EQS EQS (V297) sedan

HEADS UP!! Excessive charge time penalties...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 03:27 PM

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts
Mercedes S560
HEADS UP!! Excessive charge time penalties...

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/04/busin...ing/index.html
Old 08-05-2024, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 405 Likes on 279 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
There are no such problems when using Tesla's Supercharger network and everyone who actually owns a non-Tesla EV is dying for access... because Electrify America sux.

This garbage piece of "news" is pure propaganda. Sea levels will now rise and polar bears will drown as a result of you posting it here.
The following users liked this post:
S_W222 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Given the current constraints on public charging, I think that it is a good idea.
ScottC2 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 10:51 PM

Received 165 Likes on 133 Posts
SL63
CNN — Sometimes, technology doesn’t fulfill its promise. But, other times, it isn’t the tech that let’s you down, it’s the people using it. So one electric vehiclecharging company company is experimenting with cutting off people who linger, attempting to “fill ‘er up.”

Recently, I drove a new Chevrolet Blazer EV from New York City to Bristol, Pennsylvania. I figured the drive down to Bristol with my family would take about 90 minutes and, since I didn’t start with a full battery, the return trip would take 15 to 20 minutes more with a stop along the way to charge up the EV some.

I was so very wrong.

It took us four hours to get home that night. We were sitting in line for electric vehicle chargers. Blame ill-mannered charger hogs who don’t respect EV etiquette. It’s like waiting for your table in a restaurant while watching people casually chat over empty plates and half-empty wine glasses.

What’s wrong? EV fast chargers – the big tall units that look like major appliances – aren’t generally designed to completely fill an EV’s batteries. They are designed to pour electricity into a battery quickly so drivers can make a short stop and get back on the road after, say, 20 minutes or so. They’re different from the smaller and more common “slow” or “destination chargers,” in Tesla parlance, that are designed for drivers to park, plug in… and leave for hours.
Fast charging can be stressful for a car’s batteries, though. So, to protect batteries from damage, charging speeds slow way down once batteries get beyond 80% full. In fact, it can take as long, or even longer, to go from 80% charged to completely full than to reach 80%. Meanwhile, lines of electric vehicles wait behind almost-full cars.

I was waiting behind people with batteries that were 92%, 94% and even 97% full, as I could see on the charger screens. Still, they stayed there. I made my own situation worse by giving up on one location and going to another with more chargers, but there were even more EVs waiting there.

Given that a lack of public charging is turning many consumers off to EVs, according to multiple surveys, this is a major issue.

Electrify America, one of America’s biggest charging companies, is experimenting with a solution to the problem of charger hogs who can make it slow and unpleasant to travel in an EV. At 10 of the busiest EV fast charging stations in California, Electrify America has enacted a strict limit. Once a car’s batteries are 85% charged, charging will automatically stop and the driver will be told to unplug and leave or face additional 40-cent-per-minute “idle time” fees for taking the space.

It’s similar to something Tesla vehicles do automatically. When a Tesla car, truck or SUV plugs into a particularly heavily-used Supercharger station, the vehicle itself may automatically limit charging to just 80% “to reduce congestion,” according to Tesla’s on-line Supercharger Support web page.

In that case, though, the user can still override the limit using the vehicle’s touchscreen. Therewill be no getting around Electrify America’s limit. A driver who wants to charge to 100% at one of these stations will need to go someplace else.

Charger access has been a sore point among EV owners for years (note the complaining rants on Reddit and LinkedIn). But it’s becoming a more critical issue because, even though the rate of EV sales growth is tapering off, the number of EVs on the road that need charging is still increasing.

“I think what you’re seeing is demand for public fast charging is really skyrocketing,” said Sara Rafalson, executive vice president for policy at EV charging company EVgo, “and I would say we’ve been really at an inflection point in the last year, year and a half, with demand.”

Why so many drivers hog so few chargers

Given the sharply dropping speed curve of EV chargers it would make the most sense to unplug at 80% and just stop at another charger later to fill to 80% again. That would always take advantage of a fast charger’s highest speeds.

Electric cars are still pretty new to most owners, and their “refueling” habits are based on what they’ve been used to from driving gas cars, said Robert Barrosa, president of the EV charging company Electrify America. People go to a gas pump to “fill up,” and many will treat a charger the same way. Many new EV owners may not even be aware that there is always adrastic slow-down in charging speed past 80%.

But what if the nearest fast charger is, say, at least 15 or 20 minutes out of the way? The relative scarcity of chargers, and long distances between them, can make people want to stick around a while once they find one.

“Once you’re at a charger, it’s like ‘Oh, yeah. I’m filling all the way,” said Barrosa.

Both Electrify America and EVgo said they are rapidly expanding their networks to, as EVgo’s Rafalson put it, “skate ahead of the puck,” trying to make sure there are enough chargers to meet future demand. An ample supply of chargers couldhelp mitigate the sort of electricity hoarding behavior that’s common at chargers now.

The problem of users taking up chargers may be exacerbated by Electrify America’s own free charging agreements with various automakers, including Mercedes-Benz and Hyundai. When charging time costs nothing, there’s no financial incentive to unplug. Like diners ordering more endless shrimp at Red Lobster, some EV drivers take full advantage, to the growing thefrustration of others waiting behind them.

There can also be other legitimate reasons a driver may want to charge to 100% at a fast charger, said Barrosa. For instance, they may be taking a long trip to someplace where they know there will be few chargers. Or they may be driving an EV with relatively little range, like a Fiat 500e or Mazda MX-30, so they need to cram in all they can. Cases like these are why Electrify America probably won’t institute an overall charging cap at charging stations near major highways, he said.

Charging companies like Electrify America have an immense amount of real-time data on charger usage, so a more nuanced approach than a simple limit at certain chargers would be possible. Some EV charging companies have experimented with plans that charge different amounts of money at different times to give drivers incentives to fill their batteries at less busy hours. For now, at least, Electrify America executives want to keep things simple, said Barrosa, so drivers know what to expect when they arrive at a charging station.

For the time being, let’s just hope that EV drivers who don’t really need to fill all the way up will learn to be more considerate.

The best way to post an article, I have found, is to transcribe it, not link to it.
If you link to it, and they pull the link or page down, you still have the original text.
LastOne (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
This is a good idea. I'm over arriving at chargers and having to wait for stupid Chevy Bolts and Hyundai Konas with terribly slow charge curves that are trying to 100% charge. GTFO
lkfoster (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Thread cleaned up. Please stay on topic…
The following 4 users liked this post by Wolfman:
guess2098 (08-06-2024), HBerman (08-06-2024), hlothery (08-06-2024), QuadBenz (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 05:32 PM

Received 449 Likes on 282 Posts
EQS 450+
As an alternative viewpoint, I drove to Dallas this weekend from San Antonio, and back. I stopped in Temple at Buc-ees to charge. They have over 50 Tesla chargers, non of which I can currently use. However, they have 6 MB (ChargePoint) chargers, and are actively working on infrastructure for adding more. My car is over two years old. It cost me $15.31 to charge going to Dallas, and the charging only needed 7 minutes to complete after I walked to the bathroom and back. It cost me just over $20 to charge on the way back, and again I only waited about 7 minutes after going to the bathroom. The charging was flawless, fast and convenient. The area well lit and clean. Others were charging, but there were plenty of stalls open, and I did not see anyone who left their vehicle not actively charging. I hear horror stories, but have not experienced any. It will be even better soon, when Tesla chargers open up to all. Very bright horizon, IMHO. YMMV.
Addendum, I only charged to 80%.

Last edited by hlothery; 08-06-2024 at 07:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
MBNUT1 (08-06-2024), QuadBenz (08-07-2024)
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
EQE 350 4matic
Originally Posted by Crito
There are no such problems when using Tesla's Supercharger network and everyone who actually owns a non-Tesla EV is dying for access... because Electrify America sux.

This garbage piece of "news" is pure propaganda. Sea levels will now rise and polar bears will drown as a result of you posting it here.

Explain Tesla supercharger congestion fees to me
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Originally Posted by Crito
On a positive note, I have been using Gopher turtle shells (I hunt Gopher Turtles)...to make knives that I then kill Manatee with. Butchering the Manatee (local to me, right down the road) I use some of their bones to make spears. I will use the Manatee bone spears to kill the polar bears before they suffer from drowning.
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Received 449 Likes on 282 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
On a positive note, I have been using Gopher turtle shells (I hunt Gopher Turtles)...to make knives that I then kill Manatee with. Butchering the Manatee (local to me, right down the road) I use some of their bones to make spears. I will use the Manatee bone spears to kill the polar bears before they suffer from drowning.
Way above my head, obviously. I'm a pretty straight forward guy. I do enjoy when folks honestly post about their EV experiences and how their EQS has performed, with helpful hints about their actual experiences. I really wonder what others are doing here, wasting our time and theirs? Internet, I guess......
MBNUT1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Thread cleaned up. Please stay on topic…

We just had a TINY hurricane. Word is the Tesla charging station has three days of cars backed up. Two incidents of confrontations between customers trying to get to the front of the line.....progress for humanity.
Old Today, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
We just had a TINY hurricane. Word is the Tesla charging station has three days of cars backed up. Two incidents of confrontations between customers trying to get to the front of the line.....progress for humanity.
Kind of like Houston gas stations running out of gas after Hurricane Beryl. A friend of mine was headed to the airport after Beryl and said the highway was backed up for miles due to a line to get gas.
https://www.fox26houston.com/video/1482977

Last edited by MBNUT1; Today at 02:42 PM.
Old Today, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 582 Likes on 399 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Kind of like Houston gas stations running out of gas after Hurricane Beryl. A friend of mine was headed to the airport after Beryl and said the highway was backed up for miles due to a line to get gas.
https://www.fox26houston.com/video/1482977
Exactly!
Old Today, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by HBerman
Exactly!
we have had that situation with more serious storms. However semi trucks full of thousands of gallons of gasoline come in and the situation is handled almost region wide and five to six hours. The Tesla stations as has been proven over again will frequently take over a week to handle the vehicles that are there.

when the grid is down no truck can bring in electricity. A gas station being out of gas or even every gas station in a particular City being out of gas is absolutely different than an entire region of hundreds of square miles having the grid down which is not uncommon

Last edited by OldManAndHisCar; Today at 05:33 PM.
Old Today, 06:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
ML 350, EQE Sedan
Hmmm. I could see FEMA positioning trucks with EV chargers and large batteries around disaster areas in the future once the EV penetration gets hight enough that this becomes a serious issue. (Chargers limited to 80%, of course).
Old Today, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
we have had that situation with more serious storms. However semi trucks full of thousands of gallons of gasoline come in and the situation is handled almost region wide and five to six hours. The Tesla stations as has been proven over again will frequently take over a week to handle the vehicles that are there.

when the grid is down no truck can bring in electricity. A gas station being out of gas or even every gas station in a particular City being out of gas is absolutely different than an entire region of hundreds of square miles having the grid down which is not uncommon
How is the station going to pump the gas if the grid is down?
Old Today, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
This solar powered town in Florida survived Hurricane Ian with no power loss.
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/05/11269...ck-ranch-solar