2009 C250D blueefficiency sport - engine and garage woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C250D bluetec efficiency sport
2009 C250D blueefficiency sport - engine and garage woes

Good afternoon all - really hope someone can help with this - I don`t have a clue what to do for the best.

In January of 2016, I bought the above car, from a local garage - had to be done on a 3 yr HP agreement ( so still currently 6 months left on it).

Last June, the car, no warning, no noises, no lights - just died. Wouldn`t even crank.

I`m "lucky" in that I live next door to a garage, so had it recovered there..........they stripped it down to find it had spun no.2 crankshaft bearing shells - but only no 2. All the others appeared pristine.
So, block, crank etc sent off to be reground etc, and I had the car back 9 weeks later.

It felt a little underpowered, and a bassier note to the engine - just didn`t "feel" quite right. The garage said they would take it back in to look at it when they were a little quieter.

In March this year - 200 miles from home, the engine develops a rhythmic knocking in the bottom end, and power drops away.
Yet again, recovered to the garage....and this is where it gets strange.
They have only stripped the engine down yesterday - 5 months from when it went in. Everytime I went it, I was fobbed off with excuses - finally had to threaten him with legal action.

There is a massive amount of play in the balance shafts, and, again, no. 2 shells are gone.

The garage has not provided a courtesy car at any point.

They did not provide a work breakdown, or invoice, for the initial repair, but asked for, and were given £1000 toward the costs.

Now, verbally only ( so far) - they have said that if I buy another engine, they will fit it FOC, and forget any outstanding amounts.

But an engine is about £2,500. I don`t know if thats a good deal, are they trying to wriggle out of liability? What are my rights at this point?

All comments gratefully received.

Mart