aids and road noise gets to me so I'm considering acoustic windows. Do they cut down road noise enough to be worth it? What other options are advisable? I hate having a new car and wish I'd included some options after a while of driving it. It looks like the early bugs and niggles have been worked out of the EQS, correct?
Old 09-03-2023, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I own a EQS 580 SUV and have driven a sedan also and after 55 years of driving consider them one of the smoothest, quiet vehicles on the road. All the other cars I own right now (8) I occasionally turn my hearing aids off while driving especially on the “chip seal” surfaces my local counties are using. In the EQS I leave the hearing aids on all the time.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I owned an EQS 450 without acoustic glass and now own a 580 with acoustic glass. The difference is negligible in my opinion. The EQS is already quiet and the acoustic glass difference is not a drastic difference. But if you are sensitive to road noise it may be more of a noticeable for you.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadillac ELR. EQS450+
I never understood why they wouldn't include acoustic glass as standard equipment on their top models
Old 09-04-2023, 06:51 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
MLESCOVER: About your 1000 mile trip. I'd suggest you download the Electrify America app on your Iphone and then look for charging stations along the route you usually take. Go to each station and look at the state of each of the five or so chargers and see what output they have at that time. Then think about what might happen if all the EV America chargers are down at one or more locations while your on your trup.

This last week I went to the EV America site at Eastland, Texas. All five units were puttting out but 50kwh. That's not pretty, so I looked at the app and saw that in Sweetwater their units were putting out 150kwh down to 50kwh, so I passed up Eastland and went to Sweetwater, Take note, at the first of this year I has gone to Sweetwater and none of the five units were working and I had but 15% left in the car, which gets you nowhere in Texas.

There are other apps, but I figure you would get the free for two years charging from EV America if you bought one. Keep one of your Mercedes gas for long trips for actually getting there in a timely manner imho.

I'm a bit nosy, but in general, from where to where is this 1,000 mile trip happening? Nothing specific, just in general. Thank you.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
.... from where to where is this 1,000 mile trip happening?.....
Southern California coast to Flagstaff and Fountain Hills Az. Sometimes I go through Fountain Hills before Flagstaff and sometimes the other way around. I don't have a cell phone (I know, incredulous!). I've looked up charging stations and there are several available going/coming from both locations but the more I read about availability/low power the more my range anxiety manifests itself. My wife has an ICE car but it's too small/sporty for long trips with dog and baggage.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:47 PM

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Southern California coast to Flagstaff and Fountain Hills Az. Sometimes I go through Fountain Hills before Flagstaff and sometimes the other way around. I don't have a cell phone (I know, incredulous!). I've looked up charging stations and there are several available going/coming from both locations but the more I read about availability/low power the more my range anxiety manifests itself. My wife has an ICE car but it's too small/sporty for long trips with dog and baggage.
for EQS sedan, you won't have too much of range anxiety. from 100% to 20%, you can drive at least 250 miles.
since last charge, 86% to yesterday 19%, I drove about 230 miles, it shows still have 80 miles left. although I won't say 80 miles is exact but that is still lots of juice for me to find a charging station before run out of power.
there are a lot of EA around OC, where 5/91/405 freeways, and few EA before exit CA. i am not sure NV and AZ but there should be few big stations on the way.
I will wait for 2024 model which has heat pump, add about 30-50 miles range during winter.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by guess2098
for EQS sedan, you won't have too much of range anxiety. from 100% to 20%, you can drive at least 250 miles.
since last charge, 86% to yesterday 19%, I drove about 230 miles, it shows still have 80 miles left. although I won't say 80 miles is exact but that is still lots of juice for me to find a charging station before run out of power.
there are a lot of EA around OC, where 5/91/405 freeways, and few EA before exit CA. i am not sure NV and AZ but there should be few big stations on the way.
I will wait for 2024 model which has heat pump, add about 30-50 miles range during winter.
So how much range should I expect going 90MPH on cruise with AC on? That's what I do. 250 miles is doable from what I can see on the charger maps but are they always up and reliable? I wasn't ready for that part. I'm not trying to talk myself out of it, I'm trying to convince myself that it's OK. And I'm not worried about local travel since home charging will more than take care of that.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:05 PM

So how much range should I expect going 90MPH on cruise with AC on? That's what I do. 250 miles is doable from what I can see on the charger maps but are they always up and reliable? I wasn't ready for that part. I'm not trying to talk myself out of it, I'm trying to convince myself that it's OK. And I'm not worried about local travel since home charging will more than take care of that.
if you are going for 90, I think at least 250 from 100% to 20. after I switch to EV, somehow I can't drive 90 anymore. average between 75-70. I will use shareplug app to find the charging station.
but if you think you are not ready, dont convince yourself to have EV now. EV just starts, there will be more charging station, better range EV, and less software issue. not need to rush into this market if you dont feel ok.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
i...but if you think you are not ready, dont convince yourself to have EV now. EV just starts, there will be more charging station, better range EV, and less software issue. not need to rush into this market if you dont feel ok.
I was 'ready' when the first Tesla S were on wait list and dropped out because the ship dates and build specs were constantly changing. Yes, more charge stations now and more range. Range has doubled from 200 to 400 in that time. 350 will work for me/my use. Can't beat an EV within its' single charge range and that's most of my driving. What about added options?
Old 09-05-2023, 12:34 PM

I was 'ready' when the first Tesla S were on wait list and dropped out because the ship dates and build specs were constantly changing. Yes, more charge stations now and more range. Range has doubled from 200 to 400 in that time. 350 will work for me/my use. Can't beat an EV within its' single charge range and that's most of my driving. What about added options?
to me I think acoustic windows is important as EV has no engine. you will feel outside noise is louder than usual.
I chose 580 because it has hyper screen because interior looks empty without it on 450. but 2024 all EQS model has hyper screen
Old 09-05-2023, 12:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MB AMG EQS
If range is most important value, I'd buy single engine version (eqs, not suv), but I would load it fully with options All luxuries what you can afford, because then EQS is doing best job what it can do. It needs all gadgets! And of course, if you want more driving experience, choice is simple, just go AMG 53. So, I could get bad karma but, I'd skip 580. But as someone before said, this is new technology - but honestly eqs is damn good car already, I am still in love and I am waiting very curiously near coming winter season.

So, welcome to board?
The following users liked this post:
mleskovar (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 01:05 PM

MB AMG EQS
... but 2024 all EQS model has hyper screen
Really!? This is news to me! I'd like say that hyper screen is one most important option, whole eq-series!
Old 09-05-2023, 05:19 PM

that is correct. please refer to 2024 order guide
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/87117...er-guides.html

Originally Posted by Motonet
Really!? This is news to me! I'd like say that hyper screen is one most important option, whole eq-series!
The following users liked this post:
Motonet (09-06-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:53 PM

Last Sunday or maybe saturday I had a 92% charge beginning, I drove a steady 75 mph (a pain to do imho) to Sweetwater, Texas or 187 miles,, I had 34% charge left. I could have made it to Midland, Texas about 301 miles from the house but only with 10% left at the charger thare. Doing 95 mph I'd have been lucky to make the 187 to Sweetwater imho. It's a EQS 450 and supposed to get better milage than the 580. Car going to CARMAX tomorrow and going to say 'bye, bye' to it.

You can now buy as of yesterday, a Tesla S Mode for about 75k. It claims a 405 mile range. It will do that if you put it on a flatbed truck but not on its own.. I've owned a '20 S Performance and a 22 Tesla S base.. Neither has legs and ride a lot worse than a EQS. Bah humbug to EV's for me till they build real infrastructure in about five years plus. Did I say Boo Hiss to EV'S?

The day someone reliable builds a fast charger in Corpus Christ, Texas in bulk if you will (20 plus units) I might buy another EQS so I can just go surf fishing in a timely manner. Tesla finally, finally, finally built a supercharger there about a year and a half ago and it was crowded. Corpus has NO Level 3 chargers imho. As in one with 350kwh plus output.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
Last Sunday or maybe saturday I had a 92% charge beginning, I drove a steady 75 mph (a pain to do imho) to Sweetwater, Texas or 187 miles,, I had 34% charge left. I could have made it to Midland, Texas about 301 miles from the house but only with 10% left at the charger thare. Doing 95 mph I'd have been lucky to make the 187 to Sweetwater imho. It's a EQS 450 and supposed to get better milage than the 580. Car going to CARMAX tomorrow and going to say 'bye, bye' to it.

You can now buy as of yesterday, a Tesla S Mode for about 75k. It claims a 405 mile range. It will do that if you put it on a flatbed truck but not on its own.. I've owned a '20 S Performance and a 22 Tesla S base.. Neither has legs and ride a lot worse than a EQS. Bah humbug to EV's for me till they build real infrastructure in about five years plus. Did I say Boo Hiss to EV'S?

The day someone reliable builds a fast charger in Corpus Christ, Texas in bulk if you will (20 plus units) I might buy another EQS so I can just go surf fishing in a timely manner. Tesla finally, finally, finally built a supercharger there about a year and a half ago and it was crowded. Corpus has NO Level 3 chargers imho. As in one with 350kwh plus output.
So how do you really feel Thanks for the data. I'm looking for even more experiences with same speeds and distances. When you buy a Tesla you still have a Tesla interior and attention to detail but the specs look good.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:16 AM

MB AMG EQS
Yeps, one thing always left to mention - don't buy EV if you can't charge it in your home at nights! Ever, any EV..
And other basic thing is: Fast highway speeds eats much EV's amps, its just physics. And when car (example EQS) is so quiet and comfy, you will drove too fast too often. This is major difference if you compare ICE-cars, they goes cheap when you drove steady speed even a little bit faster.
And don't buy EV car if you need to get 300 miles per day, every weather and of course, without any pitstops, they ain't ready for that yet.

Anyway/otherwise, if someone will give me all money what I had spend on my eqs - I'll take that deal - but only to ordering a new amg 53 with Kalahari gold -color. Damn, it is cool color!
Old 09-06-2023, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580
I'm a previous MB owner, W201 & W212, and after looking at the available EVs on the market am thinking seriously about an EQS. Don't drive much but take a 1000 mile trip across the desert every year to visit friends. What options are advisable? I wear hearing aids and road noise gets to me so I'm considering acoustic windows. Do they cut down road noise enough to be worth it? What other options are advisable? I hate having a new car and wish I'd included some options after a while of driving it. It looks like the early bugs and niggles have been worked out of the EQS, correct?
Acoustic package also cuts out IR so you'll have a much cooler cabin on sunny days. It'll also slow down a smash and grab thief because of the laminated glass.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:13 PM

Google EQS 450 Car and Driver. I did this a hour ago and the article not only looked at the 450, but the 580 also. At the end of the article there are SPECIFICATIONS and it shows specs for the 580 and 450. Car and Driver do a 75 mph range test on most cars. They gave the 580 a range of 350 miles at 75mph. They gave the 450 a range of 400 miles at 75mph. Take it for what it's worth. I trust them more than EDMONDS.

About EDMONDS range tests. I viewed them on YouTube today. They drive at a steady 65mph during their range tests and said the reason was 'that was a safe speed' to drive at. I won't rage about what I think about that 65 mph range test. Then there is a online magazine called INSIDE EV'S where Tom Moloughney who does several range tests at 70 mph. Well 70mph is better than 65 and I'll let it go at that. They/he got 395 miles out of the EQS 450 at 70 mph. On that site there is a place to click on that shows the 'real range' of multiple EV's. The leader is Lucid Air at 500 miles at 70mph followed by the EQS 450 with 395 miles of range.

Tom Moloughney drives his 75 mph on the Jersey Turnpike which he says is flat and only drives a test if the wind is non-existent or very, very low. Drives a loop so even if the wind is blowing a bit, he gets a tail wind during half his test. He sounds reasonable when he talks about the test.

Yes, I was over the top on my post above. I have a hard time believing anybody can drive a 450 EQS at 75mph plus and get over ?? 350 miles of range. I admit from Ft Worth to Sweetwater the elevation goes from 650 ft at my house to Sweetwater at 2,169 ft, but when I drive home it's downhill most of the way back to 650ft. At the end, the display showed I used 300 wh/mi. Halfway at Sweetwater it was (memory) 360 wh/mi. The last figure is questionable. Could have been 345 wh/mi.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:44 PM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Trekguy77
I never understood why they wouldn't include acoustic glass as standard equipment on their top models
Weight which is the enemy of range and performance. Could add up to a 100 lb.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Eqs 580
Charging workarounds

For someone who wants to drive 90 mph, this will not sound appealing, but everyone should know that it is possible to charge at 5 mph with a Lectron adapter and a 15 Amp plug (and a heavy duty extension cord). We charge two EGO zero turn riding lawnmower using a 100 foot cord. The EQS SUV has to be charged alone or it flips the breaker. If you are going to iffy territory, take an adapter that works on the hotel chargers and one that works on a 15 Amp plug.