European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

European Delivery update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,787 Likes on 2,532 Posts
2019 C63CS
Also if anybody wants to do an ED like European trip, there are also ways to rent a Mercedes while in Germany, including AMGs. It's not cheap, but you can rent them directly from dealerships via Mercedes-Benz Rent. Was considering it for my last trip, but because I arrived over Christmas all dealerships were closed, so no way of picking up the car. It's not as convenient as picking up a rental at the airport, but it can be done with a bit of planning. Just didn't fit my schedule this time.

https://mieten.mercedes-benz.de/?locale=en-GB

Old 07-23-2023, 03:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
Originally Posted by superswiss
Not coming back. After the devastating Felicity Ace fire last year, shippers are now refusing used cars with lithium batteries on board. Porsche, who I believe hasn't terminated their program yet doesn't offer it with the Taycan, either. Electrification is essentially the final death knell for these programs. Even car ferries have started to ban electric cars due to the sheer impossibility to put out a battery fire on a vessel. Just recently a Norwegian ferry company banned electric cars on all their ferries and that's in a country where every 2nd car sold is an EV.
Not to doubt what you posted, but Volvo still offers their European delivery program. Don't Volvos have lithium batteries? If so, how does Volvo get around the shipper's refusal of used cars with lithium batteries?
I don't want a Volvo, so just curious.

I have done two European deliveries. First was a BMW X3 and second was a MB GLC. I would order a new 2023 GLC immediately if MB still offered European Delivery. As is, I am not sure what I will replace my GLC with.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ted_jane
Not to doubt what you posted, but Volvo still offers their European delivery program. Don't Volvos have lithium batteries? If so, how does Volvo get around the shipper's refusal of used cars with lithium batteries?
I don't want a Volvo, so just curious.

I have done two European deliveries. First was a BMW X3 and second was a MB GLC. I would order a new 2023 GLC immediately if MB still offered European Delivery. As is, I am not sure what I will replace my GLC with.
I don't know which Volvo models are still eligible for European Delivery, but as was the case with all these programs, not all models were eligible. As I said above, Porsche also still does ED, but the Taycan is not eligible. I can only assume that Volvo's program is limited to their remaining ICE models. I took a quick look at their website, but they don't list the current eligible models. Just pointing out that there were always restrictions on which models could be ordered for ED. For example BMW stopped doing ED primarily because more and more Americans are buying SUVs, and most of the X models were built in the USA. Similarly with Mercedes, the GLE, GLS and C Class sedan were not eligible, either, because they were built in Alabama, and the G wagon was not eligible, because it was built in Austria.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:08 PM

Interesting. I was curious so I checked out the Volvo web site. It looks like they offer cars with three engine configurations, full electric engines, plug in hybrid engines or gas engines. All their gas engine cars are equipped with a small electric engine and 48V lithium-ion battery used during acceleration. That is, all Volvo gas engine cars are mild hybrids (MHEV).
Old 07-24-2023, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by ted_jane
Interesting. I was curious so I checked out the Volvo web site. It looks like they offer cars with three engine configurations, full electric engines, plug in hybrid engines or gas engines. All their gas engine cars are equipped with a small electric engine and 48V lithium-ion battery used during acceleration. That is, all Volvo gas engine cars are mild hybrids (MHEV).
I think the only models that are eligible are the XC90 V90XC and XC60. The 90's are built in Sweden. The 60 in Belgium. S60 is built in the US. S90 in China
Old 07-24-2023, 04:20 PM

With further research I found this web page on the Volvo site:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/form/ov...delivery-form/

It looks like some of the plug-in hybrid cars are eligible for European delivery.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2016 GLE 300d AMG Night Package
As of this day, Is the European delivery program reinstated or its dead forever?
Old 03-04-2024, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Dinismb
As of this day, Is the European delivery program reinstated or its dead forever?
It went the way of the dodo.