EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Level 3 drive pilot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2024 | 04:12 PM

All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Level 3 drive pilot?

I was reading from an AI query that Mercedes are the only US automobiles with level 3 autonomy. I was actually unaware of this.

Can someone that has used this feature give some feedback on its use and effectiveness and also the level of "confidence" when using the feature (or link me to such information)

Also, is there anyone that has used both the drive pilot and the Tesla system. How do they compare (again a link to such information is fine)?

Thanks
K

Last edited by kafklatsch; 09-29-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2024 | 01:32 AM

2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
I have super cruise on my 24 GMC Acadia. It allows me to drive for quite a while without hands on the steering wheel. I’ve gone over 5 minutes without touching the wheel. I don’t think it’s classified as level 3, but it’s much better than the level 2 on my EQS. It only works on roads that GMC has mapped out, but it works rather well, much to my surprise. I think of it as level 2 on steroids.
The following users liked this post:
trigital (09-30-2024)
Old 09-30-2024 | 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rivian, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Tesla
Happy to answer any questions you have about the Tesla system as well as GM Super Cruise, but don't have any hands on experience with Mercedes Drive Pilot. It is unlikely anyone here has or has used the level 3 Drive Pilot system in an EQS. There were *VERY FEW* cars shipped with the hardware needed for this. This is still a very limited release and is still in its infancy, but yes, Mercedes does have the first level 3 system.

Recent video from a few days ago:

Video from a year ago:
Old 09-30-2024 | 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Level 3 is only available from certain California and Bevada dealerships, in very very very limited numbers. It is limited to under 40 mph on pre mapped highways in traffic in good weather and daytime. But yes it's the only level 3 system, meaning the car is soley responsible, you don't need to be paying attention, but also you don't get any say.

GM Supercruise and similar systems are a sort of "level 2.5" system where you're still responsible, you set the parameters, and you have to be monitoring at all times, but it works in more places and still doesn;t require touching the steering wheel every 30 seconds.
Old 09-30-2024 | 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
As said above, Tesla's and other systems are at best level 2.5. They don't have legal approval for level 3. Level 3 means you are allowed to literally do anything else and the car is guaranteed to drive itself within the limited parameters the system works. As such it's currently only approved in California and Nevada on limited stretches of highway and as said, only during stop & go traffic up to 40 mph. It's largely a gimmick unless you spend your life in stop & go traffic. Might as well take the bus or train if that's how you spend your day. I never understood spending six figures on a car and then waste away in stop&go traffic for hours every day.

Also, the vehicle needs to be equipped with a bunch of additional hardware such as Lidar, high precision GPS etc. for Level 3. Can't be activated on existing cars if not equipped with the required hardware from the factory.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-30-2024 at 12:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
aypues (10-14-2024), ranord (10-01-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Mercedes has now increased the drive pilot speed range to 95 km/h: Me too still consider it an expensive gimmick.

https://jesmb.de/23741/
Old 10-02-2024 | 03:09 PM

2022 EQS 450+
I agree, I would just take the bus or train (if we had one) if I didn't want to drive my car. I want to drive it, and I don't want a computer doing it for me. I love to drive. No Drive Pilot for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
Baltistyle (10-08-2024), Drone_S213 (10-09-2024)
Old 10-03-2024 | 09:39 AM

How do you know if the car is equipped with pilot assist? Aren’t all EQS equipped with this tech but can only actually use it in CA or some other states? Also is there a subscription to use pilot assist?

I was looking into CPO 2023 EQS SUVs and as a SoCal resident would love to use it in certain situation.
Old 10-03-2024 | 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ronald.M
How do you know if the car is equipped with pilot assist? Aren’t all EQS equipped with this tech but can only actually use it in CA or some other states? Also is there a subscription to use pilot assist?

I was looking into CPO 2023 EQS SUVs and as a SoCal resident would love to use it in certain situation.
No, not all EQS are equipped with it. It'll be listed on the window sticker, but visually from the inside you can tell if you have the Drive Pilot button on the steering wheel and the easiest way to tell from the outside is the ugly lidar on the front. And yes, it's a $2500 annual subscription. The hardware is free, though. It's a $0 option, so they are counting on making it back with the subscription.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-03-2024 at 11:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
BenjaminKohl (10-11-2024), QuadBenz (10-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2024 | 04:07 PM

Do you think this Drive Pilot. will be a more “regular” option in 2026 model year? Any idea on when the ‘26 model is scheduled for sale in the US? (Asking as my lease expires in 1 year. To be replaced by a ‘25, ‘26 or a different brand).
Old 10-03-2024 | 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by perlfather
Do you think this Drive Pilot. will be a more “regular” option in 2026 model year? Any idea on when the ‘26 model is scheduled for sale in the US? (Asking as my lease expires in 1 year. To be replaced by a ‘25, ‘26 or a different brand).
No, it won't. Simply because it's only usable for limited use in two states so far. Dealerships outside of California and Nevada have no incentive to sell them with the Drive Pilot hardware pre-installed, unless somebody who has a second home in California or Nevada specifically orders one. MB is also not going to install all this expensive hardware in cars that will likely never generate subscription revenue.
Old 10-08-2024 | 02:09 AM

All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Based on the responses here, there may not be a level 3 optioned car in the US.

Originally Posted by superswiss
No, it won't. Simply because it's only usable for limited use in two states so far. Dealerships outside of California and Nevada have no incentive to sell them with the Drive Pilot hardware pre-installed, unless somebody who has a second home in California or Nevada specifically orders one. MB is also not going to install all this expensive hardware in cars that will likely never generate subscription revenue.
Old 10-08-2024 | 08:20 PM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
This is correct. Mercedes is the only one with level 3. It is very good driving assist, but you need to understand it is assist only. It has some quirks, but works very well for the most part. Drive carefully and watch how it works until you get a feel for what it does and does not do.
Old 10-09-2024 | 01:14 AM

Specifically speaking about MB... since it is the only level 3 "available" but it looks like no one in the US has the MB option...
Who's going to volunteer to fix this issue with a "brand newww car!!!!!!..????... Wolfman???...diesel Benz????.. anyone????

Originally Posted by ehildum
This is correct. Mercedes is the only one with level 3. It is very good driving assist, but you need to understand it is assist only. It has some quirks, but works very well for the most part. Drive carefully and watch how it works until you get a feel for what it does and does not do.
Old 10-09-2024 | 11:36 AM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
What are you talking about? I have the features on my car in the US and have been using them since we bought it.

You need to understand that Mercedes is the only manufacturer that stands behind their level three certification with coverage if there is an accident while it is engaged. Other vendors say they have it, but will not back it up with coverage.
Old 10-09-2024 | 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 AMG EQS
What are you talking about? I have the features on my car in the US and have been using them since we bought it.

You need to understand that Mercedes is the only manufacturer that stands behind their level three certification with coverage if there is an accident while it is engaged. Other vendors say they have it, but will not back it up with coverage.
Who else has it? I am pretty sure that MB is the only factory produced lvl 3 system.
If you are thinking about Supercruise and others, those are only lvl 2.
Old 10-10-2024 | 10:50 PM

I asked if someone could give some feedback on the The level 3 experience. My logic was that if anyone had it, there would be a great chance of them being a member of the MB forum community. After I got no takers, I just assume that no one had the feature... That's "what I am talking about"

​​​​​​ I am very happy that you are here and very happy that I am wrong

What is your experience in using the level 3 feature? Have you used it at its upper speed limit for more than a minute or two continuously?

Last edited by kafklatsch; 10-10-2024 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2024 | 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580

It's only approved in CA and NV right? So can you please tell us more about your experience? Are you using it every time you hop on the freeway and are all the freeways nearby mapped out for use?
Old 10-11-2024 | 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by wildta
It's only approved in CA and NV right? So can you please tell us more about your experience? Are you using it every time you hop on the freeway and are all the freeways nearby mapped out for use?
Never mind. Was looking at the wrong signature.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-11-2024 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2024 | 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by wildta
None of the cars in his signature would have Level 3, so I sure hope he doesn't think DISTRONIC is Level 3.
Old 10-11-2024 | 11:48 AM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
Okay, first, I definitely have the full set of features as the car is a Pinnacle with all the drive assist features. Level 3 assist for sure as when I purchased the car, there were half a dozen additional disclosures and notices that I had to sign when I bought the car.

There are no restrictions on where it can be used. However, the amount of assist will vary depending on the quality of the road and conditions. For example, if lane markings are unclear or missing, the lane keeping assist will not be functional. Caltrans really needs to do a better job keeping the roads properly painted. As this is an assist function, it is nice when it is there, and it has kept me from drifting out of the lane a couple of times when I was distracted.

The advanced cruise control is extremely helpful, especially on the heavily traveled very twisty highways near me. I can turn it on in Santa Cruz, and take highway 17 to San Jose without touching the accelerator or brake. The car will follow traffic, matching the speed limit as it changes and slowing down for curves. That is a tough drive at night in heavy, fast traffic with narrow lanes and no shoulders. The car makes it easy.

I also use the assist when driving on surface streets in both stop and go traffic and in light traffic conditions. If I have a car or two ahead of me, then it can handle stoplights well, stopping at the car in front and proceeding when the light turns green and the cars start moving. I have to hit the brakes manually if there are no cars in front when the light is red or at stop signs. It is not a self drive system at all, and should not be treated as such.

The only issue I see is that the car is a bit hesitant handling cars turning right into parking lots ahead of me, it slows down too much and for too long. I need to intervene to maintain an appropriate speed as the car in front clears the road. It also occasionally misreads a speed limit sign, so I do have to correct the updated speed every once and a while. I also have to change it to match the real speed of traffic, which in some areas goes about 10 MPH above the posted limit.

One annoyance is that Germans seem to be very impatient. The navigation system always wants me to take the express lane, even for short (and extremely expensive) distances. I cannot tell it to ignore express lanes, so the next turn information is off a bit as it shows express lane locations instead of the next real exit. That messed me up a few times until I realized what was happening. I am not going to pay $12 to go two miles two minutes faster and have to deal with merging across four or five lanes of traffic at each end of the express segment.

The auto lane change is interesting, but I have turned it off due to the issue above. It will try to move me all the way over next to the express lane, which means I have to navigate back when the real exit shows up. That said, the lane change assist is nice.

I should add the lane keeping assist is teaching me to properly signal lane changes in advance; I have developed some bad habits, and the car is making me correct them.

Last edited by ehildum; 10-11-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2024 | 11:52 AM

Okay, first, I definitely have the full set of features as the car is a Pinnacle with all the drive assist features. Level 3 assist for sure as when I purchased the car, there were half a dozen additional disclosures and notices that I had to sign when I bought the car.

There are no restrictions on where it can be used. However, the amount of assist will vary depending on the quality of the road and conditions. For example, if lane markings are unclear or missing, the lane keeping assist will not be functional. Caltrans really needs to do a better job keeping the roads properly painted. As this is an assist function, it is nice when it is there, and it has kept me from drifting out of the lane a couple of times when I was distracted.

The advanced cruise control is extremely helpful, especially on the heavily traveled very twisty highways near me. I can turn it on in Santa Cruz, and take highway 17 to San Jose without touching the accelerator or brake. The car will follow traffic, matching the speed limit as it changes and slowing down for curves. That is a tough drive at night in heavy, fast traffic with narrow lanes and no shoulders. The car makes it easy.

I also use the assist when driving on surface streets in both stop and go traffic and in light traffic conditions. If I have a car or two ahead of me, then it can handle stoplights well, stopping at the car in front and proceeding when the light turns green and the cars start moving. I have to hit the brakes manually if there are no cars in front when the light is red or at stop signs. It is not a self drive system at all, and should not be treated as such.

The only issue I see is that the car is a bit hesitant handling cars turning right into parking lots ahead of me, it slows down too much and for too long. I need to intervene to maintain an appropriate speed as the car in front clears the road. It also occasionally misreads a speed limit sign, so I do have to correct the updated speed every once and a while. I also have to change it to match the real speed of traffic, which in some areas goes about 10 MPH above the posted limit.

One annoyance is that Germans seem to be very impatient. The navigation system always wants me to take the express lane, even for short (and extremely expensive) distances. I cannot tell it to ignore express lanes, so the next turn information is off a bit as it shows express lane locations instead of the next real exit. That messed me up a few times until I realized what was happening. I am not going to pay $12 to go two miles two minutes faster and have to deal with merging across four or five lanes of traffic at each end of the express segment.

The auto lane change is interesting, but I have turned it off due to the issue above. It will try to move me all the way over next to the express lane, which means I have to navigate back when the real exit shows up. That said, the lane change assist is nice.

I should add the lane keeping assist is teaching me to properly signal lane changes in advance; I have developed some bad habits, and the car is making me correct them.
thanks for your feedback, do you have the 2024 or 2023 EQS? Also do you have to pay $2500 for the pilot feature.
Old 10-11-2024 | 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS

That's not Level 3. That's the standard Level 2 system that you are describing. Unless you are paying a $2500 per year subscription and you have the Drive Pilot button on your steering wheel and the LIDAR sensors in the front of the car as shown in post #9, you don't have Level 3 at all.

Here's a full article describing the system: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-pilot-review/

Post a picture of the front of your car.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-11-2024 at 12:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
BenjaminKohl (10-11-2024), Diesel Benz (10-11-2024), QuadBenz (10-12-2024)
Old 10-11-2024 | 01:29 PM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
Perhaps. What I can say is that what I ordered was the most complete system available at the time. Since it took 9 months between order and delivery, it is possible that what system were available could have changed significantly. I don't think there is anything in the Mercedes documentation which addresses exactly what level the car is.
Old 10-11-2024 | 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Perhaps. What I can say is that what I ordered was the most complete system available at the time. Since it took 9 months between order and delivery, it is possible that what system were available could have changed significantly. I don't think there is anything in the Mercedes documentation which addresses exactly what level the car is.
Yes, there is. You better read up on the Drive Pilot and understand exactly what system your car is equipped with, otherwise if you crash on Highway 17 with the assistance systems engaged, MB won't be liable. Level 3 only works in very limited situations. Specifically stop&go traffic and only on specifically mapped highways. Outside of that it's level 2 and you are responsible if you crash. This is partly the issue with these types of automated driving systems. Most car buyers don't fully understand the differences and think they can just let the car do the driving. Tesla's stupid calling their system Autopilot started all of this.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-11-2024 at 02:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Level 3 drive pilot?