European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

How is COVID19 affecting ED (no pun intended)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 328i coupe
So my dealer is willing to go down another 2% off on the C43 coupe, bringing the savings to almost 12%. I'm pretty happy with that and will probably go for it. He did mention that I would still have to pay for it before delivery, and that it wouldn't be eligible for US delivery incentives. Does that include the financing incentives like the 0% for 36 months? With BMW, you got whatever incentives were available through BMWFS at the time you paid for it, but sounds like MBFS works differently? BMWFS didn't give you any months off payment even when it was in transit. I'll check with MBUSA ED department to make sure, but sounds like they are still treating it as an ED order because they wanted me to fill out paperwork to have the car exported in my name. But that could also be because they gave me the option to reschedule delivery in Germany at a later date. With the uncertainty, I don't know when that would be. And with the heartbreaking news that BMW is going to end their ED program entirely, I wouldn't be surprised if MBUSA followed suit.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by efty_wi
I'm totally with you on this. I did my last car via ED (a 2018 GLC43Coupe) and the experience was amazing, from the delivery at the Center of Excellence, to a month driving around Europe. It was so great that I was planning to do it again this year, not so much for the savings, but the experience mostly.

My fear is that this pandemic might kill off the EDP completely ... Audi discontinued theirs just last year, and even MB started pulling back on the goodies associated with the delivery (e.g. no complimentary hotel stay anymore ...). I sincerely hope that this won't happen but you never know these days.

Your fear is real. BMW just cancelled their EDP program for US customers. BMW stated it is due to the fact that most people in the US are buying BMW SUVs made in South Carolina so there is no longer a need for EDP for BMW customers. I am sure COVID-19 accelerated BMW's closing of the EDP program. I sure hope MB does not follow suit and discontinue the EDP program. This would be an absolute shame since the EDP program is one of the best loyalty building programs MB has (IMHO).
Old 05-11-2020, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,787 Likes on 2,532 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Your fear is real. BMW just cancelled their EDP program for US customers. BMW stated it is due to the fact that most people in the US are buying BMW SUVs made in South Carolina so there is no longer a need for EDP for BMW customers. I am sure COVID-19 accelerated BMW's closing of the EDP program. I sure hope MB does not follow suit and discontinue the EDP program. This would be an absolute shame since the EDP program is one of the best loyalty building programs MB has (IMHO).
I won't rule it out, but I'm somewhat confident that MB will keep the program. Audi essentially stopped their program shortly after moving the Q5 production to Mexico. The Q5 is their bread and butter SUV/Crossover and the most selling vehicle in the USA. Similarly, BMW builds all their X models in the USA. MB however builds their bread and butter SUV/Crossover, the GLC in Europe. Only the GLE and GLS is built in the USA and looks like MB is moving the C-Class sedan production out of the USA, mostly to South Africa, though. I would say if they start producing the GLC in the USA, then the program might be at risk.

Sooner or later, though, I suspect these programs will go away as the electric car portfolio increases. The Autobahn somewhat loses its luster with an EV as really fast driving quickly drains the battery. It's something I noticed a lot during my ED trip last year. All the Teslas were driving at 130 kmh max. The cars that were taking advantage of the no speed limit sections were all combustion engines. EVs just don't have enough energy on board to make that kind of driving viable.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-11-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:34 PM

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Even though my ED got canceled due to C19 I still want to do it. From everything I read and watched it seemed like the most impressive loyalty immersion/generating experience one could get from the automotive world.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by AMG RB
Even though my ED got canceled due to C19 I still want to do it. From everything I read and watched it seemed like the most impressive loyalty immersion/generating experience one could get from the automotive world.
Correct! IMHO there is nothing like it. I have been buying MBs for over 25 years. It was when I started taking trips to Germany and visiting the AMG facility in Affalterbach and the factory in Sindelfingen/Center of Excellence that truly became hooked on Euro Delivery and MB. It is AWESOME! There is nothing like my '19 S63 on the Autobahn (last Euro Delivery was Nov 2018). I did not get a ticket on the Autobahn with the S63 on that trip but once I dropped off my S63 in Bremerhaven Germany to ship back to the states I rented an Audi A7 and received a Photo Ticket on my drive from northern Germany to Southern Germany. So yes one can get a speeding ticket on the Autobahn since some of the Autobahn does have speed limits and those damn cameras.

If MB execs are listening--do not get rid of the Euro Delivery program. I have already written to BMW's US CEO expressing my "sadness" with BMW eliminating their program.
The following users liked this post:
superswiss (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 05:25 PM

You've mentioned in before MT but more than MB maintaining the EDP I want them to revive my 2020 E63 order.......a '21 won't do it for me. As we all improvise, adapt and overcome the last couple of months maybe MB will find one or two that aren't spoken for...........hell, I'll even designo Manufaktur the dang car if it'll help.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:25 PM

BMW 328i coupe
Just to update everyone on my C43 coupe order, I went ahead and took them up on their offer to ship the car to me at the ED price. This was in mid-May when I originally had a June 15th delivery date. I filled out all the paperwork for ED and sent it in, and communication from the ED department and my dealer was pretty lacking (probably because they didn't know many answers themselves as this is an unprecedented situation). Late May my SA finally told me the car was scheduled to be produced 6/8. I hear nothing until a friend tells me she has a cousin that works for MBUSA and he looks up my order in Mid-July. He tells me it's been built but not assigned a ship yet. Finally I check in with my SA again in mid-August and find out that it should be on a ship! Almost two months waiting for a boat! Originally scheduled to leave Bremerhaven 8/3 and arrive Long Beach 9/9, it was a few days late and left Germany 8/8 and finally arrived at the port yesterday, 9/14. My SA said he expects it to be about a week from arrival at port to delivery, but we shall see. I asked once if they needed payment for the car before it arrives as my SA had mentioned in May, but I did not press the issue much since he did not mention it again and I would rather keep my money as long as possible and not pay for a car that I have not taken possession of yet! So I guess we will take care of that at delivery! Funny thing is that in the end, I will get my car stateside probably around the same time as I would have sans pandemic, minus the epic European road trip. A few days ago I sold my BMW that I picked up in Munich through ED almost 10 years ago in order to avoid paying for another year of registration. I have to admit I got a bit emotional letting it go. I love driving but never got too attached to my cars except for that one. There's something so special about ED and I hope that we will continue to have the opportunity to experience it in the future.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:47 PM

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Regarding ED, my SA emailed me a couple of weeks ago with an update he received from MBUSA and presumably from Germany that the EDP would remain in hiatus until Jan 2021 when it will be re-evaluated. I'm refraining from ordering until I get definitive word that the program is permanently discontinued or indefinitely delay further. I also am waiting for actual models to hit showrooms so that I can decide if I'd rather have a 2020 like I originally ordered. Needless to say I am indifferent about this limbo-like state in which I find myself.

The EDP experience is without question the single greatest motivating factor in ordering any AMG so I'm willing to wait it out.

Happy trails Roger Kim when you mount your new steed.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
F*ck Covid!
Hopefully we will be able to do ED in the spring…
And again, F*ck Covid!
Yes, I fell better now.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:09 PM

Let it out brother, heck I even feel better.

As for the resumption of the European Delivery Program, my guy tells me that MB is going to reevaluate things in Jan 2021; it could literally make the difference in deciding if I order a car or not.
NYCSoiL (09-24-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:32 AM

BMW 328i coupe
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
F*ck Covid!
Hopefully we will be able to do ED in the spring…
And again, F*ck Covid!
Yes, I fell better now.
F*ck Covid indeed!!! I certainly hope they continue the program as I would do it even without the discount. And to be honest, the discount isn't really that great considering a good negotiator would be able to get the same or more for most models. But in the end it makes for people that are enthusiastic about your brand and hooked for life! I've convinced quite a few people do do European Delivery because of my first experience with BMW 9 years ago. As for my car, it arrived at the Port of Long Beach on 9/14, cleared customs on 9/17 and went to the VPC, then arrived at my dealer today, 9/24. I pick up tomorrow afternoon!

So I asked a few people recommended on the boards about an extended warranty just to be prepared with quotes when my dealer tries to sell it to me. I find out that MBUSA started the warranty ticking on the car on 7/20 and refuses to budge on the issue, even though I specifically mentioned this was a concern of mine and asked if this would happen before I went ahead with the drop shipment (but got no answer). Therefore, since the car is past 30 days from the start of the original warranty, a 15% fee would be added for any extended warranty purchase. Had this been a normal ED, yes I would have paid for the car 30 days ahead, got to drive the car around Europe, etc. so of course the warranty would start in Europe. But I haven't even seen or touched the car, let alone pay for it and I'm already out over two months of the warranty!

Then I asked the dealer about financing as MBFS has a decent 2.99% rate running right now, but he says since it is an ED car they have to mark it up to 3.49%. That half percent under a normal ED is to help offset the 60 days payment deferral they give you for when the car is in transit and since you paid for the car 30 days before pickup. But since this was not normal, I have not paid for the car yet and do not want or need a 60 day payment deferral. That's ok though, I did get approved for a much better rate from my credit union so MBFS won't get my businesses this time!

I just feel like MBUSA is trying to nickel and dime me at every corner, and it is all leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I may have to get all Karen on their *** and write to corporate to escalate this hahaha!

But in the end I know that will all melt away when I get to drive my new car and of course I still have my health and a steady paycheck. So thanks for letting me vent here, it certainly does help!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Your last sentence says it all Roger Kim but in the past 9 months of info consumption on MBWorld I've learned that MB customer service relies on its products to make up for its sub par support of its car owners. Really disappointing but like you I'm sure I'll be intoxicated with my first AMG experience to the point that I'll find a way to live with MB's less than desirable support.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by Roger Kim
F*ck Covid indeed!!! I certainly hope they continue the program as I would do it even without the discount. And to be honest, the discount isn't really that great considering a good negotiator would be able to get the same or more for most models. But in the end it makes for people that are enthusiastic about your brand and hooked for life! I've convinced quite a few people do do European Delivery because of my first experience with BMW 9 years ago. As for my car, it arrived at the Port of Long Beach on 9/14, cleared customs on 9/17 and went to the VPC, then arrived at my dealer today, 9/24. I pick up tomorrow afternoon!

So I asked a few people recommended on the boards about an extended warranty just to be prepared with quotes when my dealer tries to sell it to me. I find out that MBUSA started the warranty ticking on the car on 7/20 and refuses to budge on the issue, even though I specifically mentioned this was a concern of mine and asked if this would happen before I went ahead with the drop shipment (but got no answer). Therefore, since the car is past 30 days from the start of the original warranty, a 15% fee would be added for any extended warranty purchase. Had this been a normal ED, yes I would have paid for the car 30 days ahead, got to drive the car around Europe, etc. so of course the warranty would start in Europe. But I haven't even seen or touched the car, let alone pay for it and I'm already out over two months of the warranty!

Then I asked the dealer about financing as MBFS has a decent 2.99% rate running right now, but he says since it is an ED car they have to mark it up to 3.49%. That half percent under a normal ED is to help offset the 60 days payment deferral they give you for when the car is in transit and since you paid for the car 30 days before pickup. But since this was not normal, I have not paid for the car yet and do not want or need a 60 day payment deferral. That's ok though, I did get approved for a much better rate from my credit union so MBFS won't get my businesses this time!

I just feel like MBUSA is trying to nickel and dime me at every corner, and it is all leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I may have to get all Karen on their *** and write to corporate to escalate this hahaha!

But in the end I know that will all melt away when I get to drive my new car and of course I still have my health and a steady paycheck. So thanks for letting me vent here, it certainly does help!
I’m sorry to hear that you have a terrible dealer.. You can try contacting Anne Doris directly regarding the warranty but I doubt they will do anything. If you want to finance shop around for your own loan, 3.49 is very high
Old 09-26-2020, 04:18 AM

BMW 328i coupe
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
I’m sorry to hear that you have a terrible dealer.. You can try contacting Anne Doris directly regarding the warranty but I doubt they will do anything. If you want to finance shop around for your own loan, 3.49 is very high
Actually my dealer has not been horrible at all, it’s more MBUSA not budging from the “normal” ED procedures even though nothing is normal at this time. My SA contacted Anne Doris and she was the one that said since it was ED the warranty starts at the delivery date (which makes no sense at all since for my original delivery date the car had not even been produced and so from what I can tell they chose some arbitrary date in July while my car was waiting to be assigned a ship). I did get a much much better rate through my credit union so I went with them. I just though it was silly of MBUSA to insist on marking up the finance rate for something I would not and could not take advantage of. But I took delivery today and the car is even more beautiful than I had imagined! But to pour salt in the wound so to speak, the car was delivered with German export plates still attached! But in the end I am happy with the deal I was able to negotiate and with this beauty!!!

NYCSoiL (09-26-2020)